Hi everyone my name is Susan my brother Thomas recommended me to this forum as a way of gaining knowledge and support regarding my decision to have weight-loss surgery. I am considering a sleeve and will be attending my first weight loss surgery seminar in March.  I am currently 5 foot nine and weigh 253 pounds . I bounce back-and-forth between 245 to 265 pounds and have been doing so for about five years! My worsening eating habits have turned Extremely harmful and it is time for me to seek support and help. It is very overwhelming and at times lonely and depressing. Being a  registered nurse I am the one to usually offer advice and help others; therefore making this somewhat  uncomfortable yet extremely humbling. I am just grateful beyond measure for my brother Thomas, who has been my biggest supporter and my best friend. 

Hi, Susan!  Welcome!  This is a great first step to losing that loneliness and depression - now you've got a whole troop of people at your back who have been exactly where you are, and know the way out.

And even better news - good responses to weight loss surgery run in families!  I was reading about this a few days ago, and wished I had someone in my immediate family who had done it, so I could see how it went for them.  But Thomas doing really well after his surgery is good news for you!  It means you have a really good chance of being a "good responder" too.  :) 

There are a lot of great existing threads that may help answer some questions for you, or give you first-hand insight into what the process is like.  Or you can start your own thread - we're all happy to jump in and help.

Welcome to Thinner Times Susan.

Welcome to TT Susan. Your brother has been an inspiration for me on here and always has great insight. I look forward to following your transformation.

Thank you. 

Welcome . I had VSG eleven days ago so nice to have to remind myself to eat after food being everything in every day .

You will do great with amazing support

Welcome to tt

Welcome to the site! lol

Welcome Susan!  We are a great community.  Any questions feel free to ask.

Welcome!!!

Welcome!  We are here to support and inform you on your weight loss surgery journey.  :)

welcome, you will see lots of success here, so immerse yourself in it and soon you will be one of the superstars here (like Tom!)

Hi Susan. Welcome! I'm a newbie also. This is a wonderful place to get information and inspiration from people who are traveling down the same road. I hope to have surgery the end of March. I have diabetes,  high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I'm hoping that with my new life style and the surgery I will be able to eliminate some if not all of my meds before long. I check in here at least once or twice a day and I always learn something new and helpful. Hope you will also!  Keep us updated on your journey...We can do this!! :D

Welcome, @Susanvmallory!! Great to have you here :) 

Welcome @Susanvmallory!  You and I have similar stats, you are just an inch taller than me.  My sleeve is the best thing I've ever done for myself.  I just wish I had done it sooner! :)  Glad you have joined TT.

18 minutes ago, TammyP said:

Welcome @Susanvmallory!  You and I have similar stats, you are just an inch taller than me.  My sleeve is the best thing I've ever done for myself.  I just wish I had done it sooner! :)  Glad you have joined TT.

@TammyP....you're so close to your goal!!!  Whooo hoooo!

1 hour ago, CheeringCJ said:

you're so close to your goal!!!  Whooo hoooo!

@CheeringCJ  Yesss! :D !  We were visiting my in-laws this weekend and my mother in law couldn't get over how I look.  I told her I'm almost to goal - one more pound.  Today as we were leaving she said "You need to hang on to that last pound.  You look great as is."    LOL...I'm too stubborn to let that one pound stay!

2 hours ago, TammyP said:

@CheeringCJ  Yesss! :D !  We were visiting my in-laws this weekend and my mother in law couldn't get over how I look.  I told her I'm almost to goal - one more pound.  Today as we were leaving she said "You need to hang on to that last pound.  You look great as is."    LOL...I'm too stubborn to let that one pound stay!

I don't blame you....i'd be drinking water all week til that pound left!

