CheeringCJ

Ladybugzzz.....

Huzzah @Ladybugzzz86! I’m rather cross with your surgical team but at least you get to go home. Most of my post op care has been taken care of by my TTF family, as I had surgery abroad. Check in with your doctors regularly and check in here every day!

I hope your travel home is comfortable. xoxo

A79E1C50-08B5-41E3-9CEC-D0B6157C7B6E.jpeg

So glad you're headed home!!! So no more needles? An oral blood thinner instead? That has to make you happy! If I'm this disappointed in your surgical team, I can only imagine how you feel. So sorry you've had to suffer so much due to incompetence. Safe travels!

So exciting, @Ladybugzzz86, welcome back home!!!! :)  

How long has it been since you've been to your HOME?

Edited by CheeringCJ

Thanks @CheeringCJ, I am super happy to be home now. I haven't been since January 7th :blink: hard for me to believe really! I knew it had been a while, but just realizing now how long ago it really was. No more needles, @Gretta! :D I will have to be on the oral blood thinners twice a day now for the next 5 months and then it will be reassessed. The doc wasn't too surprised that I'm still having pains in my stomach, nor by my elevated liver function tests. Pretty much comes with the territory. However he was quite upset that they didn't send me home on the oral blood thinners like he wanted. Such bad communication....smh.

Glad to hear that you have done so well, @NerdyToothpick without the post op 'usuals', such as seeing a nutritionist. It gives me hope that I too can do it, regardless of my incompetent invisible team lol. P.S. I have three chickens that are identical to the pic you added... Minus the adorable sweater though... I think its time to start knitting again :D

Edited by Ladybugzzz86

Soooo happy to hear that!!

good to hear!  have a relaxing weekend!!!

3 hours ago, Ladybugzzz86 said:

Thanks @CheeringCJ, I am super happy to be home now. I haven't been since January 7th :blink: hard for me to believe really! I knew it had been a while, but just realizing now how long ago it really was. No more needles, @Gretta! :D I will have to be on the oral blood thinners twice a day now for the next 5 months and then it will be reassessed. The doc wasn't too surprised that I'm still having pains in my stomach, nor by my elevated liver function tests. Pretty much comes with the territory. However he was quite upset that they didn't send me home on the oral blood thinners like he wanted. Such bad communication....smh.

Glad to hear that you have done so well, @NerdyToothpick without the post op 'usuals', such as seeing a nutritionist. It gives me hope that I too can do it, regardless of my incompetent invisible team lol. P.S. I have three chickens that are identical to the pic you added... Minus the adorable sweater though... I think its time to start knitting again :D

Continue to be of stout heart. You're home, you made it through surgery, and you have competent people monitoring your anticoagulants. If I could offer you a glass of Forbidden Grape Beverage that the louche BurgundyBoy favors - - - I would in a second, cher Ladybugzzz... Congrats on getting home. 

Awesome news, Lady. So glad to know that you are finally heading in the right direction.

Thanks very much @BurgundyBoy and @Readytobeme, really appreciate the support folks :)

@Ladybugzzz86 Are back home?? :)

13 hours ago, NerdyToothpick said:

@Ladybugzzz86 Are back home?? :)

Home sweet home alright, but having a tough time getting my routine down right now. Yikes! Knew it would be difficult, and I am not about to give up. I think if I could cut my carbs down it would really help, very much a learning curve for me. Do you follow the keto diet @NerdyToothpick

Bit of an adjustment if you are going to go ketogenic... helps a lot with satiety, you are unlikely to be very hungry once you get past the 'hump' at day 3 or 4; all that protein may be helpful since you have a lot of body repairing going on...

4 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Bit of an adjustment if you are going to go ketogenic... helps a lot with satiety, you are unlikely to be very hungry once you get past the 'hump' at day 3 or 4; all that protein may be helpful since you have a lot of body repairing going on...

Yeah, it sounds like it would really help me get closer to my goal as well. Starting to do some research into it. Even if I could get my carbs down to around 50g per day I would be happy with that. 

