Lyds85

What will it feel like when I wake up?

Im having VSG on 2/20. What was it like for you when you first woke up after you got the sleeve? I just want to know what to expect. Im getting nervous! Also is anybody else having VSG on 2/20? 

I was sleepy, but in no pain whatsoever.  They were monitoring me in recovery for several hours.  I dozed a lot.  At one point I got up to go to the bathroom and was a bit dizzy, but they were impressed I was able to walk to the bathroom as far as I did with just a little dizziness.  It is sort of surreal in the sense that you get a nice long nap - which to you seems like a minute - and the surgery is ALL DONE!  :)

Hello and welcome!

I went in the surgery room at 10 am and they gave me the iv drip to put me out on the way in so I saw the room briefly but that was all I remember.  Next thing I knew I was in recovery.  It was around lunch time and the dr talked to my husband and told him all was well and he should go get lunch bc it will be a while til he can see me.

I was in and out of it for a while.  No pain for a while but I kept drifting back to sleep.  The nurse would talk to me "you're out of surgery, all went well and you are just resting in recovery now" kind of talk.  After a while they let my husband in (maybe around 4 or 5)at some point The Dr came in but it was probably before that. There was a little pain but there waa a button in my hand that I could push.  I was allowed to push it every 6 mins....which if I pushed it too soon it didn't matter, it just couldn't give more meds til the 6 mins were up) and that went right into my IV so it worked quickly.  It really wasn't horrible pain but it was major surgery so you have to expect pain.  Everyone reacts differently though so your experience will be your own.  I was eventually moved to another recovery room since mine was closing and they had no beds opened on the hospital floor for me,....so I waited there until about midnight then got to my bed.  It was painful to move but I was never more than 6 mins away from pain relief!  I was dizzy and tired so I just drifted in and out all night as they'd check on me and take blood etc.  

You get no sleep of any length in the hospital but they do check on you, give you meds, take your blood etc.   They will encourage you to get up and walk and that is the best thing to help you along!  

There really isn't much to be afraid of....they will take care of EVERYTHING.  All you have to do it communicate it to them.  If you hurt, you tell them, if you feel nauseated, tell them, they will give you med or help you get comfy, so just tell them.  It is a very routine surgery and really don't spend much time reading up on it or looking for horror stories on it, just let the dr do what they do best and keep your eyes on the prize and start getting excited for your new life!!! 

I did immerse myself here to find out what life will be like afterwards and I never regretted it for one moment.   come here often for advice and support!

Thank you! :)

I didn't have the sleeve, but we all get intubated, so I can talk about that.  When I woke up, my mouth was so dry that it immediately became my main focus.  I told the nurse that my mouth was dry and my throat hurt, and she was like, "buh?" and did nothing.  I found the dryness so disturbing I sort of wigged out and ended up yelling at them until they got me some sponges to wet my mouth and tongue with.  The throat pain got worse over the next couple of days, the result of me fighting the breathing tube when they tried to put it in. 

And that was the very worst part of it all - a sore throat and a dry mouth.  :)  Oh, and then it took them like 12 hours to get me a room after surgery, so I spent 12 hours in recovery.  I showed up all the other patients because I was up and walking in 2 hours and walked the halls several times every half hour or so until they took me upstairs.  At which point I walked THOSE halls endlessly...

I woke up and had to drink the horrible shake and get scanned to make sure I wasn't leaking internally...that was a horrible experience. Then I went for a walk and it was awesome.

47 minutes ago, TP1210 said:

I woke up and had to drink the horrible shake and get scanned to make sure I wasn't leaking internally...that was a horrible experience. Then I went for a walk and it was awesome.

Thankfully many surgeons now, mine include, use a blue saline during the surgery to check for leaks. The patient wouldn't even know it was done except they have bright green urine output for a day or so.

14 minutes ago, Aussie Bear said:

Thankfully many surgeons now, mine include, use a blue saline during the surgery to check for leaks. The patient wouldn't even know it was done except they have bright green urine output for a day or so.

I would take that over puking repeatedly on an exam table like I did..lol

1 hour ago, Kio said:

I didn't have the sleeve, but we all get intubated, so I can talk about that.  When I woke up, my mouth was so dry that it immediately became my main focus.  I told the nurse that my mouth was dry and my throat hurt, and she was like, "buh?" and did nothing.  I found the dryness so disturbing I sort of wigged out and ended up yelling at them until they got me some sponges to wet my mouth and tongue with.  The throat pain got worse over the next couple of days, the result of me fighting the breathing tube when they tried to put it in. 

