Nana Trish

Adding calories to slow weight loss

I've been slowly adding calories into my diet to start slowing my weight loss and it seems to be working well so far. I'm only looking to lose about 7.6 more pounds to final goal weight, but I don't want to shock my system by waiting until I hit 160 to start adding extra calories. I'm perfectly ok only losing 5-6 pounds a month now. I'm comfortable and I feel good. I don't feel it necessary to push myself into trying to get to a weigh that's suitable for someone 10 years younger than me. I just want to be comfortable, and healthy...and to be honest, I think I'm there already :) But like me, a lot of us here, maintenance is a scary place to be. When you finally reach that place where you no longer need to lose weight...just keep it off! Very intimidating! I'm starting to eat some avocado now, as well as adding in some vegetable, and I'm pretty excited about that :D Any vets that are maintaining, I'll take any and all advice you've got to offer!! Peace and love to you all, my friends ❤️❤️❤️

Edited by Nana Trish

I’m definitely not a veteran, but I thought I’d just chime in with a good job and good luck! :) 

I’m eating about 1300 calories per day now and my weight has been pretty stable for almost a month. I really screeched on the brakes and upped my intake by about 500 calories per day almost overnight. Other than sometimes feeling like I spend all day eating now, it seems to be going ok. I’m eating more fruit and veg and I’ve added a ryvita cracker or two most days (whole grain stuff). Plus more frequent beans and legumes and nuts. 

Welcome to the scary phase that is “early maintenance” - a strange but wonderful place to be.

@Nana Trish What a wild ride! Didn’t you have WLS a couple of days ago? I’m more than pleased for you. 

The hardest part about adding more calories has been increasing my carb instake. Remind yourself that you are a diabetic in *remission* and adding carbs into your diet is important. I’m not suggesting you have a loaf of bread and six cups of rice but an occasional cracker or slice of bread can help you raise your calories. My (new) nutritionist has urged me to slowly add more carbs to keep my weight stable. Carbs can be a scary thing to someone who equates carbs with high sugar numbers!

Like @Jen581791, I’m a newb, so I’m not an expert by any means. What is helping me is adding more fruit, beans and the occasional piece of high protein flatbread to make a sandwich. I’m not a fan of processed foods but these flatbreads are “ok” https://www.flatoutbread.com/

7 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

I’m definitely not a veteran, but I thought I’d just chime in with a good job and good luck! :) 

I’m eating about 1300 calories per day now and my weight has been pretty stable for almost a month. I really screeched on the brakes and upped my intake by about 500 calories per day almost overnight. Other than sometimes feeling like I spend all day eating now, it seems to be going ok. I’m eating more fruit and veg and I’ve added a ryvita cracker or two most days (whole grain stuff). Plus more frequent beans and legumes and nuts. 

Welcome to the scary phase that is “early maintenance” - a strange but wonderful place to be.

Thanks, Jen!! ❤️ 

I'm not looking to stop quite yet, but slowing it down now is a good idea. I mean, the weight loss has slowed a bit on its own but it seems to be picking up again over the last few days. Normally that would be a good thing, but now that most of my weight is gone, I can see how much muscle wasting has happened, and I'm starting to look too bony in some places. Not to mention how twisted my back has become (progressive scoliosis), and my knees...well I'm not even going there right now. My back had started to feel considerably better, but now the pain is coming back with a vengeance...sighs...

Wow, I can only hope to reach 1,300 a day :) that's awesome! I've added in a second snack most days now, and I'm hitting about 825 calories a day. Just adding in that one snack makes me feel like I'm eating all day already, lol :) I'm still a bit nervous about trying fruits, but I will be adding a bit in when I'm actually done losing. For now it's been the roasted edamame.

2 hours ago, NerdyToothpick said:

@Nana Trish What a wild ride! Didn’t you have WLS a couple of days ago? I’m more than pleased for you. 

The hardest part about adding more calories has been increasing my carb instake. Remind yourself that you are a diabetic in *remission* and adding carbs into your diet is important. I’m not suggesting you have a loaf of bread and six cups of rice but an occasional cracker or slice of bread can help you raise your calories. My (new) nutritionist has urged me to slowly add more carbs to keep my weight stable. Carbs can be a scary thing to someone who equates carbs with high sugar numbers!

Like @Jen581791, I’m a newb, so I’m not an expert by any means. What is helping me is adding more fruit, beans and the occasional piece of high protein flatbread to make a sandwich. I’m not a fan of processed foods but these flatbreads are “ok” https://www.flatoutbread.com/

Thank you, @NerdyToothpick!! ❤️ 

Yes, right this minute, it seems like just weeks ago that I had surgery :) I realized the other day that I'm no longer really "new" at this anymore, and that I'm actually living my new life now without much thought! Yay!! I'm still weighing my food (I will ALWAYS do that) and even when I slip up, I'm still making the best choices under the circumstances that I can. I think my brain has finally flipped on that switch, and I've gone from the "I hope I can do this...I think I can do this...am i DOING this?" phase to actually doing it and being comfortable and happy living and eating like this! 