Hey there @Susanvmallory, and welcome to TT. I hope you find everything you need here and more. I had my VSG on Dec 12/2017. Best of luck with your seminars, and please feel free to share what you learn as I always found talking about it always helps make it 'stick' as well as discover anything you may have additional questions about. Any who, hope to get to know you better, and catch you around the forum :)

P.S. Just so you know, you are NOT alone (((Hugzzz))):wub:

30 minutes ago, Ladybugzzz86 said:

Hey there @Susanvmallory, and welcome to TT. I hope you find everything you need here and more. I had my VSG on Dec 12/2017. Best of luck with your seminars, and please feel free to share what you learn as I always found talking about it always helps make it 'stick' as well as discover anything you may have additional questions about. Any who, hope to get to know you better, and catch you around the forum :)

P.S. Just so you know, you are NOT alone (((Hugzzz))):wub:

Thank you, I feel like I have been gaining such valuable information by reading what others have gone through and are going through. I will continue to Rely upon this form for advice, questions, concerns, support and guidance throughout my weight loss journey. Which brings me to this question for you.... since you had the VSG that I am going to have , how difficult was it to meet your protein requirements? I ask this because it seems like this is  somewhat of an issue for quite a few people during the post surgical phase. Should I be researching different protein supplements now to get an idea of what is palatable or is it just a case of having difficulty keeping anything in your system? My other concern is that I am a vegetarian and I do not eat any meat or fish. Thank you and I appreciate any help and guidance you can offer as well as any insight. 

22 minutes ago, Susanvmallory said:

Thank you, I feel like I have been gaining such valuable information by reading what others have gone through and are going through. I will continue to Rely upon this form for advice, questions, concerns, support and guidance throughout my weight loss journey. Which brings me to this question for you.... since you had the VSG that I am going to have , how difficult was it to meet your protein requirements? I ask this because it seems like this is  somewhat of an issue for quite a few people during the post surgical phase. Should I be researching different protein supplements now to get an idea of what is palatable or is it just a case of having difficulty keeping anything in your system? My other concern is that I am a vegetarian and I do not eat any meat or fish. Thank you and I appreciate any help and guidance you can offer as well as any insight. 

Dear Susan, I think you are right to mentally prepare yourself - including knowing lots of the small details - before (potentially) having surgery. To cut to the chase - Many of  us use milk-based protein shakes both immediately after surgery and then, during maintenance, to make sure we get **LOTS** of protein - smooths recovery, reduces the risk of hair loss, etc. 

In the 11 months since my surgery, I doubt that I have missed my protein requirement more than 1 or 2 days. I still have a milk protein based protein shake most mornings. If you eat eggs and/or milk I very much doubt you will be at risk. 

One pearl: You can heat a (veggie) broth with a touch of vinegar or lemon juice to boiling, turn it off and beat in the egg whites of a couple of eggs to get an egg-drop (Asian) or lemon-egg (Greek) style soup. Easy to digest, tons of protein. I used fish stock (which you will not!) which also had protein in it as my liquid base. 

Best wishes - BB

@BurgundyBoy I am extremely lactose intolerant I avoid dairy products especially milk at all cost.....will this maybe change afterwards to allow me to use a milk based protein drink or do you think I could just drink vegetable broth with egg whites?? 

5 minutes ago, Susanvmallory said:

@BurgundyBoy I am extremely lactose intolerant I avoid dairy products especially milk at all cost.....will this maybe change afterwards to allow me to use a milk based protein drink or do you think I could just drink vegetable broth with egg whites?? 

Nah, I wouldn't plan on suddenly becoming lactose tolerant (although those lacatose removing drops are pretty efficient these days).  Allow me to magically invoke @cinwa by citing her name and asking if she remembers some products that might be useful for you. There are milk derived drinks that include the small molecules (like lactose) in them and others that have those removed, but since Cinwa Knows Everything I bet she can point you in a productive direction. 

Could you drink vegetable broth with lots of egg whites? Yes. Plus there are LOTS of very neutral tasting protein powders. You will be fine. 

@Susanvmallory there’s plenty of non-dairy protein shake options too. My personal trainer loves the Jay Robb egg white protein powders and, if there’s a Whole Foods near you, they have plenty of non-dairy protein powder options. Also, check out GNC or Vitamin World or similar shops. They often sell individual packets of different proteins so you can try without potentially getting stuck with a big jar of protein that you hate.

Edited by athenarose

Oops. I missed this thread. Welcome to TT again, Susan. Glad to have you here.