20 hours ago, Ladybugzzz86 said:

Home sweet home alright, but having a tough time getting my routine down right now. Yikes! Knew it would be difficult, and I am not about to give up. I think if I could cut my carbs down it would really help, very much a learning curve for me. Do you follow the keto diet @NerdyToothpick

@Ladybugzzz86 Glad to hear that you are home. Getting used to a new routine is tough after so much time away. You’ll get there!

I suppose I do follow a keto diet of sorts. I am a type two diabetic and have avoided most carbs for years. I didn’t follow a certain plan but rather continued to eat like a diabetic. My carb intake was minimal and it has been second nature. After many years of avoiding carbs, I’m having a little bit of a tough time mentally reintroducing them into my life. If you want specific plans, I’d ask @Jen581791 . She knows everything about everything. :D

I feel that this was an insufficient answer, so ask more questions if I didn’t address your concerns. xoxo 

3 hours ago, NerdyToothpick said:

@Ladybugzzz86 Glad to hear that you are home. Getting used to a new routine is tough after so much time away. You’ll get there!

I suppose I do follow a keto diet of sorts. I am a type two diabetic and have avoided most carbs for years. I didn’t follow a certain plan but rather continued to eat like a diabetic. My carb intake was minimal and it has been second nature. After many years of avoiding carbs, I’m having a little bit of a tough time mentally reintroducing them into my life. If you want specific plans, I’d ask @Jen581791 . She knows everything about everything. :D

I feel that this was an insufficient answer, so ask more questions if I didn’t address your concerns. xoxo 

:lol::lol::lol: No, I think I know everything about everything - there's a difference! 

I don't do like really really keto, which is pretty hard for a semi-vegetarian, but I do pretty low carb, and did lower while losing. I find that it really makes my food cravings and hunger go away. I lost pretty fast, but no one knows enough about this process to be able to claim it was due to low carb or any other factor. Anyone who tells you different hasn't spent as much time as I have hunting down data. It's certainly worth a shot, and seeing how you do. Some people love, some people hate. 

While in active losing, I did about 800 calories per day (not much! but I wasn't hungry for more). Of that, between 40 and 50% was from fat (real keto is more like 75% fat!! :blink: Hence recipes called "fat bombs" on keto websites), 40% or so was protein, and the rest, usually around 10 - 15%, was carbs. That meant keeping my carbs under about 30g per day, while still getting 70 - 80g of protein.

Here's a couple of random pretty normal days from when I was about 3 - 6 months out. ***Edit: I promise I didn't eat Morningstar burgers every day for a year***

Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 7.22.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 7.35.14 PM.png

Edited by Jen581791

Thanks so much @NerdyToothpick and @Jen581791 :D

You were both more helpful then I think you realize. I am also a type two diabetic, and although I take much less medication for it (was two shots of 120 units per day for long acting, now 30 once a day, and 90 units of fast acting insulin three times a day, down to 10-20 based on meals twice a day) I still want to come off it completely. I think the only way I am going to get there is by starting and sticking to a keto type diet. I have been sitting at 260-262# for the past three weeks now, and although I know stalls are normal, I also know I can be doing better. 

Quick question to everyone out there: anyone have moderate to severe stomach cramping/spasming prior to their operation that continued post op as well? I have had it for as long as I could remember, and it would almost feel like extreme hunger pains even if I already ate. The only thing that helped was to eat more, kind of a vicious cycle. Now that my stomach is healed, they are back to kick my butt, and I notice myself slipping back into mindless eating habits to try and sooth it, even though it doesn't quite help as much as it used to preop. I will be getting an endoscope done in three months time, but that feels like forever away right now. I will push through the pain over the next few days to get into my keto mindset, and who knows maybe that will help. Here is to trying! :)

Edited by Ladybugzzz86

I’m sorry I’ve missed all of this, @Ladybugzzz86 ❤️ I’m so happy you’re home :) I hope you can get into a good routine and things start moving for you again soon!! (((Hugs)))

