Brattykid

Another newbie!

Hello everyone!  

I'm just 4lbs under the heaviest weight I've ever been. I've struggled over the years with my weight.  I've done Seattle Sutton Healthy Eating (lost 25lbs and it was wonderful because I never had to worry about shopping or cooking but it was too expensive to keep going), I've tried weight watchers multiple times over the years (most lost on that was 25lbs in my 20s), Atkins, South Beach, Slim Fast, you name it....I've done it and been just a smidge successful, but then always end up gaining the weight back.

This is the last time. It is time to make a physical change to help me train my body & brain to get used to smaller portions, less calories, and demand more of myself in the way of exercise (which is currently just so painful to do.)   I'm hoping by looking through these forums that I can get an idea of the successes that you have all had with either the sleeve or bypass so that I can become more informed of my options as I start the process.  I just recently got a referral from my doctor to go ahead and work with the bariatric unit of the clinic system I belong to and am waiting for them to contact me. 

I'm ready to be a healthier me. While I was always afraid to have this type of surgery because I've seen different results on my mom and some friends, I know that this is the path I am determined to lead. I know that in the long run, this will help me get off of (or at least super lower my doses) of my medications, help with my sleep apnea, and lessen my risk of dying at a young age. With my family health history, it's time to make this change so that I can live the healthiest life I can.

I look forward to reading your success stories, concerns, and everything in-between.  Glad to be a part of this community!

Welcome to Thinner Times!

Hi! Welcome! You seem to have a great attitude about surgery and I think you'll find some good information here. I'm really glad l found this board before my surgery. It has helped tremendously. 

I could have written the part about dieting. I have tried EVERYTHING. The last diet I did before surgery was Whole30. What's ironic is that now I'm pretty much eating that same diet, but with basically no effort. Haha! 

This is a great community. Glad you're here! 

Hi, welcome!  Sounds like your head is in the right place for surgery - and you've definitely come to the right place to learn about it and be supported through it.  This is a great bunch of people. 

As many will tell you, you can be successful with either sleeve or bypass if you're dedicated and follow your plan.  I had RNY and couldn't be happier; many sleevers will say the same!  And for what it's worth, my sleep apnea is totally gone since about three months after surgery.  It doesn't happen for everyone, but I'm not the only sleep apnea success story around these parts.  :) 

Welcome!  Success is still all about what you put in your mouth!  You can succeed with either surgery and you can defeat either surgery one bite at a time..

best decision I’ve made for myself..

Welcome!  I have never regretted having a gastric bypass as it allowed me to become thin, healthy and more active. My only regret is that I did not have it sooner. 

Spend some time to carefully pick the best possible surgeon and to decide what kind of weight loss surgery to have. These are decisions with life long impacts. 

We are here to support you on your journey. 

Welcome and best of luck on your journey! Your success is in your own hands, so don’t worry about the success or failures of others you’ve seen go through it. 

Mending the yo-yo cycle is so great! :) 

Welcome!! I love your attitude and determination!! It sounds like you're in a great mindset to start this process, and succeed!! Glad to have you here :) 

On 2/16/2018 at 1:12 PM, Brattykid said:

I just recently got a referral from my doctor to go ahead and work with the bariatric unit of the clinic system I belong to and am waiting for them to contact me. 

Did they contact you?  Have you had any meetings with the bariatric unit?  Do you have any question for us?  We are here to support you. :)

I just got a call today to set up my appointment to meet with my surgeon, nurse, and dietitian on April 20th!  Unfortunately I couldn't get them all together in the same day sooner than that.  I'm excited and nervous to meet them to get started on my journey.  I've bought books to read through including Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies, Recipes for Life After Weight Loss surgery, and there's a couple of kindle unlimited (aka free to me) books on the emotional and mental support after surgery books that I downloaded to my kindle.  After reading some of the things on this forum (there's so much!) and mostly the books right now, I'm excited and slightly terrified.  I do not want to screw this up as I have every other diet!

23 minutes ago, Brattykid said:

I just got a call today to set up my appointment to meet with my surgeon, nurse, and dietitian on April 20th!  Unfortunately I couldn't get them all together in the same day sooner than that.  I'm excited and nervous to meet them to get started on my journey.  I've bought books to read through including Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies, Recipes for Life After Weight Loss surgery, and there's a couple of kindle unlimited (aka free to me) books on the emotional and mental support after surgery books that I downloaded to my kindle.  After reading some of the things on this forum (there's so much!) and mostly the books right now, I'm excited and slightly terrified.  I do not want to screw this up as I have every other diet!

