kristinwitha_k

Talk to me about Body Pump

How hard is it? Will I embarrass and/or kill myself trying it? Is it possible to modify the moves? 

I'm decently strong and have been doing water aerobics and a weekly yoga lesson since August at my highest weight, but I'm nervous about trying other classes and not being able to keep up.

You'll be fine. You can modify anything you need to. The instructor will suggest lots of modifications. They do the same routine for three months, so you'll get better and better at it too. Go for it.

11 hours ago, kristinwitha_k said:

How hard is it? Will I embarrass and/or kill myself trying it? Is it possible to modify the moves? 

Thanks for asking a question that I've been thinking about, but haven't thought to ask myself! I'll try Body Pump if you do it, @kristinwitha_k. Deal?

36 minutes ago, Boho Rosy said:

Thanks for asking a question that I've been thinking about, but haven't thought to ask myself! I'll try Body Pump if you do it, @kristinwitha_k. Deal?

Deal! If @Gretta, the exercise expert, says we can do it, then WE CAN DO IT. :) I need to check my fitness center schedule. I think there's one tonight, but I"m not sure I can make that - might have an after work thing. 

4 hours ago, kristinwitha_k said:

Deal! If @Gretta, the exercise expert, says we can do it, then WE CAN DO IT. :) I need to check my fitness center schedule. I think there's one tonight, but I"m not sure I can make that - might have an after work thing. 

My gym has one tomorrow morning at 6:00 am which is NOT HAPPENING, lol. There's also one tonight, which I can't make. However, I am committing to go next week on the evening of Tuesday, March 6th. It's going in my calendar right now. Let's check in and discuss how it goes, OK?

3 minutes ago, Boho Rosy said:

My gym has one tomorrow morning at 6:00 am which is NOT HAPPENING, lol. There's also one tonight, which I can't make. However, I am committing to go next week on the evening of Tuesday, March 6th. It's going in my calendar right now. Let's check in and discuss how it goes, OK?

I'm in. I'm going to go to the one that's tomorrow at 4:45 - I work from home on Thursdays and can just skip out a few minutes early. I'll check in with you next week! And heck no to the 6 am. Ha. Some people be CRAZY. ;) 

Can't wait to hear how you like it.

On 2/27/2018 at 3:53 PM, Gretta said:

Can't wait to hear how you like it.

I liked it a lot! The other participants and the instructor were all really nice. There were a few times toward the end where I had to put my weights down and just do the motions with my hands because my muscles were so fatigued, but nothing terrible. I plan to go back as soon as I'm not really sore - Sunday or Monday maybe? But I'm wondering how often you think I could do a class like this. What kind of muscle recovery time would a person normally need to allow for? 

@Boho Rosy, excited to hear how it goes for you! 

Yoga tomorrow might be a little rough... ;) 

That's so great! Ideally, I try to do a muscle class like this three times a week (but one or two times will still have great benefits). Give yourself at least one day off from working the same muscle group. Working the muscles puts little tears in them, and you need time for them to heal (stronger than before). Way to go! 

Edited by Gretta

1 hour ago, kristinwitha_k said:

I liked it a lot! The other participants and the instructor were all really nice. There were a few times toward the end where I had to put my weights down and just do the motions with my hands because my muscles were so fatigued, but nothing terrible. I plan to go back as soon as I'm not really sore - Sunday or Monday maybe? But I'm wondering how often you think I could do a class like this. What kind of muscle recovery time would a person normally need to allow for? 

@Boho Rosy, excited to hear how it goes for you! 

Yoga tomorrow might be a little rough... ;) 

Good for you!! I'm so glad you went, and that you reported back to us, and that you liked it!! It gives me a little courage to think about trying a class myself. I'm very nervous about these things (flashbacks to high school PE classes...).

Thanks, @Gretta! Looking at my fitness center schedule, I think I'm going to be hard pressed to find 3 classes a week of Body Pump with a day off in between, but I can definitely do two. I'll have to fill in with some cardio classes. 

9 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

Good for you!! I'm so glad you went, and that you reported back to us, and that you liked it!! It gives me a little courage to think about trying a class myself. I'm very nervous about these things (flashbacks to high school PE classes...).

I HEAR YOU. The thing about adult fitness classes, though? There are no teenagers there. :) And it is unlikely that there will be any "cool girls" you are trying to impress, or any cute boys you wish you could date. Ha. I have had nothing but really positive and supportive experiences, even when I've tried something that ended up being far too difficult for me. (I tried both kickboxing and zumba toning oh... 80 pounds ago? Not my favorite experiences. Which is why I wanted to find out just how hard Body Pump would be before I tried it.) You might really love classes. I get bored and stop pushing myself if I'm just on a treadmill/bike/what have you. I need the instructor. 

Edited by kristinwitha_k

5 minutes ago, kristinwitha_k said:

Thanks, @Gretta! Looking at my fitness center schedule, I think I'm going to be hard pressed to find 3 classes a week of Body Pump with a day off in between, but I can definitely do two. I'll have to fill in with some cardio classes. 

I HEAR YOU. The thing about adult fitness classes, though? There are no teenagers there. :) And it is unlikely that there will be any "cool girls" you are trying to impress, or any cute boys you wish you could date. Ha. I have had nothing but really positive and supportive experiences, even when I've tried something that ended up being far too difficult for me. (I tried both kickboxing and zumba toning oh... 80 pounds ago? Not my favorite experiences. Which is why I wanted to find out just how hard Body Pump would be before I tried it.) You might really love classes. I get bored and stop pushing myself if I'm just on a treadmill/bike/what have you. I need the instructor. 