Yeah, ahh the dreaded "C" word. This one is going to be hard for me. I have been eating less than 50 grams of carbs a day since the start of my pre op diet, which will be one year  (a week from tomorrow), and I've been in remission since before surgery. Early on post op, I was occasionally eating a half low carb pita with my chicken salad. It never really had a bad effect on my sugar, or even gave me the jitters. So that's a possibility if the mood strikes me. But yesterday, oh yesterday (lol) I shared some of Harper's avocado with him during lunch. It was glorious! It's probably one of my most favorite foods :) I plan on adding more of that into my diet, plus I made a nice turkey chili a few days ago, and I use the white kidney beans in that. So I'm sneaking a few carbs in here and there now. Just slowly :) But you're right...my brain equates carbs with high sugar numbers, and that scares the living crap out of me. I'm seeing my endo next month, then my surgeon in May (for my one year surgiversary...yay!!) so I'll also ask for suggestions from them :) 

10 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

But like me, a lot of us here, maintenance is a scary place to be. When you finally reach that place where you no longer need to lose weight...just keep it off! Very intimidating!

Maintenance is wonderful - not scary or intimidating. You are at your goal weight. You can eat more food. You feel great. You look great. What’s not to like!:D

2 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

I've added in a second snack most days now, and I'm hitting about 825 calories a day.

Two words: Peanut. Butter.

It's a huge help right now :) 

@Nana Trish Cheese. Bacon very well cooked to rid it of as much fat as possible. Grilled or broiled sardines. 

For a carb: Farro. Cook it with chicken broth - - chewy, delicious, and high fiber too. 

Best fun addition: Sliced bright red radishes (very thin) with crumbled feta cheese, fresh parsley leaves, some reduced balsamic vinegar and fragrant olive oil. :wub: Guests rave when I serve this. (Use fresh parsley leaves, not dried!)

Oh! I forgot to mention full fat yogurt. Life is too short to eat substandard yogurt. I could write an entire blog about my love of yogurt. A few spoonfuls of full fat yogurt beats a container of artificially sweetened yogurt any day. 

6 hours ago, NerdyToothpick said:

Oh! I forgot to mention full fat yogurt. Life is too short to eat substandard yogurt. I could write an entire blog about my love of yogurt. A few spoonfuls of full fat yogurt beats a container of artificially sweetened yogurt any day. 

Oh yes. I eat 4 oz of full fat Greek yogurt with 1/4 cup of berries or pomegranate seeds every day. No sweetener necessary.

On 3/8/2018 at 11:37 AM, Res Ipsa said:

Maintenance is wonderful - not scary or intimidating. You are at your goal weight. You can eat more food. You feel great. You look great. What’s not to like!:D

I think the part that scares me the most is not being able to balance the new higher calorie diet without experiencing regain. I just want to make sure I do it right from the get go...I don’t even want to think of what a regain would do to me after all of this. But I am looking forward to actually being in the maintenance phase all the same. Just something new to be worried about, lol.

On 3/8/2018 at 1:12 PM, Jen581791 said:

Two words: Peanut. Butter.

It's a huge help right now :) 

I love peanut butter...I will have a tablespoon every now and then. Hubby gets it freshly made at the Healthy Living market, and it’s organic and nothing but peanuts. We can get almond butter there too, and that’s pretty delicious. It’ll be weird to be in a place where I can eat some and not subtract calories from another meal to account for it :) 

On 3/8/2018 at 2:11 PM, BurgundyBoy said:

@Nana Trish Cheese. Bacon very well cooked to rid it of as much fat as possible. Grilled or broiled sardines. 

For a carb: Farro. Cook it with chicken broth - - chewy, delicious, and high fiber too. 

Best fun addition: Sliced bright red radishes (very thin) with crumbled feta cheese, fresh parsley leaves, some reduced balsamic vinegar and fragrant olive oil. :wub: Guests rave when I serve this. (Use fresh parsley leaves, not dried!)

Cheese is my middle name, lol...I eat it everyday. At least once, sometimes twice. I do like bacon, but I don’t eat it very often because of the sodium content. I eat more turkey bacon than pork. Not a fan of sardines. 

What is farro? I’ve never heard of that...I should probably google it before I post this haha. I can definitely use the extra fiber. 

The radish/feta/parsley sounds delightful ❤️ That’s definitely something I can get on board with :) 

With hubby’s newer diet requirements, I’ve started eating veggie burgers and mashed garlic cauliflower a couple of times a week which is actually a nice change. I can’t eat ground beef anymore, because all I can taste (and feel on my tongue...ew) is fat, and that’s with the beef being 93% lean grass fed. I know the veggie burgers and cauliflower don’t help to raise my calories, they do allow me to add an additional snack/meal in during the day. I’m excited to start trying/adding new things into my diet :) 

@NerdyToothpick and @Jen581791, I wouldn’t mind eating the full fat yogurt, but I can’t stomach the plain Greek. I could probably try it with berries when I reach that stage though. Sounds like it might be tasty :) 

On 3/9/2018 at 8:09 PM, Nana Trish said:

@NerdyToothpick and @Jen581791, I wouldn’t mind eating the full fat yogurt, but I can’t stomach the plain Greek. I could probably try it with berries when I reach that stage though. Sounds like it might be tasty :) 

Unless it’s homemade, I’m not a fan of Greek yogurt. I know I’m sacrificing protein  by eating regular yogurt but it’s a choice I’m willing to make. 

@Nana Trish Do you not like plain yogurt or plain Greek yogurt?

20 minutes ago, NerdyToothpick said:

Unless it’s homemade, I’m not a fan of Greek yogurt. I know I’m sacrificing protein  by eating regular yogurt but it’s a choice I’m willing to make. 

@Nana Trish Do you not like plain yogurt or plain Greek yogurt?

Sorry, @NerdyToothpick, I should have specified. I don’t like any plain yogurt, lol. But since I’ve started eating the flavored Greek yogurts, I much prefer those over regular yogurt. The texture of the Greek is much more to my liking :)