Lyds85

What will it feel like when I wake up?

1 hour ago, Lyds85 said:

What do they do for the leak test?

Also do they use a catheter?

My leak test was done during surgery. After they finished the surgery and before closing the incisions  they pump blue dyed saline through the stomach and look for leaks where any joins were made. Some though will have patients do a barium swallow the day after surgery. That sounds almost barbaric to me, plus why not just test during surgery so you can fix any issues there and then while the patient is still under.

I had a catheter inserted during surgery. It was removed once they knew I was up and moving around independently. They've never bothered me.

On 15/02/2018 at 1:42 AM, CheeringCJ said:

Hello and welcome!

I went in the surgery room at 10 am and they gave me the iv drip to put me out on the way in so I saw the room briefly but that was all I remember.  Next thing I knew I was in recovery.  It was around lunch time and the dr talked to my husband and told him all was well and he should go get lunch bc it will be a while til he can see me.

I was in and out of it for a while.  No pain for a while but I kept drifting back to sleep.  The nurse would talk to me "you're out of surgery, all went well and you are just resting in recovery now" kind of talk.  After a while they let my husband in (maybe around 4 or 5)at some point The Dr came in but it was probably before that. There was a little pain but there waa a button in my hand that I could push.  I was allowed to push it every 6 mins....which if I pushed it too soon it didn't matter, it just couldn't give more meds til the 6 mins were up) and that went right into my IV so it worked quickly.  It really wasn't horrible pain but it was major surgery so you have to expect pain.  Everyone reacts differently though so your experience will be your own.  I was eventually moved to another recovery room since mine was closing and they had no beds opened on the hospital floor for me,....so I waited there until about midnight then got to my bed.  It was painful to move but I was never more than 6 mins away from pain relief!  I was dizzy and tired so I just drifted in and out all night as they'd check on me and take blood etc.  

You get no sleep of any length in the hospital but they do check on you, give you meds, take your blood etc.   They will encourage you to get up and walk and that is the best thing to help you along!  

There really isn't much to be afraid of....they will take care of EVERYTHING.  All you have to do it communicate it to them.  If you hurt, you tell them, if you feel nauseated, tell them, they will give you med or help you get comfy, so just tell them.  It is a very routine surgery and really don't spend much time reading up on it or looking for horror stories on it, just let the dr do what they do best and keep your eyes on the prize and start getting excited for your new life!!! 

I did immerse myself here to find out what life will be like afterwards and I never regretted it for one moment.   come here often for advice and support!

I agree with all your post CJ 

@Lyds85

Surgery only had minor issues for me. I woke up in the recovery room after surgery remembering nothing. I had no throat pain from being intubated. My team preventively put me on a medication for nausea that made it harder for me to pee (yes, a prostate issue). Since I had no nausea I stopped it and had no problems peeing. Yes to some pain or soreness at the incision sites, but nothing that the meds couldn't take the edge off. Also had some upper chest shoulder pains from the dissolved carbon dioxide in my system coming out of solution (yes it's a "gas pain" but really it's like the bends that scuba divers get, it has nothing to do with your bowels). 

All in all the surgery was less of a bother than a few of my prior broken bones or bike accidents. 

I was scheduled for 2/20 but my surgeon has postponed for a week so now I'm set for the 27th.  Good luck!  Let us know how you are doing.

On 2/18/2018 at 8:31 PM, Lyds85 said:

What do they do for the leak test?

Also do they use a catheter?

I did not have a catheter. For the leak test, I had to drink something nasty and then swallow while they were taking pictures while I was tilted on a long table.  The leak test was not routine but they did it for me for a particular reason, but luckily, it all turned out fine.

Well i had my surgery on the 20th all went well thanks so much for the info much love 

Big gratz Lyds and welcome to the Losers Bench!!! :)