Megans0988

When do you get out of the hospital

I slept over last night but today I’m feeling so much better does anyone stay just one night?

I left in 22 hours, but I'm a sleever so don't know if it's acceptable to leave early with bypass or not.  Hopefully some of our awesome bypassers will chime in :)

Glad you're feeling good!

Edited by msmarymac

Yeah I don’t know much about sleeve because I have GERD and sleep apnea. He said this was the best option for my situation. I hope I get to go home I miss my family, even tho they visit 

My dr lets you go home the next day if you're ready but you'll have to be checked by your dr first.

BTW welcome to the Losers' Bench!

Edited by CheeringCJ

Yeah my doctor said that too... but im afraid he won’t let me

1 hour ago, Megans0988 said:

I slept over last night but today I’m feeling so much better does anyone stay just one night?

Sleeve is generally the next day, bypass is two days.

Sleever and went home the next morning.  Your doctor knows best though.  Rest rest rest as much as you can. 

A lot depends on your status before surgery - no one size fits all approach! Although I think @Michael_A is right, 1 night for sleevers and 2 nights for bypasses is average. 

some people posting here had very bad sleep apnea and low oxygen levels and had to stay in hospital longer while they were supported with more oxygen and the kind of breathing assistance the cpap masks provide. 

Others bounce out the next day. 

I had a two night stay but that was only because I had my surgery later in the day instead of the more usual morning.

Ohh ok I got there at 10am to do paperwork my surgery was at 1230

Bypass here, and I was discharged the next day. I had to be able to drink 4 ounces of water per hour before I was able to leave, and you'd better believe I did it! Lol :) 

Nice to have you on the losers bench!

I had to stay 3 nights because I couldn't pee...:o Welcome to the loser's bench @Megans0988!

51 minutes ago, Chefman77 said:

I had to stay 3 nights because I couldn't pee...:o Welcome to the loser's bench @Megans0988!

Aww, that sucks, @Chefman77!! I've heard of that happening after gallbladder surgery too...and I'm sure there are others. Hopefully your plumbing was back in working order quickly :) 

I also stayed 3 nights but could have left after two according to the weekend doctors on duty. Surgery was on a Thursday and I was originally booked in for 4 nights. That was due to higher complication rates for revisions and distance from hospital, a four hour drive. If I left hospital and came home then a complication would have involved a Royal Flying Doctor emergency flight back to the city hospital where I had my surgery. My local hospital just isn't equipped to handle anything that might have happened and the rostered visiting general surgeon wasn't a gastro let alone a bariatric surgeon. I was discharged on the Saturday morning and arrived home just as my surgeon arrived for his week long stint at my local hospital as visiting general surgeon. It wasn't a coincidence. I was able to have my first post-op checkup with my surgeon at my local hospital.

11 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

Aww, that sucks, @Chefman77!! I've heard of that happening after gallbladder surgery too...and I'm sure there are others. Hopefully your plumbing was back in working order quickly :) 

All good in the neighborhood now! 

7 hours ago, Chefman77 said:

All good in the neighborhood now! 

Awesome sauce!! :lol:

17 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

I also stayed 3 nights but could have left after two according to the weekend doctors on duty. Surgery was on a Thursday and I was originally booked in for 4 nights. That was due to higher complication rates for revisions and distance from hospital, a four hour drive. If I left hospital and came home then a complication would have involved a Royal Flying Doctor emergency flight back to the city hospital where I had my surgery. My local hospital just isn't equipped to handle anything that might have happened and the rostered visiting general surgeon wasn't a gastro let alone a bariatric surgeon. I was discharged on the Saturday morning and arrived home just as my surgeon arrived for his week long stint at my local hospital as visiting general surgeon. It wasn't a coincidence. I was able to have my first post-op checkup with my surgeon at my local hospital.

Wow, @Aussie Bear! Your health care system sounds complicated :( 

2 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

That's life in the country for you. I won't even go into the difficulties I had this morning trying to organise an iron infusion. Finally managed to get the prescription and book a time at the local hospital ER to get it done.....but nothing was said let alone done by the doctor to follow it up.....seriously?????? Will talk to my gyn an Wednesday and find out what the followup should be. Maybe he'll order a followup blood draw and tell me when to have it.

2 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

That's life in the country for you. I won't even go into the difficulties I had this morning trying to organise an iron infusion. Finally managed to get the prescription and book a time at the local hospital ER to get it done.....but nothing was said let alone done by the doctor to follow it up.....seriously?????? Will talk to my gyn an Wednesday and find out what the followup should be. Maybe he'll order a followup blood draw and tell me when to have it.

4 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

I just watched a thing about rural healthcare in the US and it sounds similarly difficult and getting worse quickly - hard to find care, particularly for specialized things. Hospitals shutting down right and left. No choice but to drive a long way to find a doctor that's covered under your plan. Lots of people dying in emergency situations for lack of access. It's hard to make healthcare in sparsely populated areas profitable, so healthcare companies are leaving rural areas in the US. If you don't have difficulties like this in the US, be thankful you live in a populated area! :) 

2 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

I just watched a thing about rural healthcare in the US and it sounds similarly difficult and getting worse quickly - hard to find care, particularly for specialized things. Hospitals shutting down right and left. No choice but to drive a long way to find a doctor that's covered under your plan. Lots of people dying in emergency situations for lack of access. It's hard to make healthcare in sparsely populated areas profitable, so healthcare companies are leaving rural areas in the US. If you don't have difficulties like this in the US, be thankful you live in a populated area! :) 

Definitely feeling a lot more vulnerable with regard to healthcare since my bypass. None of the local doctors I have access to give a rat's wringer or even care to try to find out what to do. It would seem any needed treatments get too hard for them because they can't automatically resort to their usual treatments/ medications etc. I ended up talking to my doctor in the capital city this afternoon to find out what followup he wanted, because even though he is an 8 hr round trip drive away from here, it will be him that I trust to sort this one out. At least I know now that I need bloods taken again 2 weeks after the infusion. Then it's a trip to the city a week later (when the results are available) to discus the plan moving forward and a second infusion if it's needed.

16 minutes ago, Aussie Bear said:

Definitely feeling a lot more vulnerable with regard to healthcare since my bypass. None of the local doctors I have access to give a rat's wringer or even care to try to find out what to do. It would seem any needed treatments get too hard for them because they can't automatically resort to their usual treatments/ medications etc. I ended up talking to my doctor in the capital city this afternoon to find out what followup he wanted, because even though he is an 8 hr round trip drive away from here, it will be him that I trust to sort this one out. At least I know now that I need bloods taken again 2 weeks after the infusion. Then it's a trip to the city a week later (when the results are available) to discus the plan moving forward and a second infusion if it's needed.

Sorry you’ve got to work so hard to get the right care! Very frustrating.

What a drag that you have to drive so far to get care! At least it's with a physician you trust.