Great news!  You are getting closer and closer to the losers bench!! :)

To be clear, weight loss surgery is not a "diet" - it is a very powerful weight loss tool that will allow you to lose all of your excess weight and keep that weight off.  But the surgery is only a tool, and its ability to be successful in the long term totally depends on you developing after your surgery a new and life-long "healthy relationship with food" as well as a more healthy lifestyle.  The "honeymoon period" in the 6-12 months after the surgery, when you cannot eat much and probably will have little or no appetite, will make it very possible for you to come to this new relationship with food.  I strongly suggest that you come to TTF regularly (I come daily) to read posts and thereby gain support, information and inspiration.

2 hours ago, Brattykid said:

It sounds like you are doing all the right things to prepare. I have the same feeling of fear of failure at this just like the other diets. But this time, I just refuse to fail ;)

4 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

Great news!  You are getting closer and closer to the losers bench!! :)

To be clear, weight loss surgery is not a "diet" - it is a very powerful weight loss tool that will allow you to lose all of your excess weight and keep that weight off.  But the surgery is only a tool, and its ability to be successful in the long term totally depends on you developing after your surgery a new and life-long "healthy relationship with food" as well as a more healthy lifestyle.  The "honeymoon period" in the 6-12 months after the surgery, when you cannot eat much and probably will have little or no appetite, will make it very possible for you to come to this new relationship with food.  I strongly suggest that you come to TTF regularly (I come daily) to read posts and thereby gain support, information and inspiration.

Thank you for the reminder that this is not a "diet"!  It's definitely a wonderful tool to assist in reaching my goals to be healthy for life.  <3  I will be making more frequent visits to this page as I've come to think I have so much more to learn.  

2 hours ago, Readytobeme said:

It sounds like you are doing all the right things to prepare. I have the same feeling of fear of failure at this just like the other diets. But this time, I just refuse to fail ;)

I'm sure we're all a bit afraid, glad to know I'm not alone.  Wonderful determination you have.  Definitely inspirational. :) 

On 2/16/2018 at 1:08 PM, Cardamom77 said:

Hi! Welcome! You seem to have a great attitude about surgery and I think you'll find some good information here. I'm really glad l found this board before my surgery. It has helped tremendously. 

I could have written the part about dieting. I have tried EVERYTHING. The last diet I did before surgery was Whole30. What's ironic is that now I'm pretty much eating that same diet, but with basically no effort. Haha! 

This is a great community. Glad you're here! 

Thank you! I like the irony.  ;) It's funny what we can do when we're determined!

On 2/18/2018 at 3:35 PM, Nana Trish said:

Welcome!! I love your attitude and determination!! It sounds like you're in a great mindset to start this process, and succeed!! Glad to have you here :) 

Thanks Nana Trish!  I love looking at everyone's amazing numbers.  It's so great to know (while it's not an easy journey) that it's possible to meet your goals and go beyond.  You're an inspiration!

On 2/16/2018 at 1:20 PM, Kio said:

Hi, welcome!  Sounds like your head is in the right place for surgery - and you've definitely come to the right place to learn about it and be supported through it.  This is a great bunch of people. 

As many will tell you, you can be successful with either sleeve or bypass if you're dedicated and follow your plan.  I had RNY and couldn't be happier; many sleevers will say the same!  And for what it's worth, my sleep apnea is totally gone since about three months after surgery.  It doesn't happen for everyone, but I'm not the only sleep apnea success story around these parts.  :) 

I swear I'm going to burn my mask when I don't have to use it anymore.  LOL!!!!

Use the 6 months leading up to surgery to get into good habits.  The hardest by far for me was the no drinking 30 minutes before and after eating.  The 6 months will fly by!

On 3/22/2018 at 4:52 PM, Brattykid said:

Thanks Nana Trish!  I love looking at everyone's amazing numbers.  It's so great to know (while it's not an easy journey) that it's possible to meet your goals and go beyond.  You're an inspiration!

:wub: Thank you!! :wub: It's definitely possible to meet, and sometimes surpass, your goals!! Just stick to plan, and when the stalls hit, don't use that as an excuse to eat stuff that's bad for you. Trust the process and you'll be successful!! :)