And that was the very worst part of it all - a sore throat and a dry mouth.  :)  Oh, and then it took them like 12 hours to get me a room after surgery, so I spent 12 hours in recovery.  I showed up all the other patients because I was up and walking in 2 hours and walked the halls several times every half hour or so until they took me upstairs.  At which point I walked THOSE halls endlessly...

FYI  @Lyds85 you will be asleep when they put it in and when they take it out....so you won't feel it during insertion, being in or being removed....and I had no pain w/ it afterwards so like I said before , everyone is different so you may or may not be bothered by that so don't stress over it.

1 hour ago, TP1210 said:

my dr doesn't even do these anymore.  however, he found a large hiatal hernia during my surgery and fixed it and since he said he sewed it rather tightly it may be hard to swallow and get things into my stomach at first so I had the test.  It was such a tiny opening that it barely got through, but one sip was enough for them to determine all was good and then I went back to my room.  The test wasn't difficult, just moving onto the table was as it was my first time out of bed

3 minutes ago, CheeringCJ said:

FYI  @Lyds85 you will be asleep when they put it in and when they take it out....so you won't feel it during insertion, being in or being removed....and I had no pain w/ it afterwards so like I said before , everyone is different so you may or may not be bothered by that so don't stress over it.

Exactly!  Yikes, sorry if I gave that impression!  Totally out for all of that, all I got were the results of it later!

1 hour ago, TP1210 said:

I had to drink the same thing and it was awful. I couldn't believe they were wanting me to drink all that when all I had been told was sip, sip, sip... Oh well, I didn't have any leaks and I survived!

I came out of surgery with pretty severe nausea. It lasted about 8 hours. Pretty wretched. But once that passed, I felt great! No pain, just minor discomfort. I didn't even take so much as a Tylenol for pain. To be fair, I have severe nausea after every surgery, and I've had a LOT of surgery. I was up walking after the nausea passed, and I was drinking 4 ounces of water per hour before I left the hospital. My thyroidectomy was worse than my WLS. You'll do great!

I had RNY, but I think the recovery is relatively the same. I wish you the best of luck ♥️

Edited by Nana Trish

I woke up throwing up, but it didn't last long and I'd gladly do it again. I got well within a few hours and was up walking laps.

I was fortunate not to have any nausea or pain in post-op but I do remember being incredibly thirsty.

10 hours ago, Kio said:

Exactly!  Yikes, sorry if I gave that impression!  Totally out for all of that, all I got were the results of it later!

no, you didn't say that, I just wanted to make sure it was clear you never feel that happening....just incase in a nervous mind worrying about it might think so.  I never had problems w/ it but my son who had surgery last year did.....so I suppose it is how it goes down and comes out.  Very random...as are all "side effects" etc

Yeah, the recovery room post-op is not the most fun part of this experience, but it'll be over before you know it. We all have variations on a theme in our experiences, and it's a toss up what you'll feel and experience. 

I had no nausea (ever, still to this day, thank my lucky stars), but I was pretty uncomfortable/in pain from trapped gas up around my shoulders. My throat was also really sore from the intubation, and that actually took a week to fully heal. I did not have to drink anything for a leak test, in fact I wasn't allowed to put anything in my mouth other than my Biotene spray until sometime the next day when I was started on one ounce cups of water. 

6 minutes ago, kristinwitha_k said:

Yeah, the recovery room post-op is not the most fun part of this experience, but it'll be over before you know it. We all have variations on a theme in our experiences, and it's a toss up what you'll feel and experience. 

I had no nausea (ever, still to this day, thank my lucky stars), but I was pretty uncomfortable/in pain from trapped gas up around my shoulders. My throat was also really sore from the intubation, and that actually took a week to fully heal. I did not have to drink anything for a leak test, in fact I wasn't allowed to put anything in my mouth other than my Biotene spray until sometime the next day when I was started on one ounce cups of water. 

I had the exact same experience with the sore throat - had to use chloraseptic spray to get to sleep for about a week, and most of my fluids were popsicles followed by hot tea followed by popsicles!

