Stephtay

Unintended experiment

Last week I had an unintended experiment and I want to share the results with y'all.

Every day since a few weeks after my WLS I've had the exact same thing for breakfast. Decaf with milk and premier protein shake. Depending on what time I get up and how long it will be until I have lunch I'll have between 20 - 40 oz of decaf, 1 - 1&1/2 shakes and 1/2 - 1 C of milk. The handful of times I didn't have a premier shake to mix with my decaf and milk I add protein powder. I do this because it is simple, it starts me off with protein and plenty of fluids. Plus, I like to go lighter on my calories/carbs in the morning in case I'm going to eat out later or I want a glass of wine with dinner. 

On Thursday about 5:30 am I realized I was out of shakes as I went to make my coffee in the morning. I looked at my various powders and none of them go well with coffee so I just had decaf with milk. I packed my lunch for the day - two hard boiled eggs, blackberries and a small piece of cheese. Before I left the house I thought "I haven't had much protein" so I ate a piece of string cheese at about 7 am. By 9:30 I was thinking about my lunch. At 10:00 I broke down and ate my eggs. At 11:30 I ate the rest of my lunch. (Normally, I wouldn't eat before 12:30 or 1 pm.) I kept thinking - this is so odd that I'm so hungry! but didn't give it much thought beyond that. 

Friday morning 5:30 am and no protein shake to mix with my coffee so I do the same again - just milk in the decaf. Before I even left my house about 7 am I was already feeling hungry. Finally, I realized I was hungry because I wasn't getting in much protein. The milk in my coffee has a few grams but not the 30+ I always get from my premier shake. I decided to just go with it and see how quickly I would get really hungry. It didn't talk long. By 8:30 I was ready for my lunch. I drank water which worked for about 20 minutes and then I was hungry again. 

This was interesting to me because I didn't quite realize how satiating protein is for me. My hunger came back a couple of years ago but it hasn't felt like it did on Thursday and Friday. My guess is because protein is my focus when I eat, I'd yet to go long enough without any for my hunger to really kick in. I probably had dinner about 7 pm on Wednesday night so 12 - 13 hours later, my body was looking for protein!

I also have coffee and a Premier shake for breakfast, mostly because I have never been a breakfast eater and am not interested in food early in the morning.  I also struggle when I try anything else!  I've done a Greek yogurt, I've even tried eggs.  Nothing holds me like the shake does.

I start every week day at 5:30am with a Premiere protein chocolate shake.  It generally holds me over until 10:00am.  I would be at a loss without them! 

@Stephtay Thanks for sharing! This should be second nature, right? I sometimes find myself ravenous by 10 am only to realize that I only had coffee with a splash of Fairlife. Premier Protein is such a lifesaver! I now buy two cases at a time at Costco. 

I appreciate the reminder to always get my protein in the morning. :)

Same here....I have a 30 gm shake in the am and I am not even hungry by lunch time but when I eat eggs or even yogurt I am famished by lunch time.  Both have protein but not as much.  

I always start my day with a protein shake made with 2% organic milk and Syntrax Nectar Cappuccino.  Without that, I seem to drag my heels a little and have a hankering to nibble throughout the day - even though I eat my meals and snacks at the usual time.

Thanks for sharing! I've been having a shake for breakfast every day for the past year, and it sounds like this is something I should continue :) It really does hold me until lunch time. Let's hear it for protein shakes!

giphy.gif

@Jen581791 I’ve been drinking the caramel Premier Protein in your GIF! It’s super sweet but a nice change from the chocolate. Like all good WLS patients, I have approximately one billion shakes in my pantry. This one happens to be the one I’ve been grabbing lately (aka I’m lazy and PP is easy).

11 minutes ago, NerdyToothpick said:

@Jen581791 I’ve been drinking the caramel Premier Protein in your GIF! It’s super sweet but a nice change from the chocolate. Like all good WLS patients, I have approximately one billion shakes in my pantry. This one happens to be the one I’ve been grabbing lately (aka I’m lazy and PP is easy).

Awesome. Change is good :) I plan to spend my time in the US this summer snarfing down all the WLS-friendly stuff I can get a hold of. Premier shakes included. 

@Stephtay  What would we do without our shakes?!

Your story rings so true for me as well. Most days I start off with a PP shake with a cup of blueberries for some fruit fiber and anti-oxidants. Some mornings for a change of pace, I have a shredded wheat cereal with milk (so still some protein) but I do get hungry by the mid to late morning (typically I get up between 5 and 6 am too).  I usually keep some beef jerky around as a snack, so again high protein. 

I'll have to arrange with @NerdyToothpick to trade a couple of my PP vanillas for a couple of her caramels!

@BurgundyBoy I’ll warn you, the caramel PP is super sweet but I need to mix it up. You are on for a trade! 

Same here I have coffee with Syntrax Nectar Carmel Macchiato. If its real early and I won't be able to eat for awhile, I'll have a hard boiled egg first then 30min later have my coffee.

