Kio

Shirataki noodles / Miracle noodles - too good to be true?

A friend of mine who's on Keto (my visiting-nurse who does my IVIG infusions, actually) just recommended this to me as a super low carb (less than 1g carb per serving) noodle alternative/replacement.  She had RNY about 10 years ago, gained some but not all of her weight back, and has recently been on Keto to get back to her goal weight (which she has done, go her!) 

The ingredients are:  Purified water, Konjac flour, and carbon hydroxide. I looked up konjac flour online, and it supposedly has some great effects (inhibits absorption of cholesterol and glucose, some laxative effects that I would definitely not turn down at this point in my wls journey!) but apparently also a bad effect (possible blockages of the esophagus!?)  The noodles come in different shapes (angel hair, fettuccini, macaroni, etc) and also in a rice shape. Advertised as 97% water and 3% fiber - gluten/soy/dairy free.

My friend claims that it has a weird smell straight out of the package that dissipates on cooking, and that it takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it with. (She's eating a stir fry she made with it in my kitchen right now, and it smells awesome).  I would mostly be using it as a low-carb sauce-protein-fat delivery system if I used it.

But, I never like to try anything so different/new without running it past my panel of experts!  Have any of you guys ever tried it?  Is it good?  Does it work?  Any adverse effects?  Reviews and opinions welcome!

I did not care for them but that's no reason for you not to try them.  And with just 5 calories and 1g carbs per serving,  they won't do any damage.

Personally, I like making veggie noodles (carrots, broccoli stems and zucchini).

I didn't care for them, and I too am on the veggie noodle bandwagon!

They're weird but edible. The only problem I see with them is they have very little nutritional value and will fill you up quickly. They are quite filling.

The reviews always said they were weird, so I never went for it. I always opted for spiralized zucchini, spaghetti squash, or edamame noodles (although this last option can be carby). Report back if you try them!

WARNING: I tried these a few weeks ago and they got soooooo stuck! I chewed like crazy. I had them in miso broth. I worked so hard at making sure they'd go down OK. They did not. I got about 5 bites down before they felt the need to make a reappearance in the world. My stomach was super p!issed off and I couldn't eat again for the rest of the day. I will not be trying them again any time soon. 

Your mileage may vary - I've read some people post-op eating them just fine.

Pre-op I used to eat them fairly frequently - they have to be rinsed really REALLY well so they don't smell funny. There's almost nothing digestible in them - that's why they have like no carbs or calories. They're pretty good in Asian style noodly things, but I can't picture them as regular Italian-style pasta. 

17 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

WARNING: I tried these a few weeks ago and they got soooooo stuck! I chewed like crazy. I had them in miso broth. I worked so hard at making sure they'd go down OK. They did not. I got about 5 bites down before they felt the need to make a reappearance in the world. My stomach was super p!issed off and I couldn't eat again for the rest of the day. I will not be trying them again any time soon. 

Pre-op I used to eat them fairly frequently - they have to be rinsed really REALLY well so they don't smell funny. There's almost nothing digestible in them - that's why they have like no carbs or calories. They're pretty good in Asian style noodly things, but I can't picture them as regular Italian-style pasta. 

I'm glad you said this! I bought a few packages of the rice, but definitely will be holding off for a more months now based on your experience.

On 3/1/2018 at 11:32 PM, Jen581791 said:

Good God, @Jen581791! That sounds awful. :(

@Kio I agree with Jen’s assessment of the noodles. They are good in Asian type stir fry meals. They soak up soy sauce well. IMHO they are vile as an Italian pasta substitute. They are a bit rubbery and they do stink until washed very well. 

I used to be a big fan in my Weight Watchers/Keto/The Official Starve Myself Into Shedding Pounds Diet days. I don’t think i’ll be eating these noodles because they make me feel like I’m eating diet food. 

2 hours ago, NerdyToothpick said:

I don’t think i’ll be eating these noodles because they make me feel like I’m eating diet food. 

To quote my new favorite comedy (The Good Place): "That's so human. You take something you love and ruin it a little so you can have more." He was talking about frozen yogurt, but I think this applies to a whole lot of other things, including shirataki noodles. And fat-free almost everything. 

giphy.gif

Edited by Jen581791

Side note! Everyone should be watching The Good Place. This show is...giphy.gif

I think I must be missing some notifications - all these responses and I had no idea!!

Thanks for the thoughts and reviews!  @Jen581791 and @NerdyToothpick - you guys are hilarious.  :)  I also looooooove the Good Place!  And you're both probably right, it seems like a bad plan.  I admit - I saw some in the store, and just looking at it kind of ruined the idea for me.  But the thought that it could also get stuck, ugh ugh ugh - I just got out of a month or so of not much staying down, and I have NO desire to go back in that direction.

So for now, I shall remain noodle free! I'd just rather not take the risk.  *shudder*

1 hour ago, Kio said:

I think I must be missing some notifications - all these responses and I had no idea!!

Thanks for the thoughts and reviews!  @Jen581791 and @NerdyToothpick - you guys are hilarious.  :)  I also looooooove the Good Place!  And you're both probably right, it seems like a bad plan.  I admit - I saw some in the store, and just looking at it kind of ruined the idea for me.  But the thought that it could also get stuck, ugh ugh ugh - I just got out of a month or so of not much staying down, and I have NO desire to go back in that direction.

So for now, I shall remain noodle free! I'd just rather not take the risk.  *shudder*

Just to paint a fuller picture, it was my one year surgiversary day. It made me feel SUPER successful and on top of my eating, let me tell you :lol:

3 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

Just to paint a fuller picture, it was my one year surgiversary day. It made me feel SUPER successful and on top of my eating, let me tell you :lol:

LOL - I know the feeling!  Like when I hit my 3 month and suddenly couldn't keep down a PROTEIN SHAKE?!?  Reaalllllly on the ball there.

18 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Oh no!!!!

Happy Surgiversary to *VOMMMM* you! 

I bought them and left the package laying in my fruit basket, trying to work up the nerve to try them. I finally opened them, and just NO WAY. NONE. Not happening. I threw them away. YUCK. lol Sounds too like from some of the comments above they're not worth us as WLS patients messing with.