I am getting real close to my surgery. Don't have a date, but will definitely be approved within the next month. Starting to get real anxious!! I started my pre-op diet a month ago and already lost 30 pounds, so I am really quite proud of myself. Seeing results has really kept me motivated. My mom had gastric bypass 2 years ago and I find her negativity towards the whole thing off-putting , and am looking to get to know all kinds of folks and what their experiences have been. Hope you all have a great day (or night) :D

Welcome to the forum. I too am getting ready to have WLS and am SO ready. Sorry that your moms experience was negative. Did she lose weight? Did she have issues after surgery?

Congratulations on the 30 pound loss! I just started my preop diet and hope to lose that much over the next month.

Edited by Readytobeme

Just now, Readytobeme said:

Welcome to the forum. I too am getting ready to have WLS and am SO ready. Sorry that your moms experience was negative. Did she lose weight? Did she have issues after surgery?

Yay for your surgery soon :D She lost about 120 pounds and she pretends like she didn't have surgery, so whenever I talk to her about it  I have to be all cloak and dagger. I want to be able to feel proud that I made a decision to better my life, which is why I wanted to talk to some more people getting/having already had the surgery for support.

Welcome! Well done losing 30 pounds! That's awesome. 

Congratulations on your weight loss! Maybe our surgeries will be near the same time. My surgery date is April 16th. I’m so excited and I hope you are too!   I have learned so much from others here who have already been through it all. :)

Welcome @ParaSix66 :) Congrats on losing 30 pounds pre-op - that's such a great way to start things off! Good for you.

Welcome to the site! I know your Mom's decision to not disclose her surgery seems like a detriment to you right now, but her psyche may not allow her to be open about WLS. That's her choice. What you do with your surgery is up to you! Seeing how you've already lost 30 pounds and are excited, I am sure you will do great!

Welcome x great times ahead

I'm a newbie to this site too, and welcome! There are lots of nice, supportive, informed, honest people here! I have my surgery in two days (acch!), so I'm doing the pre-op diet too. Well done on the 30 pounds lost! Fantastic! 

Because of the stigma around weight loss surgery (wls), it seems that everyone chooses to disclose it differently. It's too bad that your mom can't share more openly with you, but that is a reflection on her decision, not on you or yours. You have come to the right place here, for openness. As a side note, I have only told my immediate family and one friend, so I get the worry of telling people. But here it's safe to talk about. 

Welcome and good luck!

Welcome to Thinner Times ParaSix66 and congratulations on losing that 30lb on your pre-op diet.

I'm sorry your Mum isn't being supportive - just remember, this is your journey not hers.

Great job on your pre op diet!

i have never regretted having my gastric bypass, as it allowed me to become healthy, thin and much more active. My only regret is that did not have it sooner.