Sign in to follow this  
Carry on

Left shoulder pain

Hi am new to all this was just wondering if anyone has experienced left shoulder pain it started around 3 1/2 weeks post op totally out of the blue and feels worst if I breath deeply 

i don't know what that has to do w/ the surgery, but I would ask my surgeon and see.

i did have shoulder pain (believe it or not) when I had gallbladder attacks!  I had no idea it could hurt my shoulder but my dr said it was referred pain and quite common.  You gall bladder attacks when you lose a large amount of weight.....which really wouldn't affect you if you are only 3 wks in but could, perhaps if you lost a lot presurg.  

but I would call my dr and see.  Also, keep trying to do your deep breaths.

Post-surgical shoulder pain is pretty common after WLS but it's generally gone within a few days and the fact that it's worse when you breathe deeply Carry on makes me feel that you should air on the side of caution and put a call into your surgeon.

Spoke to the nurse who is part of my after care package she has said that it’s trapped wind and that is common need to slow my drinking down and that should help thanks for your advice 

11 minutes ago, Carry on said:

Spoke to the nurse who is part of my after care package she has said that it’s trapped wind and that is common need to slow my drinking down and that should help thanks for your advice 

That's good but I'd also recommend upping your walking - that can help a lot with trapped wind.

that is true, I did know ppl got that trapped gas pain from surgery (I didn't tho) and that it can go up to the shoulder area but I didn't realize it could still be there 3 wks later!  I have heard the best cure for it is walking though, so i second @cinwa and say walk walk, walk!