bellamoma

Thoughts on 2 years out!

On March 10, 2018 at 6:59 PM, Readytobeme said:

Thanks for the great update @bellamoma I do have a question for you. I have seen a few WLS vets here and there mention that they feel it is much easier to gain weight years out from surgery than it was before surgery. Do you find this to be true?

I do not find that to be true for me, now at 28 months out. If I had not had the surgery, i wouldn't have gotten into the 130s at all. I had tried very hard to lose the weight with Weight watchers- following it religiously- and only lost 18lb. The lowest I could get pre-wls was 185lb.  I feel i can pretty easily maintain between 137-145lb. I have a favorite food that I eat 3x a day, with one snack. if I do that, I can maintain just fine. I travel up to the 140s usually during my PMS weeks and then come back down during the repentant part of my cycle, lol. I truly do not think that it would have been possible to lose as much weight as I did without the surgery. Getting down to a healthy weight is a big part of the battle. Maintaining it is the other half. But I do believe it is possible. The biggest mistake is thinking you can go back to your old eating habits and maintain your weight loss. you can't.  it's a forever change. you still have to do your part. i hope this helps answer your question. sorry for the delay in reply! xo

1 hour ago, bellamoma said:

Getting down to a healthy weight is a big part of the battle. Maintaining it is the other half. But I do believe it is possible. The biggest mistake is thinking you can go back to your old eating habits and maintain your weight loss. you can't.  it's a forever change. you still have to do your part. 

As usual, I totally agree with @bellamoma.  This is 100% true.

11 hours ago, bellamoma said:

I do not find that to be true for me, now at 28 months out. If I had not had the surgery, i wouldn't have gotten into the 130s at all. I had tried very hard to lose the weight with Weight watchers- following it religiously- and only lost 18lb. The lowest I could get pre-wls was 185lb.  I feel i can pretty easily maintain between 137-145lb. I have a favorite food that I eat 3x a day, with one snack. if I do that, I can maintain just fine. I travel up to the 140s usually during my PMS weeks and then come back down during the repentant part of my cycle, lol. I truly do not think that it would have been possible to lose as much weight as I did without the surgery. Getting down to a healthy weight is a big part of the battle. Maintaining it is the other half. But I do believe it is possible. The biggest mistake is thinking you can go back to your old eating habits and maintain your weight loss. you can't.  it's a forever change. you still have to do your part. i hope this helps answer your question. sorry for the delay in reply! xo

Great to have this in mind from you .thanks great advice

13 hours ago, bellamoma said:

I have a favorite food that I eat 3x a day,

I have to ask....what is this "favorite food"? Do you seriously eat the same thing 3x a day, every day? Isn't that a tad boring. Not being judgey here, I'm just intrigued if food means so little to you these days that you don't care at all about variety. I certainly have a very limited range of foods I eat, but no way could I eat the same thing day in and day out.

19 hours ago, bellamoma said:

I agree. It is not easier for me to gain weight now than it was before surgery. But, when I do gain - it is far more obvious. Pre-WLS, I could gain 15 pounds and not notice because I wasn't that much bigger and my clothes still felt the same. But now, if I gain 3 pounds, I can tell before I get on the scale. I see it in my waist and I can feel it when I put my clothes on. 

Also agree the biggest mistake you can make is going back to your old eating - even in smaller portions. If you do that on a regular basis, your weight will shoot up. 

On May 7, 2018 at 7:07 AM, Aussie Bear said:

I have to ask....what is this "favorite food"? Do you seriously eat the same thing 3x a day, every day? Isn't that a tad boring. Not being judgey here, I'm just intrigued if food means so little to you these days that you don't care at all about variety. I certainly have a very limited range of foods I eat, but no way could I eat the same thing day in and day out.

i hear you, and understand that it seems crazy, but it's true.  i have zero interest in cooking for myself. it's a greek yogurt with a protein bar crumbled into it. it's delicious, filling, and fast. i don't want to cook every night, and if i cook something, there is just too much left over and i end up throwing it out. i will occasionally make a bacon egg and cheese sandwich, or fries if i am PMSing, very occasionally have a pancake with bacon.  sometimes i will have naughty foods, usually when i'm battling pms. but yes, day in and day out i eat the same thing. i don't mind a bit, honestly.  

I agree, it’s greek yogurt and apples or berries at home.   On vacation ( I’m in the Cayman Islands now) I’m happy with protein).