Michael_A

What a year can do

Recommended Posts

@Michael_A what an absolute amazing transformation you have made. Its people like you who have kept me motivated in my own journey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow you look fantastic congratulations on your success. My brother has been my biggest and best supporter as well as  inspiration . I was right there beside him when he went through his weight loss surgery and he is now supporting me through mine. Lastly,  my brother happens to be the person you mentioned in your post TP1210 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your hard work has truly paid off for you. I hope to be as successful as you have been one year from now. Thanks for the inspiration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Michael_A said:

Yes they do, and I'm trying very hard to be good at the art of gracefully redirecting the conversation. I'm not one that enjoys being in the limelight like that, especially when people gush about my weight loss and won't let up. I've taken the good advice of folks like @Stephtay and have become pretty good at thanking them and then immediately saying something like "so how are YOU doing?" or something like that. I know most people don't feel this way, but it's just how I am.

 

My 13-year old daughter (the oldest of five kids) did remark to me the other day at the dinner table, "dad, you are getting so skinny". I will admit that THAT did make me feel pretty good, because I really thought that my weight loss wasn't really on any of their radars. Not that I expected it to be, at all. But a lot of my pre-op disgust with my "fat life" was tied up in being the fattest dad at her school events, etc. And plenty of things that I just didn't even attend or go to because of those feelings. We have just started having a new part of our relationship grow, because I finally AM at a place where I feel comfortable and good, as a man, being involved in her life outside of the house now. Definitely more on that later, I'm still adjusting there.

Oh, my bad... snappy suit there too, matey. 

Am sure your kids - the most studious, most attentive students of their parents other than your own parents - are fully ON with your weight loss. Even if they say next to nothing. 

Kudos again. So happy you post here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

 

Am sure your kids - the most studious, most attentive students of their parents other than your own parents - are fully ON with your weight loss. Even if they say next to nothing.

Neither of my kids have ever uttered a word, to me anyway, about my weightloss. Given their powers of observation I know they've noticed, I just suspect their political correctness has kept them from putting their mouths into gear. I sometimes find myself wondering what their father would be saying if he were still alive. Given he was my biggest saboteur when alive, sadly I doubt it would be positive. My fridge would no doubt be always stocked with cakes as it was when he was alive....even though he rarely ever ate more than one slice. Personally I think it far easier to lose weight when you live alone. There may not be any support, but the only temptations in the way are the ones you put there yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! You look simply amazing! I'm so incredibly happy for you @Michael_A!! You have worked really hard on each leg of your journey, and you should be so proud of yourself! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on all your success Michael !!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, just... Wow... Way to take charge of your life. I do hope you can find a way to love your old self one day too - thanks to him you were able to get where you are today. Way to go, Michael. Very happy for you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Michael_Ayou have done an amazing job. I am both honored and humbled that my openness about my journey helped someone! In the end, you did this. Your strength, your determination and surely your own sacrifice. Good on you, cheers to your new life! It only gets better, trust me!

Edited by TP1210

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Susanvmallory said:

Wow you look fantastic congratulations on your success. My brother has been my biggest and best supporter as well as  inspiration . I was right there beside him when he went through his weight loss surgery and he is now supporting me through mine. Lastly,  my brother happens to be the person you mentioned in your post TP1210 

Nice lot your family! Delighted you are both posting here. Big voyage for @TP1210 with lots of untested waters. Here's hoping yours is smooth sailing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm ashamed that it took me so long to post on this, Michael...you look absolutely amazing!! Happy, healthy, and quite handsome :) You've worked so hard and waited so long for your success, and I truly hope you are enjoying it! I can remember a few different times over the past several months that I've been going through a rough patch, and I'd start to complain to my husband about this or that. Then I would be on the forum and see you post something, and I would start telling hubby about your journey and everything you had to go through just to GET your surgery. Put a stop to my complaining real quick. You are so inspiring, and I admire how you have handled everything you've had to go through to get where you are. 

On 2/19/2018 at 8:39 PM, BurgundyBoy said:

My 13-year old daughter (the oldest of five kids) did remark to me the other day at the dinner table, "dad, you are getting so skinny". I will admit that THAT did make me feel pretty good, because I really thought that my weight loss wasn't really on any of their radars. Not that I expected it to be, at all. But a lot of my pre-op disgust with my "fat life" was tied up in being the fattest dad at her school events, etc. And plenty of things that I just didn't even attend or go to because of those feelings. We have just started having a new part of our relationship grow, because I finally AM at a place where I feel comfortable and good, as a man, being involved in her life outside of the house now. Definitely more on that later, I'm still adjusting there.

Oops...pulled that off the wrong post, lol...^^^THIS is what it's all about. Right there. And you're going to be around to see all of your kids grow up, to be an active part of their lives, and enjoy it!! How great is that? ❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

I'm ashamed that it took me so long to post on this, Michael...you look absolutely amazing!! Happy, healthy, and quite handsome :) You've worked so hard and waited so long for your success, and I truly hope you are enjoying it! I can remember a few different times over the past several months that I've been going through a rough patch, and I'd start to complain to my husband about this or that. Then I would be on the forum and see you post something, and I would start telling hubby about your journey and everything you had to go through just to GET your surgery. Put a stop to my complaining real quick. You are so inspiring, and I admire how you have handled everything you've had to go through to get where you are. 

Oops...pulled that off the wrong post, lol...^^^THIS is what it's all about. Right there. And you're going to be around to see all of your kids grow up, to be an active part of their lives, and enjoy it!! How great is that? ❤️

What in the world, nothing to be ashamed about. It's like we're all family living in this great big house... some of our schedules and lives keep us away for a few days at a time, but we always say "hi" when we finally wander back through.

I'm glad I was some kind of inspiration to you at times. It went both ways though. Also I was SO annoyed with you right before your surgery, you were like "oh hey everyone I just dropped FIVE more pounds!" and then like, 2 days later "guess what friends, 4 more pounds"! Meanwhile I was threatening my scale and using harsh language at it...

I am absolutely loving the differences I'm noticing in myself, here and there. Confidence, levity, more relaxed.

Two years ago, I was so miserable, depressed, in a dark place and feeling trapped in that life and locked in. 

One year ago, I was just barely cautiously optimistic. Still miserable. but some light at the end of the tunnel although nothing was moving fast enough.

Today....  I feel like there's just a big open road road in front of me. And I'm smiling and excited, and I have no idea what happens next :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Michael_A said:

Today....  I feel like there's just a big open road road in front of me. And I'm smiling and excited, and I have no idea what happens next :-)

Approach every day as another chance to tweak the amazing tool you have at your disposal. You acknowledge your shortcomings, analyze the bumps in the road, acknowledge and move on.

It only gets better from here.

One day you will be somewhere and you will see your old self. You'll see him struggle with things you now do without even thinking about it. Walking up a flight of stairs, navigating a crowded store, getting in or out of a small car, and your heart will go out to them. At that point, you will know that you really have changed and are no longer that person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Michael_A You were one of the first people to reach out to me. I tried to be upbeat in my first message but I wrote it with tears steaming down my face. Your kind words made me feel better. You continue to be a cheerleader for folks on the forum and it’s a testament to your open heart. 

I think you were quite handsome in your before pictures but hot diggity dog (!), you are quite dapper these days. 

Isnt it great to be off of insulin and other diabetes related meds? I had a similar experience at the pharmacy. The staff cancelled a recent order because they thought I no longer needed meds. At the time I was annoyed but your post makes me realize what a blessing I have in my hands. 

Hip, hip, hooray!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now