Hi. I am 1 week post gastric bypass op, unfortunately my problem was intensifying throughout my 11 day LRD pre-op. 5 days post op I found myself with fecal instriction (most unpleasant. After resolving this I had a BM yesterday but nothing today. I'm taking stool softeners twice daily and drinking 2litres per day. I am the same weight as I was pre- LRD and feel bloated and unable to eat more than a couple of teaspoons of food at a time today. I've had constipation issues all my life, I was hoping this would resolve. Has anyone else experienced similar problems? Thanks 

Your surgeon cleared food at one week post op?  Standard is liquids only for at least 2 weeks.  That said constipation is not uncommon at this stage, I went completely the other direction, but I have never been normal. Given the amount of IV liquids the hospital gives and the swelling from the trauma feeling a bit bloated should be expected as well.  Many of us leave the hospital heavier than we went in due to the fluids which could explain why your scale doesn't seem to have moved vs. preop weight 

I'm sorry you're dealing with chronic constipation MazzaF - unfortunately, it isn't unusual - pretty much everyone has to deal with constipation to some degree or other in the early days post-op.

I (and a lot of people) found that a combination of stool softeners and Miralax (or cheaper generic polyethylene glycol 3350) to be successful.  But if the problem continues, contact your surgeon's office. 

I don't know if polyethylene glycol is widely available in the UK but I know you can get it online - eBay and Amazon.

11 minutes ago, hermit0208 said:

Your surgeon cleared food at one week post op?  Standard is liquids only for at least 2 weeks. .......

MazzaF is in the UK - they seem to have a different programme than here in the US.

Thanks for responding. I shall try to get Miralax off Amazon. In the UK we are able to eat puréed food 2 days after op for 4 weeks, we then progress on to soft foods for a further 2 weeks moving on to solids at 6 weeks. 

18 minutes ago, MazzaF said:

Thanks for responding. I shall try to get Miralax off Amazon. In the UK we are able to eat puréed food 2 days after op for 4 weeks, we then progress on to soft foods for a further 2 weeks moving on to solids at 6 weeks. 

Color me jealous, I would have sold my soul for something that at least tasted like actual food after a solid month of nothing but protein shakes.

On 07/03/2018 at 7:18 AM, hermit0208 said:

Color me jealous, I would have sold my soul for something that at least tasted like actual food after a solid month of nothing but protein shakes.

I had my surgery in Australia and we were fed actual food (soft and sloppy obviously) the day after surgery. Had to actually be eating it as well before discharge.

On 3/6/2018 at 10:47 AM, MazzaF said:

Hi. I am 1 week post gastric bypass op, unfortunately my problem was intensifying throughout my 11 day LRD pre-op. 5 days post op I found myself with fecal instriction (most unpleasant. After resolving this I had a BM yesterday but nothing today. I'm taking stool softeners twice daily and drinking 2litres per day. I am the same weight as I was pre- LRD and feel bloated and unable to eat more than a couple of teaspoons of food at a time today. I've had constipation issues all my life, I was hoping this would resolve. Has anyone else experienced similar problems? Thanks 

I had issues immediately post op. Keep in mind, 2 L (~64 oz) is generally considered the minimum amount you should be getting in a day. I myself had to increase that to 3 L/day, that keeps my bowels barely happy. Also very early out you are not eating much so there's not much bulk to form a stool. I used Benefiber mixed in my protein drink for the first 6 weeks or so.

Finally, I also started taking a stool softener (2 in the AM, 1 in the PM) and adding it to Miralax once a day. That at least is what made things "tolerable" for me. I quit the Miralax two weeks ago to see what would happen, and it wasn't too bad, so I'm just going to keep with the stool softener for a while and see how it goes. Many folks here have reported needing to be on stool softener plus Miralax for two or three years before adapting.

So increase your water/liquids as you are able, shooting for an extra L a day. Add stool softener and Miralax. If you have a hard time getting Miralax, ask your pharmacist for polyethylene glycolit's what Miralax is and they should be able to figure out the UK equivalent. 

51 minutes ago, Aussie Bear said:

I had my surgery in Australia and we were fed actual food (soft and sloppy obviously) the day after surgery. Had to actually be eating it as well before discharge.

On 3/6/2018 at 3:28 PM, MazzaF said:

That's because there is an absence of data that we all have to be on liquids for as long as is common in the US after our WLS. <_< An excess of caution. 

@MazzaF Would also really be aggressive with the psyllium or other fibers as a bulking agent. You can flog your intestines with the agents that induce contractions ...but your guts get used to them and quit responding so vigorously. Your body doesn't, and can't, become resistant to the good effects of fiber than bulks up your stools. I bet you know all this though if this has been a chronic problem for you!

Beans, peas, cabbage, lentils, brocoli, 

I guess we all, or nearly all, track our liquids and protein after surgery; I think we need to track our fiber intake as well.

(I've had 15 grams of fiber so far today). If I miss my dietary fiber on any given day, I pay the following days...

Thanks very much for advice 

I had the same problem my bowel lost peristalsis and I had a week of colonic irrigation to reactivate peristalsis  and am now on senna liquid ten mls and ten of lactulose and going daily . :D 

It was a pain as I  felt horrid and toxic  ...good luck finding what works for you