Animalrescuer18

Surgery is 6 weeks from today!

I am so excited for my surgery but also a bit nervous! Guess the nervousness is normal for any upcoming surgery. As I was cleaning out my garage this past weekend I had to keep stopping to rest. Every time I had to sit down I would imagine how nice it will be when I shed the extra 100 lbs that's holding me back. Thank you all for sharing your experiences. It has helped me immensely and I hope I will be able to return the favor to others after I have surgery.  :)

I have a very large (read huge) garden.  I had to keep a chair out there to rest every 5 minutes.  It took me most of the day after hubby turned it over to plant it.  Now it only takes a couple of hours.  I no longer have a chair out there either:).   The things we can enjoy more..

Edited by Cheesehead

1 hour ago, Animalrescuer18 said:

I am so excited for my surgery but also a bit nervous! Guess the nervousness is normal for any upcoming surgery. As I was cleaning out my garage this past weekend I had to keep stopping to rest. Every time I had to sit down I would imagine how nice it will be when I shed the extra 100 lbs that's holding me back. Thank you all for sharing your experiences. It has helped me immensely and I hope I will be able to return the favor to others after I have surgery.  :)

You will be surprised how much more energy you will have and all the things you can do without breaking a sweat! Excited for you!

The other side is so much easier!  I was walking the dog with my roomie today and we went up the Big Hill near my house.  I remember quite clearly going to an open house about mid-way up the hill three years ago, when I was around 300# - I hurt so much by the time I got there I was almost in tears, and had to sit down the entire time my roomie and a friend were looking at the house.  Today I went up it just as fast as Leah did, and was able to actually have a conversation at the top!  Kind of amazing.  Then we did the full 2 mile walk - last year at this time, I couldn't have walked a block. 

I'm super annoyed about a 3 week stall that (hopefully) started to break just today - it's going to make my weight loss total for this month pretty low compared to other months.  But even so, even if I didn't lose anything more ever - I'm so happy I did this, and so grateful to be able to move and be active and strong.  :)

You are all so encouraging!:D

It is truly wonderful once you approach and then reach your goal weight to be able to be very active without immediately getting tired and sweaty.  Indeed, I have discovered that I now really like to be active.  As a long time member here once said, once you lose your extra weight you will feel so much more 'alive."    

I lost about 125 pounds with my gastric bypass.  A heavy suitcase weighs about 45 pounds; so my lost weight is the equivalent of me no longer having to carry the equivalent of almost three heavy suitcases 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

It's so close now...hooray!!! You will be amazed at how much easier just living life day to day will be after you drop the weight :) You will be able to enjoy things that other people take for granted, and it's the most awesome feeling!! A big one for me was being able to walk up my stairs without being so out of breath I thought I might faint. Not only am I NOT out of breath at the top, but I don't break out in a sweat anymore! I actually had to push an office chair around with me just so I could vacuum. I could get through about half of one room, and then I had to sit in the chair to finish it. Now I can do the entire first floor, vacuum and mop, and it still blows my mind that I don't need the chair anymore!

You're gonna love it! :D

Thank you so much for the encouraging words! I forgot what it’s like to get to the top so the stairs without huffing and puffing. 

Pre-WLS, I sweated like a pack horse in the summer - not that the PNW is known for high summer temps.

We live in a rural area and heat solely with wood that we cut, split and stack ourselves starting in the spring thru summer and lifting a 60-70lb piece of trunk onto a log splitter had me sweating like a pack horse.

That's not the case now although since losing my excess weight, I am no longer to able to lift the weight that I used to but according to my doc. that was not unusual because weight loss inevitably involves the loss of both fat and muscle.  I could regain that strength if I hit the gym regularly and did some serious weight lifting but I don't want to look like Arnie Schwarzenegger.