Laura_en_Miami

My first time...

Hello everyone! My name is Laura, and this is such a new experience to me.  I had my gastric sleeve on January 11th.  Doctor says everything is ok, but i believe I'm losing weight really slow.  Not only that, I'm having a hard time eating solids.  I got a constant pain every time I eat.  The doctor cleared me for excercise, and I'm now wondering what's the right route to go.  I contacted a personal trainer, he turned out to be a little expensive, but I'm willing to start working out with him if that's my best option.  I live in MIami, and I'm wondering if any of you can guide me a little on the excercise side of this. Give me some tips, or a group I can contact about this.  I feel this could help me lose weight a little faster, my scale has not moved for the past week at all.   I'm sorry if I'm not being clear enough, since i had the surgery, I'm so scared of messing up, that I found myself thinking all day about the surgery, the food I should be getting, to a point that I'm a little obsessed with all this.  Thanks in advance,

Welcome @Laura_en_Miami! Congratz on your recent surgery!  There are so many variables that control how much weight we lose, and also the times when we stall.  Don't be discouraged, it will happen if you stick to your surgeon's plan.  If you are feeling like you are obsessively weighing a lot, it may be worth hiding your scale for a week.  As far as exercise, I have done well with straight cardio (walking and stationary biking while watching HGTV).  I can't really justify the cost of a personal trainer myself, so I chose the walking/biking route.  You will get a lot of opinions on what people prefer for their exercise regimes though. :)  Best of luck to you on this journey!

Thank you @TammyP for your words.  Yes, everyone keeps telling me that I'm thinking too much.  It's just that I don't want to fail.  This has been my first surgery ever, and it was a huge sacrifice, so I don't want to ruin it.  I've been walking in the mall the past weeks, three or four times a week, for 45 mins to an hour each time. I love the idea of the stationary bike. I'm worrying about the skin though, I'd like to tighten it as much as possible.  Thanks again for getting back to me! Greatly appreciated it!!

Of course!  We are happy to help you through this process however we can.   I got a stationary bike for like $130 and it was money well spent.  As long as the TV is on something interesting, I don't even realize I am exercising!  :D

My best advice for you is to relax and stop worrying. I know that this may be hard to do, but if you really stick to the post op diet, drink lots of liquids and lead an active lifestyle then you will lose weight. Some people lose weight more slowly than others, but remember that even an average of ten pounds a month is a total of 120 pounds over the course of a year. 

In terms of exercise, find an exercise program that works for you and stick to it. For some people it is going to the gym several times a week. For me, it is taking long walks (50 minutes or so) three or four times per week, combined with being active whenever possible (taking the stairs rather than an escalator, taking out the trash and doing other household tasks rather than asking other family members to do them, etc).  What you do not want to do is to join a gym and then stop going there after a few weeks. 

We are here to support you. 

Thank you @Res Ipsa you put it very clear.  I appreciate your input.  It's true, I don't want to get discouraged by forcing myself to do something and then quitting.  I'm already walking and it makes me feel better.  Before, I could not walk without getting short of breath.  Thankfully, after losing 45 lbs. I feel way better about it. I just need to try to enjoy this journey, stop worrying so much.  Thanks again for your advice...

Welcome @Laura_en_Miami, to the TT family. Nice to have you with us! :) I know what it is like to worry when the scale isn't moving the way you want it to, but you know what? It gets easier ;) I think hiding the scale for a week is a great idea. As you may know, stress and anxiety can cause you to retain, and even gain weight because of your cortisol levels. So take things one day at a time, make sure you get plenty of water and protein, stick to the plan and it will work. 

P.S. if you are having a hard time with solids, there is nothing wrong with going back a step in your diet, just be sure to let your doctor know asap. (For instance, go back to smooth foods from regular foods). We are all individuals and heal at different rates. Very happy for you BTW, congrats on the surgery :D

Thanks @Ladybugzzz86! i'm definetely hiding the scale.  Yes, I'm going back to purees, and soups... for now it suits me better.  Protein goal is hard to reach, but I try every day.  I don't like the powder shakes, tried a lot of them, so I'm back to the premier Protein, two a day.  And believe me, between those two and water, i barely have any room for more.  Anyways, I joined a gym yesterday, and today i'm starting.  I'm worried because I didnt sign up for a trainer, so, I'm not too sure what works best for my skin tightening.  We'll see. I'm taking one step at a time. Thanks for your support!!!

7 minutes ago, Laura_en_Miami said:

Thanks @Ladybugzzz86! i'm definetely hiding the scale.  Yes, I'm going back to purees, and soups... for now it suits me better.  Protein goal is hard to reach, but I try every day.  I don't like the powder shakes, tried a lot of them, so I'm back to the premier Protein, two a day.  And believe me, between those two and water, i barely have any room for more.  Anyways, I joined a gym yesterday, and today i'm starting.  I'm worried because I didnt sign up for a trainer, so, I'm not too sure what works best for my skin tightening.  We'll see. I'm taking one step at a time. Thanks for your support!!!

Anytime, Laura. I'm very glad to hear you are starting to find the things that work best for you. Hang in there, and try not to push yourself to much at the gym. Sometimes in life we need to hurry up and slow down, I find this is very true early out post op. I would recommend starting with the treadmill or elliptical machines, and take it easy especially if you do some weights. Reason for this is that you are just starting out, and also having trouble meeting your protein requirements - and put plainly we need protein to build muscle. But I think you are going to do great! I love your motivation, and as long as you continue to listen to your body like you have been, it will all work out for you. Have a great time at the gym! :)

thanks @Ladybugzzz86.  I cannot stress enough the difference this forum is making on me.  This is my second day here, and I feel I'm in the right place, among people that gets me.  I never thought I would feel this way.  Thanks for your words, and yes, that's exactly how I was planning to start, treadmill, elipticall and/or stationary bike.  I hope this is the right path, We'll see in a little.  Thanks again for being there!!

1 minute ago, Laura_en_Miami said:

thanks @Ladybugzzz86.  I cannot stress enough the difference this forum is making on me.  This is my second day here, and I feel I'm in the right place, among people that gets me.  I never thought I would feel this way.  Thanks for your words, and yes, that's exactly how I was planning to start, treadmill, elipticall and/or stationary bike.  I hope this is the right path, We'll see in a little.  Thanks again for being there!!

Anytime, truly! Let us know how it goes, if you wish. I think we are lucky to have you, just as we are all lucky on here to have one another. :wub: It really helps bring us out of the dark, into a place of understanding. Just knowing that you are not alone when you are going through this journey truly is invaluable. Looking forward to your updates. :)

I'm late to the party and see you've already received great advice. I just wanted to say "Welcome aboard"!

I lived in Miami for two years. I found that walking was best in the mornings or evenings due to the heat (being obese didn’t help! lol)

Also, depending on where you live, a lot of apartment complexes often have a pool. Or maybe you even live close to the ocean (I didn’t). I love swimming. It doesn’t feel like exercise to me. Maybe you could try swimming? 

@Laura_en_Miami Welcome to the forum. I echo what everyone has said about exercise. Do what’s best for you and will fit into your daily routine. 

I think your worries are normal. All of us have worried in the early days. I cannot stress enough that even though you may feel that it’s been a while since the surgery, you are still at the beginning of your post op days. 

I wouldn’t focus on skin tightening now. I doubt there is anything you can do in these early days. Focus on getting your protein and most importantly, being kind to yourself.