NerdyToothpick

Excessive craving for salt?

@AustinJ‘s post (I’m sorry for your troubles!) reminded me to ask TTF about salt. My parents have hypertension, so I grew up without salty foods. My mother never added salt to her cooking and I have followed this habit. I love salty foods but have always avoided them without trouble. As an FYI, I don’t have a sweet tooth. 

After RNY, I started to crave salt. My body begs for anything salty. I used to buy salt free almonds, now only smoked and salted will do. Any ideas why I have become such a salt addict?

I have learned, in a hard fashion, to listen to my body.

Your body may need more sodium. I would look at my labs and see if my sodium is high or low and check my blood pressure. If your sodium is in normal ranges with the extra salt in your diet your body may very well need that extra salt, also if your blood pressure is low it may also need that extra salt. The hard part is determining if it is a mental craving, or if its your bodies way of telling you to get more salt in to function properly.

Good luck

The craziness for me has calmed down for the time being. 

I craved salt right after surgery.  I actually went into the cooler where I used to work and grab a 2 oz portion cup of pickle juice.  The only thing I could figure was that I was going through sodium withdrawals.  Now I don’t like pickles.  I rarely salt my food and I leave it out when cooking unless called for in a recipe.  I used to salt everything from watermelon to cheese.  But maybe as @AustinJ suggests listen to your body unless you have high blood pressure..

Post-op, I craved not just salt but spices too.  I don't know why - I was never a big salt user pre-WLS and I didn't like my food spicy.

I just put it down to actually taking the time to eat slower which makes me notice flavours a lot more now.

I crave salt more than pre-op, too. I think part of this is because I need it more: the way I eat, my sodium intake is really low. I've never added much salt to my cooking, but I think that just existing in the modern world in a regular old way (not my post-op way), I took in a fair amount of sodium from eating out, eating some processed food, etc. With my current way of eating, most of my sodium comes from cheese and nuts (if I have the salty ones, which I tend to want but then eat more of than I probably should... <_<). I don't have high blood pressure or a family history of it, though, so sodium intake doesn't worry me much. What I do have (still now sometimes but a lot more in the early post-op days) is some dizziness/lightheadedness when standing up. I figure the smoked almonds are maybe helping out in that case?? At least I hope so ;) 

I introduced a foreign friend to smoked almonds this weekend and he was like, "OMG, where did you get these and do they have more?!" Some of the smoked almond craving is just because they're Really. Tasty.

This is very interesting because I also crave salt now. Before surgery I hardly ever used it. Now I salt everything!!

It's interesting how our taste evolves.

The love of my life pre-op was a double burger with extra cheese, fries and onion rings.  Now, my mouth and gut can't stand anything greasy.

2 minutes ago, cinwa said:

It's interesting how our taste evolves.

The love of my life pre-op was a double burger with extra cheese, fries and onion rings.  Now, my mouth and gut can't stand anything greasy.

I’m with you on that one @cinwa!  Anything greasy forget it!  Even the smell of fried makes my stomach churn.  Somehow Cinwa I cant imagine you ever eating that.  

37 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

I’m with you on that one @cinwa!  Anything greasy forget it!  Even the smell of fried makes my stomach churn.  Somehow Cinwa I cant imagine you ever eating that.  

Neither can I but I did and if I didn't live as far out in the countryside as I did, I probably would have eat food like that every day.  But on the days when I didn't go out, I was sure of a ready supply of potato chips, Cheesy Wotsits (great in a cheese sandwich with lashings of mayo), cookies and candy to keep me going.