17 hours ago, NerdyToothpick said:

@BurgundyBoy I’ll warn you, the caramel PP is super sweet but I need to mix it up. You are on for a trade! 

Great. My People will call Your People...

Anyone try the peaches and cream?  I love sweet but Carmel is too sweet..and I can’t do banana flavored anything, just the real McCoy..

I'll be trying the peaches and cream eventually, but they haven't shown up in my usual stores yet.  The banana ones are a bit gross - you're not missing anything.  They taste exactly like liquified Banana Laffy Taffy.  (Which I used to eat because it came in the bag with the green apple laffy taffy...it was gross then, too, but carb addictions are terrible things!)

I try to start most days with a Premier Protein shake, too - generally chocolate mixed in with my coffee. I don't know how much it affects my energy levels, because I always feel pretty energetic these days!  But I like that it gets me way ahead in my protein goals and a smidge ahead in my fluid goals.  :)  This morning I'll be following it up with an egg and a bit of bacon, so I should be at 40g by 1pm!

My recent vacation experience totally lines up with your findings.

On my normal schedule, I mix part of a chocolate or caramel Premier into my coffee and drink the rest for breakfast. I took a few of them with me just in case on our road trip but wanted to try eating real food at the encouragement of my nutritionist. And breakfast was free at all hotels on the trip, so that seemed like a good time to test it out....no cooking!

The energy difference was legit as was the amount of time between meals. My husband noticed and asked if I was switching to 5 or 6 mini meals instead of the 3 meals and a snack I have been doing for over 2 years.

I'm not a fan of the vanilla or banana either! I usually blend the strawberry with real fruit post work out to use those up. I haven't seen peaches and cream in stores here yet.

I'm going to continue one shake for breakfast and have real food lunches this week and see how that goes. 

@Stephtay Been tracking my experience with breakfasts or lunches to compare with your findings. Most mornings I have a PP shake with some blueberries. In the past have found that shredded wheat with milk -> earlier hunger. So:

This week I tried having a fried egg on a (smallish) piece of my sourdough bread, which I will otherwise rarely touch until dinner time. Calories are similar but clearly lots less protein with the egg and piece of sourdough. 

Result: Lots of earlier hunger with the lower protein breakfast. 

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:54 AM, Cheesehead said:

Anyone try the peaches and cream?  I love sweet but Carmel is too sweet..and I can’t do banana flavored anything, just the real McCoy..

I bought both new flavors last weekend; Peaches and Cream, and Cookies and Cream.  Of the two I like the Peaches and Cream better, probably because usually the only time I have them is for breakfast and I don't think my taste buds are ready for Cookies and Cream that early lol.

I would buy Peaches and Cream again, but probably won't get Cookies and Cream again.  But Caramel is my favorite and you find it too sweet so you may not like the Peach.

I like the chocolate PP shakes the best.  The banana PP shakes have an odd artificial banana flavoring.  The strawberry PP shakes taste just like Strawberry Quick flavored milk, which is not really to my taste.  

I find that a chocolate PP shakes is a great way to avoid being even slightly hungry for about 3-4 hours.

On 3/14/2018 at 11:07 AM, BurgundyBoy said:

@Stephtay Been tracking my experience with breakfasts or lunches to compare with your findings. Most mornings I have a PP shake with some blueberries. In the past have found that shredded wheat with milk -> earlier hunger. So:

This week I tried having a fried egg on a (smallish) piece of my sourdough bread, which I will otherwise rarely touch until dinner time. Calories are similar but clearly lots less protein with the egg and piece of sourdough. 

Result: Lots of earlier hunger with the lower protein breakfast. 

I know - it is a trip isn't it?! I was travelling last week and didn't take enough shakes for the week. Last couple of mornings I had scrambled eggs with cheese rather than my premier shake and within a few hours I was hungry!

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:19 AM, msmarymac said:

I bought both new flavors last weekend; Peaches and Cream, and Cookies and Cream.  Of the two I like the Peaches and Cream better, probably because usually the only time I have them is for breakfast and I don't think my taste buds are ready for Cookies and Cream that early lol.

I would buy Peaches and Cream again, but probably won't get Cookies and Cream again.  But Caramel is my favorite and you find it too sweet so you may not like the Peach.

I bought the cookies and cream and it reminds me of a light chocolate.  I have not seen the peaches and cream but will be looking for it.

I am a lover of banana Laffy Taffy and I love the banana PP shakes. My friends say that my sweets recommendations are not to be trusted because I lean towards the savory. 

Pre surgery, I loved vanilla flavoring. Naturally, I ordered vanilla flavored protein shakes for my post op meals. I couldn’t stomach the taste and still can’t get vanilla past my lips. Tastes change radically!

I’ll keep an eye out for peaches and cream. Sounds intriguing. 

On my way to work, my latte stand (Dutch Bros.) heats up my protein drink and adds 2 shots of coffee.  Caramel and Banana flavors are my favorite.