Kio

Calories ... again ...

Hi TT fam... it's time for me to obsess about calories again!

In various areas around the forum we've been talking about daily calorie intake, and I'm second-guessing myself on where I should be at this point.  I'm just over 6 months out, and probably getting between 800-1000 calories per day.  I'd say it's probably about half and half - some days 800ish, some days around 1000. 

My weight loss has been going fine, so it's not really about that... more like what am I doing to myself for the long haul.  I've started to worry - am I eating too few calories and hurting my metabolism?  Will I get to my goal weight (fingers crossed!) and find that I have to stay at this calorie level to maintain? 

I'd love to see some stories from you vets about how many calories you averaged during the honeymoon/weight loss phase, vs how many you have ended up with to maintain.  And also from some of my fellow n00bs about what your plans are!  I know it varies widely from person to person!  Just not sure if I should think about upping my calorie count at this phase (not carbs!) to see how that goes, or stay where I am until I hit goal.  I'm pretty comfortable where I am, never hungry or anything.  I just want to be sure I'm doing it all as right as I can.  :) 

I've just checked my journal Kio and I was around the 800/900 calories a day by the 5 month mark but I had to work at that.  My NUT was fine with that provided I got my protein in.

8 minutes ago, cinwa said:

I've just checked my journal Kio and I was around the 800/900 calories a day by the 5 month mark but I had to work at that.  My NUT was fine with that provided I got my protein in.

Sounds about where I am... I don't work at it, except that I have to have 4 meals a day to do it and still meet my protein goals (just failed to finish two whole slices of chicken lunch meat!)  At what calorie level are you maintaining these days?

I maintain at about 2,000 calories a day. 

I maintain on an average of 1,700 calories a day.

I’m about 1800.  During the honeymoon phase I squeezed every calorie.  I stayed as low as I could.  If choosing between 2 nutritionally similar items and one had 5 less calories, I picked that one.  

I was about 800 to 1000 calories in active weight loss and now maintain on between 1500 and 1800, depending on activity level.

I was at around 800 calories when I was where you are, @Kio. Some days a bit more, some days a bit less. 

Right now, I'm eating 1200-1300 and I think I'm losing really really slowly (although I want to stop), so I need to bump up again. I have to work a fair bit at getting in 1200-1300, so more will be a bit tricky. 

Online calculators tell me I should be able to eat like 1800-2000 calories per day (taking into account my height, weight, sex, and activity level), which makes my eyes get very very wide, but we'll see. They also say I should be losing about a half pound or thereabouts per week at my current intake, which seems like it might be true.

It sounds like you're basically on track with a lot of us here - is that the RIGHT way? I think no one knows. I've scoured the internet for studies on whether different intakes during the active losing phase makes a difference in long-term metabolism, but I think this is just outside the realm of the known in bariatric science right now. It makes me feel like going back to school to be a medical researcher, but then I remember I'm 43 and pretty strongly invested in not going back to school - another 10 years of it is probably not a great idea :lol: I don't think they count MAs in my field toward much of anything in med school.