scla

8 days out and struggling!

I am 8 days out from my sleeve and it's been rough.  To the point I regret my decision.  The spasms have been nonstop...the levsin helps to make them not be unbearable.  I have pressure in my mid abdomen around my belly button.  I am struggling getting my fluids and protein in due to all this. Yesterday I did get all fluids in and only 30g of protein.  Today I was able to get both in....but have paid for it with pain and nausea.  Also every morning my nausea is still horrible.  I get sharp pains right between my breasts.  I am just over this....plus dealing with the mental aspect has been tougher than I thought.  I think that would be easier if i didn't have any issues.  I will say that the Percocet helps relieve most of this, but they do not want me taking it unless it's for the pain and not from bloating/pressure? I have tried gas ex too and it doesn't seem to help.  How long does this crap usually go on? I researched for almost a year, but I guess it wasn't enough.  I have to figure out to come to terms with this cause I can't take it back.  I am afraid if things don't turn around soon I will become depressed.  Any advice will be appreciated! 

First off, slow down, take a deep breath.  You just had major surgery.  Right now, focus on your liquids so you don’t get dehydrated.  If you can drink protein shakes grab a couple of those.  They also count as liquid as well as protein.  For the first couple weeks, just try the best you can, you may not hit those goals but do get as much liquid as possible.  Get up and walk, but don’t do too much so you are in pain.  It will get better.  Good luck as you start this new journey. 

8 days is not a long time. You are still healing from major surgery. I am sorry that you are suffering. I truly think that things will turn around very soon for you. If the depression gets any worse, please don't hesitate to talk to your surgeon about it.  Regret and depression do seem to be fairly common with this surgery.

Hang in there!

No amount of research can really prepare you for the reality of life after surgery. You really have to live it for yourself rather than rely on the experiences of others because we are all different in the end, even if we do have the same procedure. It does appear from posts I've read here that post operatively sleevers have a tougher time than bypassers. Hang in there, things will get better. If the pain gets worse rather than better then definitely chat to your surgeon about it. If it's improving though then patience really is the key. At this stage fluids are more important than protien, but if you can get both at once via something like protien water then it's win, win.

Hi I'm day 17 and most days are bearable but tricky have all the symptoms you have but the right sided pain seems to be getting worse .

Am speaking to the surgeons later today wondering if gallstones or GERD .

I agree it does get you down I'm used to being so busy but by the time I've lit the fires emptied the dishwasher.done a load of washing and cooked tea I'm done in ....perhaps my expectations are exceeding what is possible??

Fainted getting out of bath last night and chipped my front tooth 

Let' s hope next week gives us a brighter few days .

So glad I am signed  off work for a month  couldn't work as a ward nurse at moment .

Keep your chin up chick well get there 

;)

17 minutes ago, Lankyliz said:

Hi I'm day 17 and most days are bearable but tricky have all the symptoms you have but the right sided pain seems to be getting worse .

Am speaking to the surgeons later today wondering if gallstones or GERD .

I agree it does get you down I'm used to being so busy but by the time I've lit the fires emptied the dishwasher.done a load of washing and cooked tea I'm done in ....perhaps my expectations are exceeding what is possible??

Let' s hope next week gives us a brighter few days .

So glad I am signed  off work for a month  couldn't work as a ward nurse at moment .

Keep your chin up chick well get there 

Oh! It sounds like you're having some difficult moments right now! I'm glad you're going to talk to the surgeon. Right sided pain could be something, could be nothing, but best to find out. 

Chipping your tooth! That's terrible :( I can see fainting while getting out of the bath, though - it seems like a time that might happen. 

I hope you're doing everything you can to make your life as easy as possible right now. Sending you my best wishes.

Xx

@scla, things will get better, but it is going to take some time, and don't worry, people do tend to regret their decision during the stage you are in right now. Just make sure you keep in touch with your doctor, as there is a chance of developing complications post-op, which due to all of your research I am sure you are well aware of. And as suggested above, right now your number one goal is fluids, and if you can do shakes or meal replacements then you will be that much better off for it. You don't have to hit your goals yet at this early stage, but keep aiming for them and you WILL get there ;)

Keep in touch, you are not alone in this.

Ouch, @Lankyliz :o hope you are okay. Be sure to take some frequent breaks as you need them. Your energy will start to come back soon, and before you know it you will have lots of energy to spare. :D

I'm sorry you're still struggling Liz but you're right to talk with your surgeon.

I have only fainted once in my life and that was 4-6 weeks post-op and that was after a shower.  It wasn't too hot and I was extra careful but I went down like a ton of bricks and caught my face on the vanity unit as I went down.  I was not a pretty sight for a few days.