In the part of the world where I live, most of the other people in the class would be covered Muslim women, and it would definitely be 100% female - so pretty much not like my high school experience. I had a weird moment the other day at the gym when I looked at all the people working out around me and was like, "Wow. You're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy." 

I think I might like classes - I'll look into it.

Yes, girl! Cardio is my JAM. It's what I teach, and I love, love, love it! Can't wait to hear about everything you try.

@kristinwitha_k you're my hero. I will feel so much more confident going into the class now that you've given it a test drive. I've been doing cardio 4 times a week (intervals on the treadmill - not in a class) and then weights 2 times a week. The Body Pump will count as my third day a week of strength training, which I've been wanting to add. I hear you about being sore. I feel like I am sore to some extent pretty much all the time lately, but hopefully with some consistency, it will at least become a bit less. 

About 5 or 6 years ago, when I was living in NYC, I had a lot of friends who were gym-obsessed. One of them was trying to motivate me to work out, and in doing so, he said "Will everyone be staring at you because you're the most overweight person in the gym? Yes. But you should go anyway." Needless to say, it was not an effective strategy, and I pretty much wrote off the gym for the rest of my life. Getting back in there has been a huge hurdle to surpass, mostly because his comment replays in my mind and convinces me that everyone is staring at me. I find that in Baltimore, it's much more common to see people of varied shapes and sizes at the gym. That's been helpful, but going into a class has continued to freak me out. I'll do it though, because I told you that I would!

1 hour ago, Boho Rosy said:

"Will everyone be staring at you because you're the most overweight person in the gym? Yes. But you should go anyway."

My inner fat girl wept at this. 

No, not effective.

7 hours ago, Boho Rosy said:

One of them was trying to motivate me to work out, and in doing so, he said "Will everyone be staring at you because you're the most overweight person in the gym? Yes. But you should go anyway." 

This is an ex-friend, right? Not cool, man, not cool. I take equal affront to the "should" in that last part. 'Should' is the English language's most condescending and shaming word. Maybe you should go soak your head, douchenugget. 

I think the first class will be the biggest hurdle. You've got this. Just remember that you have a fundamental right to exist in the body you have, no matter what size it is, and to move it in whatever ways feel good to you. 

Body Pump is great! I first did it a few years ago when I was still 320 or so pounds. Yes, it was hard and I had to skip some reps when I started (I still do from time to time-lunge track, I'm looking at you!). But with time you get stronger and have more endurance and can keep up with the choreography. I love the ability to push yourself as far as you want to. I do it twice a week (Monday and Friday). My only problem is my shoulders are not flexible enough to put the bar on my back so I have to just hold plates for squats and lunges. No biggie. :)

I'm glad you were willing to give it a shot. I love group classes because I've made a lot of friends which is even more motivation to go each time. I also find I push myself way harder when in classes as opposed to working out on my own.

I survived! I even liked it. Thanks for the motivation @kristinwitha_k!

16 minutes ago, Boho Rosy said:

I survived! I even liked it. Thanks for the motivation @kristinwitha_k!

Yay!! Do you think you'll go again? I'm planning to go again today. I was going to go Monday, but it was freezing rain and I really don't like being on the roads if I don't have to. 

12 minutes ago, kristinwitha_k said:

Yay!! Do you think you'll go again? I'm planning to go again today. I was going to go Monday, but it was freezing rain and I really don't like being on the roads if I don't have to. 

Definitely. Just had to rip the bandaid off, but now I’m totally comfortable with the idea. 

Glad to hear it, @Boho Rosy!

While I have this fitness class topic going, can I get your insights on some other classes, @Gretta? (Or anyone else who wants to join in?)

Zumba: I have done it twice now, once with the toning sticks, once without. And I kind of don't get it. It's so fast paced and the movements are so ambiguous that by the time I've figured out what one step is, we've moved on to the next. I look around the room, and it's like two or three people who seem to know it as well as the instructors and a lot of others like me who are fumbling around. Is there a trick to this being fun that I don't know about? Because I don't feel like I'm getting much of a workout when I'm constantly trying to figure out what the heck I'm supposed to be doing. There's also no emphasis on doing any moves correctly, which screams 'injury waiting to happen'. Just me? Am I being a killjoy?

Tabata: the class description says that all fitness levels are welcome, but the internet says this is way hard and you need to be relatively fit to try this. I know better than to believe things I read on the internet, but I'm curious if anyone has any opinions. 

I feel the same way you do about Zumba! My hips don't move like that, and I need way more cueing than they give in there. Tabata is intense, but everything can be modified. HIIT workouts are super effective and constantly changing, so I like those. I think the key is finding a cardio workout you really like (kickboxing, hip-hop dance, step, water aerobics, spin, Zumba, whatever), because you'll stay dedicated that way. Then make sure you're also getting strength training at least twice a week. My personal opinion is the cardio is doing more for us during the weight loss phase. Strong muscles make you look and feel so good. In maintenance, the muscle you're able to build will help you burn more calories, even at rest. There really isn't any class you should feel is off-limits to you. Instructors are happy to have new people and will modify accordingly. Jump in anywhere.

Edited by Gretta

4 hours ago, Gretta said:

There really isn't any class you should feel is off-limits to you.

This is a hard thing for me to accept, but I will have to take your word for it. :) I think I need to cast a wider net looking for classes -- the evening options at my community fitness center are heavy on Zumba and Body Pump, and we know how I feel about the former! Ha.

I'm glad you also hate Zumba! I was thinking something was wrong with me, as it seems universally beloved. 

I might want to try my hand at kickboxing again. I tried it last summer with 100 more pounds on my frame and couldn't bring myself to go back. It was too hard. 

I love Body Pump. I go to that and Body Step every week at 5:30am. My day is all wrong if I don't start it off in class. 

How's it going for you? Are you still going?