mjp1065

Happy to be here!!

Hello!

I just stumbled on this site while Googling "how many grams of protein in one medium shrimp?".  I'm so glad to find a community of folks who have also had weight loss surgery and who can understand what I'm going through!

I've struggled with weight my whole adult life.  I've lost the same 70-100 pounds over and over again just to put it back on (and then some).  I have been well over 300 pounds for the last 6 years and Hashimoto's thyroiditis is constantly messing with my metabolism.  I had pretty much given up on ever getting back down to a normal weight again.  I landed in the hospital for a week in April because I couldn't walk more than a few feet without getting winded and feeling pain in my neck (carotid arteries) and a pounding headache.  My blood pressure was out of control.  I had double coronary artery bypass grafts in 2005 and I was at a high risk of heart attack or stroke.  Talk about a wake-up call.  After years of debating whether to have WLS or "try to lose it on my own", I decided to have the surgery that I needed to save my life.

I'm just shy of two months out from my sleeve gastrectomy.  I lost 50 pounds in preparation for the surgery and I've lost 28 post-surgery.  I'm just shy of halfway to my goal weight and I feel AMAZING!  For the first time in a very long time, I feel like I'm in control of (rather than being controlled by) what I eat.

My recovery was pretty quick and painless.  I'm never hungry.  Eating is almost a chore now.  I haven't had any "dumping" episodes.  My only aversions to food so far are water and lemonade (sugar-free, of course) -- my go-to drinks pre-surgery, but now I can't stand the taste.

I'm thrilled to be here and I'm looking forward to sharing our weight-loss journeys!

MJ

Welcome to Thinner Times MJ.

Welcome to thinner Times there is an awesome group of people with a vast knowledge here

Welcome! So glad you found us!

Welcome MJ.  This is a great group who “gets it”.  We know the heck of losing weight over and over just to regain.  Most of us are grateful for a second chance at life!  Good luck on your journey!

2 hours ago, mjp1065 said:

I just stumbled on this site while Googling "how many grams of protein in one medium shrimp?"

LOL!  Well, then you are DEFINITELY our people!  I'm so sorry to hear about the hard road you took to get here - but it sounds like you're definitely on the right track now. 

Welcome!

Welcome MJ!

Glad you found us MJ!  Thinner Times is a great place to be <3

Welcome! I'm glad you find the forum, and also that you're doing really well so far. Congrats! :) 

Welcome and we'l done you are rocking those scales down :)

12 hours ago, cinwa said:

Welcome to Thinner Times MJ.

Thanks!  And thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!

Edited by mjp1065
Hit "enter" too soon

11 hours ago, Kio said:

LOL!  Well, then you are DEFINITELY our people!  I'm so sorry to hear about the hard road you took to get here - but it sounds like you're definitely on the right track now. 

Welcome!

It's great to find kindred spirits.  Thanks for the warm welcome!

7 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Welcome! I'm glad you find the forum, and also that you're doing really well so far. Congrats! :) 

Thanks!  I was reading your blog last night.  You're an inspiration!

11 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

Welcome MJ.  This is a great group who “gets it”.  We know the heck of losing weight over and over just to regain.  Most of us are grateful for a second chance at life!  Good luck on your journey!

Thank you!  It's great to be among friends.

Congratulations on your surgery and new journey.

1 hour ago, mjp1065 said:

Thanks!  I was reading your blog last night.  You're an inspiration!

Thank you so much. I just really want to pay it forward - I read so many good blogs that spurred me on to take the plunge. Glad to know it’s helpful :) 

Welcome aboard, @mjp1065!  You'll find so much info here...it's my go-to place for answers!!!  

(Consequently, just how many gms of protein are in a medium shrimp?!?  LOL!  It's so funny to need to know how many are in one instead of a dozen, since our quantities are so much different now!)

Edited by CheeringCJ

Your tastes may change over time.  Before surgery I hated coffee, now I drink it, I prefer iced.  I’ve gone through periods of flavor drops, then get tired of them, the powdered drink sticks.  (Last summer it was the root beer flavored ones-hope my like for those come back as they were hard to find and I stocked up every time I found them-I have 14 boxes, lol).  Now I’m back to the Mio drops.  

Welcome, MJ!! You've found a great place for support, friendship and lots of great advice :) 

There’s definitely a wonderful group of helpful people here with lots of words of wisdom. I feel quite prepared for my upcoming gastric bypass surgery next month! Congratulations on your progress!:D