So i am extremely constipated sorry for the tmi but i have not had a bm since this past Wednesday. Ended up in the Er Saturday. So i have tried everything enemas suppositories i took a whole 10 oz dose of magnesium citrate and still nothing. I am waiting on the surgeons office to call back but i am miserable and having so much abdominal pain. What else can i possibly do to clear this up.

Ugh, I hate that so much - it sounds like you're doing everything right.  The only thing I don't see in your list is any walking - are you able to move around?  I find that even a short walk around the block can help ease the pain, even if nothing, ummmm, results from it.

It's important to keep ahead of the constipation issue, especially in early phases of the diet.  I take a stool softener every day, and miralax every other day, to keep things moving.  When I forget... things get BAD.

I have been trying to move around as much as possible and i take a stool softner twice a day. Ugh hopefully i get some relief soon.

10 minutes ago, ktallon said:

I have been trying to move around as much as possible and i take a stool softner twice a day. Ugh hopefully i get some relief soon.

Add a dose of Miralax (or cheaper generic) to those stool softeners ..... that should help.

15 minutes ago, ktallon said:

It's a constant battle. Not remembering exactly where you are in the "what I can eat now" category - I cook up cannelloni or black beans (inexpensive, good protein, and they can be pureed ) - all high in fiber. It can be dressed up with whatever spices or a bit of olive oil. If I add psyllium (the stuff in metamucil) to my morning shake, and have 200-300 calories of beans in the course of the day, I am guaranteed to be regular with a daily BM.

This is an old-fashioned approach, but it works - you can get pharmacy grade mineral oil pretty inexpensively too - you don't absorb it, but it helps "grease things up" so your stools pass much more easily. Be sure to use pharmacy grade and not the technical grade stuff.

Hope this helps!

2 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

It's a constant battle. Not remembering exactly where you are in the "what I can eat now" category - I cook up cannelloni or black beans (inexpensive, good protein, and they can be pureed ) - all high in fiber. It can be dressed up with whatever spices or a bit of olive oil. If I add psyllium (the stuff in metamucil) to my morning shake, and have 200-300 calories of beans in the course of the day, I am guaranteed to be regular with a daily BM.

This is an old-fashioned approach, but it works - you can get pharmacy grade mineral oil pretty inexpensively too - you don't absorb it, but it helps "grease things up" so your stools pass much more easily. Be sure to use pharmacy grade and not the technical grade stuff.

Hope this helps!

I used a lot of Miralax in the early days, but I'll second BB's advice: I'm eating a quarter cup of beans most days now, plus psyllium in my protein shakes (I don't notice it if I blend it up). That seems to be the silver bullet: I haven't had any problems of late.

Best of luck. Not fun. Senna tea is pretty good for emergencies (but not long term daily maintenance of poo schedule). 

Ugh. So sorry. Great suggestions so far. Also, lots and lots of fluids.

Smooth move tea?  Decaf coffee?  

I took 2 chewable fiber tablets, 2 stool softeners and 2 probiotics..per day to keep things going.  If that didn’t work I took a dose of MOM.  

I have a hot lemon water every morning first thing. I usually have a BM within 15 minutes of that. I also add a serving of soluble non-thickening fibre (think benefibre) to my morning protien shake. On the rare days I don't have a BM I'll have a smooth moves tea that night.  Maybe twice since my surgery that regime hasn't done the trick so I'll use a mini enema....that never fails. The trick I find is to always stay on top of the problem. I never let myself go more than 48 has without a BM. Once you can get your digestive system moving again, always stay on top of it. Find what works for you and practice it religiously. None of these things might work for you right now but once things do start working again keep the wheel greased.....literally if that works!

KT, what did they say when you went to the ER? It really sounds like you may already have a blockage. That magnesium citrate should work unless there is something stopping it from working. If you don't get relief very soon, you may need to see GI Dr.

1 hour ago, Readytobeme said:

KT, what did they say when you went to the ER? It really sounds like you may already have a blockage. That magnesium citrate should work unless there is something stopping it from working. If you don't get relief very soon, you may need to see GI Dr.

I agree. Funny story here...I had my latest check with my bariatric surgeon last week. Told him of a problem I was having and he said I needed a referral from my doctor to see a general surgeon.....then told me he wouldn't need to see me again for 6 months. I got the referral and as I was at the hospital for an iron infusion went into the consulting suite afterwards to book an appointment with a general surgeon. Earliest I could get is the week before Easter so I took it. Looked at the card afterwards and the appointment is actually with my bariatric surgeon!!!! In this country at least bariatric surgeons are also general surgeon's and upper GI surgeons.