But I never had any pain from trapped gas like many others do, and the only time I had any pain from the surgery itself was a) on the way home from the hospital in the car (bring a pillow to press against your abdomen for the bumps!) and B) when I tried to sleep on my side the first week or so after surgery (sleeping upright, or on your back, or in a recliner for that first few days really helps!)

2 hours ago, cinwa said:

I was fortunate not to have any nausea or pain in post-op but I do remember being incredibly thirsty.

me too, be sure to ask for ice chips as soon as you're allowed......they were like gold to me! 

Great question. I was so nervous about this part. When I first woke up, I was super groggy. I kind of slowly faded back into reality. I was not nauseous, but I had upper abdominal pain from the trapped gas. My mouth was dry, and as @CheeringCJ says, ice chips were gold. My memories of being in the recovery room are like snapshots - I was in and out of it, and I don't actually remember being brought up to my room. Once I was there though, I started walking. It was the only thing that gave me any relief from the gas pain. Waves of nausea hit me from time to time over the next 2 days, and I now know that was from the oxy I was given for the pain, so I switched to just Tylenol.

I didn't feel any pain from my incisions except for the one where the surgeon cut through the abdominal muscle, and that one only hurt when I laughed, coughed, or moved in a certain way. I was so nervous to swallow water or the food that I was given (all liquid). I thought it would be painful, but it wasn't. 

Best of luck to you! The discomfort of your surgical recovery will be a blip on your radar screen very soon, and it's not that bad.

I had a bypass, but I think it's roughly the same other than I think sleeve patients may have more post-op pain due to the removal of the stomach through one of the incisions. Anyway, I don't remember the recovery room at all and woke up when they were wheeling me to my hospital room and getting me settled there. I wasn't in any pain at all, but I was chock full of morphine and had a button I could push for more. So basically I felt high as a kite. Haha! My family thinks I'm hilarious on pain meds, so they made sure to ask me questions and get me to say stupid things. Buncha lovable jerks..... ;)

After a few hours, things started to hurt a little, but not nearly as much as I expected. Honestly, the pain was the worst the day after I went home, but quickly subsided. My throat was dry in the hospital, but they gave me these swabs that had a sponge end that was wet with this lemon flavored stuff. I could use them to swab my mouth and suck on for moisture. I LOVED those things. 

I had to pee constantly, which was annoying, but it also got me up and walking around. Take a robe. :)

I was pretty miserable the whole time I was in the hospital. I do remember some pain when I first woke up in the recovery room, but after a while the two main things that bothered me were a dry mouth and a headache. I was strict NPO until the following day.. they wouldn't even give me a mouth sponge, but that was only because there was a minor complication during the surgery so they were taking extra leak precautions. Finally, at some point during the first day post-op I did the leak test-- which was truly awful, probably the worst part of the whole thing. Once I started being able to sip fluids it was better.  I soon realized that the pain medicine was bothering me a lot more than the pain itself-- it gave me a headache (I know, right? who gets a headache from pain medicine) and just generally felt weird. I stopped pushing the pain med button and I never took a single pain med after that-- no tylenol, no narcotics and I had virtually no pain. So, I definitely learned that narcotics and me don't go together-- with less pain meds I would have felt better a lot faster.

What do they do for the leak test?

Also do they use a catheter?

mine used a catheter which is pretty common, but a few ppl here said they didn't have one.  it is no big deal but sometimes it is hard to void once it has been removed, (especially for men but women can have a little difficulty at first too....nothing insurmountable but just a minor hassle)

when they do a leak test (and mine doesn't do it any more bc he never had a leak in all the years he's done the surgery) but I had one b/c he repaired a hiatal hernia and he made it so tight through my diaphragm that he just wanted to make sure all was well before me drinking.  So what they do is send you to radiology, get your over on a flat table and then they set the table up and have you drink a thick minty (radiological) fluid and they will "xray it" as it goes down to make sure it moves freely down.  It is quick and easy and not painful at all.  

I remember waking up and being in a lot of pain which I wasn't expecting. When I got back to the room the nurses put an abdomen belt thing on me and that did help. Also the day I had my surgery they had me drinking after I got back in the room and I remember thinking I can drink this pretty easy, it was the next day the swelling kicked in and it took a half hour to eat a popsicle !!!