Maggie K

5 months out of surgery and tumbling........help

Surgery Sept. 26, 2017.  Was doing real good, eating what i should and all of a sudden about 3 weeks ago I have lost control.  My problem had always been sweets and I went to a party and had a few and now I can't stop.  I joined the ymca today for swim excercises along with the walking and bicycling I had been doing.  I am seeming to finally get some control back and actually did not gain any weight however.........I'm afraid.    Is my time up, or do I just need to work harder and concentrate.  No more goodies in the house for others.  Period.   Thanks for any insight.  

You need to immediately get back on plan...protein and veggies.  Stay away not only from sweets but also simple carbs like rice, bread and pasta.  Carb addiction/craving can be intense but a few days of just protein and veggies can dramatically decrease the power carbs have.  We have all faltered and it's important to acknowledge it then get on with your life.  You can do this!

Thanks msmarymac.  I had truly forgotten how easy it was to not care about the sweets and carbs after having just the protein, veggies & shakes.  So yes, I began today and will continue. I'm sure I will lose that intense craving shortly.  Thanks for your help  !!!

2 hours ago, msmarymac said:

You need to immediately get back on plan...protein and veggies.  Stay away not only from sweets but also simple carbs like rice, bread and pasta.  Carb addiction/craving can be intense but a few days of just protein and veggies can dramatically decrease the power carbs have.  We have all faltered and it's important to acknowledge it then get on with your life.  You can do this!

Absolutely this. Sugar/carb cravings are really powerful.

You're exactly right, detox from those carbs. They light up your brain like drugs, and you start needing bigger and bigger quantities to feel satisfied. The good news is it only takes about 3 days to get back on track. You can do it.

Edited by Gretta

Thanks so much all for your encouragement and good advice! ! !

15 hours ago, msmarymac said:

This is such good, helpful advice. I'm happy for the weight I've lost but I hate that the biggest contributor is an ongoing battle against cravings! 

54 minutes ago, cinwa said:

I believed this to be true even before the data was there, due to personal experience.  I've always said that the cravings I have that drive me to overeat are the same as decades ago when I quit smoking.  Very powerful!

Edited by msmarymac

12 hours ago, Gretta said:

You're exactly right, detox from those carbs. They light up your brain like drugs. and you start needing bigger and bigger quantities to feel satisfied. The good news is it only takes about 3 days to get back on track. You can do it.

Well, @Maggie K  at least you got a valuable lesson and some personal insight.  A bit of a scary experience for you but if you end up more able to say what undercuts your success, then it was not an unmitigated disaster. 

@Gretta's dead right, the dopamine brain rush you get from carbs is like cocaine (except, I guess, that you gain weight from carbs but lose weight doing cocaine). Hadn't seen the article @cinwa posted but it is a good summary of the evidence for this. 

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:05 PM, Maggie K said:

Surgery Sept. 26, 2017.  Was doing real good, eating what i should and all of a sudden about 3 weeks ago I have lost control.  My problem had always been sweets and I went to a party and had a few and now I can't stop.  I joined the ymca today for swim excercises along with the walking and bicycling I had been doing.  I am seeming to finally get some control back and actually did not gain any weight however.........I'm afraid.    Is my time up, or do I just need to work harder and concentrate.  No more goodies in the house for others.  Period.   Thanks for any insight.  

I had problems with portion control and SWEETS !! These things cant be in the house unless it is something I don't like or care about. Once in awhile I go to Braums and get a sm frozen yogurt twist in a cup. I did get off track in month 4 or 5 but quickly put proteins first and I have no issues as long as I do that everyday.