On 2/20/2018 at 9:03 PM, scla said:

I am 8 days out from my sleeve and it's been rough.  To the point I regret my decision.  The spasms have been nonstop...the levsin helps to make them not be unbearable.  I have pressure in my mid abdomen around my belly button.  I am struggling getting my fluids and protein in due to all this. Yesterday I did get all fluids in and only 30g of protein.  Today I was able to get both in....but have paid for it with pain and nausea.  Also every morning my nausea is still horrible.  I get sharp pains right between my breasts.  I am just over this....plus dealing with the mental aspect has been tougher than I thought.  I think that would be easier if i didn't have any issues.  I will say that the Percocet helps relieve most of this, but they do not want me taking it unless it's for the pain and not from bloating/pressure? I have tried gas ex too and it doesn't seem to help.  How long does this crap usually go on? I researched for almost a year, but I guess it wasn't enough.  I have to figure out to come to terms with this cause I can't take it back.  I am afraid if things don't turn around soon I will become depressed.  Any advice will be appreciated! 

Hi @scla

Having pain in your thorax and abdomen is common. Perhaps this is counter-intuitive, but walking as much as you can should help. I also found swimming to be helpful. Sometimes people have carbon dioxide from the surgery come out of solution as tiny bubbles in your tissues  - they inflate your belly with carbon dioxide so your belly domes up over your organs and they can see what they are doing in the tent that is formed - and this hurts. The best analogy is that this is like the bends that scuba divers can suffer from. This was my major discomfort after surgery too. Somewhat confusingly this is a 'gas' pain but it is not intestinal gas - - - When you get the bends after surgery only time and some moderate exercise seem to help. You'll be okay just takes time for the bubbles to be re-absorbed. 

If you are having bloating and true gas pains, run (don't walk) to get a probiotic. I used the Culturelle product which is Lactobacillus GG because it is the most studied scientifically. Never had one gas pain after surgery (I started taking it a week before surgery and then took it consistently for, as I recall, 10-14 days after surgery). Some people posting here found gas-ex helpful --- gas ex is just simethicone and it helps break up larger gas bubbles into smaller ones, kind of like soap does - it only helps intestinal gas bubbles that form inside the intestines. My view is that the probiotics help prevent any gas bubbles from forming so it removes the need for things like gas-ex. You might consider proactively mixing a small dose of fiber (like psyllium) into your daily protein shakes to keep your bowels moving too. 

Hope these suggestions help. I had the odd pain near the incision sites but they were relatively minor compared to the WLS bends gas in my chest. Glad the Levsin helps, I couldn't take it because (as a side effect) it kept me from peeing. The Percocet / opiates will slow your bowels down; I was able to ratchet it down around the 4-5 day mark to just using at night, and probably stopped taking mine around the 8-10 day mark. 

Don't be discouraged. 

4 hours ago, Lankyliz said:

This sounds like Orthostatic Hypotension,  low fluid and/or electrolytes + hot water = light headed and passing out. You really need to let your DR know so you can get this under control because it accumulates and gets worse. Trust me, I have been dealing with this myself. Mine started with lightheadedness when leaving the hot tub, then in the shower, and then any time I bent over, to the worst every time I stand up. It has taken 3 weeks to get my electrolytes back up so I don't blackout (lose my vision) when I stand up. I wear compression stockings now when I exercise (walk/run) this seems to help a ton. Good Luck I hope you figure it out and are able to get the passing out under control.

Thanks I'm having bloods done tomorrow 

On 2/20/2018 at 9:03 PM, scla said:

@scla  How are you doing?  We are here to support you.  Unless there was a major problem with your surgery, it should get a lot better soon.

Thank you everyone for the replies and encouragement.  It has gotten slightly better.  I did see my family doctor yesterday for a follow up. She didn't have any concerns and says everyone heals differently.  I have also been speaking with my weight loss team (which at this point I am pretty sure they think I am that "crazy" patient that calls all the time) I had those sharp pains between chest really bad this morning that lasted a couple hours....he suggested to try the protein water as the shakes can be irritating for some in the beginning.  And we wants me to stay on the full liquid diet longer :( He reassured me that things will get better! I see him on Tuesday... I think i need to stay off the internet where I read horror stories.  My fear is that my GERD will get worse....which I knew was a possibility!  All in all each day is getting a little better and I think a lot of my problems are mental and having to come to terms that I can't go to food for my comfort! I just can't wait to feel somewhat normal.  Again, thank you all....hopefully soon it won't be a regretful decision.

58 minutes ago, scla said:

My fear is that my GERD will get worse....

If you have pre-surgery GERD, I do not why your surgeon recommended a sleeve. A sleeve usually makes GERD much worse, while having a gastric bypass resolves GERD issues.