11 hours ago, Ladybugzzz86 said:

Thanks so much @NerdyToothpick and @Jen581791 :D

You were both more helpful then I think you realize. I am also a type two diabetic, and although I take much less medication for it (was two shots of 120 units per day for long acting, now 30 once a day, and 90 units of fast acting insulin three times a day, down to 10-20 based on meals twice a day) I still want to come off it completely. I think the only way I am going to get there is by starting and sticking to a keto type diet. I have been sitting at 260-262# for the past three weeks now, and although I know stalls are normal, I also know I can be doing better. 

Quick question to everyone out there: anyone have moderate to severe stomach cramping/spasming prior to their operation that continued post op as well? I have had it for as long as I could remember, and it would almost feel like extreme hunger pains even if I already ate. The only thing that helped was to eat more, kind of a vicious cycle. Now that my stomach is healed, they are back to kick my butt, and I notice myself slipping back into mindless eating habits to try and sooth it, even though it doesn't quite help as much as it used to preop. I will be getting an endoscope done in three months time, but that feels like forever away right now. I will push through the pain over the next few days to get into my keto mindset, and who knows maybe that will help. Here is to trying! :)

I've had the cramping both before and after surgery. Sometimes, fortunately rarely, it is double over in pain cramping, other times moderate or mild. I can generally put it down to the passage of air or waste. Not sure if it might be linked to diverticulosis or not, but the surgeon doesn't seem to have any concerns about it. Generally it passes pretty quickly for me, but it can still be quite disturbing.

12 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

I’m sorry I’ve missed all of this, @Ladybugzzz86 ❤️ I’m so happy you’re home :) I hope you can get into a good routine and things start moving for you again soon!! (((Hugs)))

Thanks Trish :) Really appreciate the support! (((Hugzzz))) right back at yah :D

10 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

I've had the cramping both before and after surgery. Sometimes, fortunately rarely, it is double over in pain cramping, other times moderate or mild. I can generally put it down to the passage of air or waste. Not sure if it might be linked to diverticulosis or not, but the surgeon doesn't seem to have any concerns about it. Generally it passes pretty quickly for me, but it can still be quite disturbing.

Yeah sounds pretty similar to mine. Thank you for sharing your experience. Good to know I am not the only one who has this. I find it hard to find any research about it. All roads seem to lead back to GERD, but the symptoms do not add up right. For now, I will snack on small pieces of jerky when it gets too bad.

Ladybugzzz86 - have you asked your surgeon about the "moderate to severe stomach cramping/spasming"?  

@Ladybugzzz86 - I’m not sure if it’s really relevant - but I get pretty bad constipation a week or so before my period every month. It feels like a bad, ongoing stomach ache with random abdominal cramping. I mention it because this is a new menstrual symptom for me since surgery - previously my periods were basically symptom free. 

5 hours ago, cinwa said:

Ladybugzzz86 - have you asked your surgeon about the "moderate to severe stomach cramping/spasming"?  

Hey cinwa, I did tell my surgeon - he wasn't too concerned but I kind of pressed the issue with him since I feel like I have had it too long. I always thought my overeating maybe stretched my stomach causing the pain in the past, but where I know that is no longer an issue, if it ever was to begin with, I really want it looked into now. He booked me for an endoscope in three months... I hope they find the culprit. 

5 hours ago, Kio said:

@Ladybugzzz86 - I’m not sure if it’s really relevant - but I get pretty bad constipation a week or so before my period every month. It feels like a bad, ongoing stomach ache with random abdominal cramping. I mention it because this is a new menstrual symptom for me since surgery - previously my periods were basically symptom free. 

Thanks for mentioning this Kio. Thankfully my bowel movements are the one thing I have going for me right now :lol: but good to know for future reference. :D

Thankfully my bowel movements are the one thing I have going for me right now :lol:

Every little bit helps, right? ;)