Cardamom77

How much fat do you eat?

So my weight loss has slowed down. I figured it would eventually, but I'm still just shy of 3 months out, so I'm wondering if it's not diet related. One thing I've noticed is that I don't really watch my fat intake. I'm still getting pretty few calories in (600-800 a day) and getting my protein and coming in usually at under 30 carbs, but always under 50. Because of this, I don't really freak out about eating full fat cheese or avocado, etc. Fat doesn't seem to give me stomach trouble, either. I haven't even tried anything with much sugar in it because I don't WANT to know if it doesn't make me sick - haha! But fats don't seem to be a problem. Except sesame-based stuff. I can have some sesame oil, but if something has tahini in it, I'm screwed. It makes me a little nervous about nuts. :(

Anyway, this will probably get way better once my diet progresses next week and I can crunch on some carrots and such, but I'm finding myself eating pork rinds (the bougie ones from Whole Foods) and those crunchy baked parmesan things that are 100% cheese. I won't even keep that stuff in the house because I know if I have a whole bag of it at home, I'll eat it within a couple of days. It used to be sugar sugar sugar and now it's fat fat fat. We'll see if things get better when I can crunch something better for me, but I'm a little worried. I am definitely able to see my food issues in sharp relief now. I just need to make sure they stay at bay. 

Anyway, how much fat do you typically eat in a day? Do you worry much about it? 

12 minutes ago, Cardamom77 said:

Anyway, how much fat do you typically eat in a day? Do you worry much about it? 

I eat heckin lots of fat. In the first couple of months, I didn't eat ENOUGH fat, and I got really dry skin. I made up my mind that if I was eating so few calories and so few carbs, plus keeping my protein high enough, the only other thing there is... is fat! Keto works really well, medically speaking, and it's even higher fat than how I eat, so I'm not worried. 

In a typical day in my first year (which ended today, thank you very much! :)), I got about 40-50% of my calories from fat, about 40% from protein, and the remainder from carbs. My pie chart on the MFP app looks like that just about every day. I eat full fat everything (except milk, which tastes ooky to me at above 2%, and mayo, which tastes fine in its light version to me and has just way fewer calories and not much in the way of carbs). 

I understand that different people have different results, and other people have very different opinions about this than I do, and also that if my calories start to get too high and I gain some weight, I may need to reduce the amount of fat I guess (or double down and go super low carb high fat). I reserve the right to play around with my intake a bit over the next little while, but for right now, low carb, high protein, high fat works for me. YMMV.

In the first few months, too much fat just moved things through my system a little faster than I was used to, which was OK since the opposite was generally true at that point. I had one bad incident with a fried crab cake when I learned not to eat fried stuff. Things moved VERY fast after that meal... :blink: Otherwise, no problems to report.

11 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

I eat heckin lots of fat. In the first couple of months, I didn't eat ENOUGH fat, and I got really dry skin. I made up my mind that if I was eating so few calories and so few carbs, plus keeping my protein high enough, the only other thing there is... is fat! Keto works really well, medically speaking, and it's even higher fat than how I eat, so I'm not worried. 

In a typical day in my first year (which ended today, thank you very much! :)), I got about 40-50% of my calories from fat, about 40% from protein, and the remainder from carbs. My pie chart on the MFP app looks like that just about every day. I eat full fat everything (except milk, which tastes ooky to me at above 2%, and mayo, which tastes fine in its light version to me and has just way fewer calories and not much in the way of carbs). 

I understand that different people have different results, and other people have very different opinions about this than I do, and also that if my calories start to get too high and I gain some weight, I may need to reduce the amount of fat I guess (or double down and go super low carb high fat). I reserve the right to play around with my intake a bit over the next little while, but for right now, low carb, high protein, high fat works for me. YMMV.

In the first few months, too much fat just moved things through my system a little faster than I was used to, which was OK since the opposite was generally true at that point. I had one bad incident with a fried crab cake when I learned not to eat fried stuff. Things moved VERY fast after that meal... :blink: Otherwise, no problems to report.

This is a relief to hear! I have no interest in fried food, luckily. Like, when I smell it, I feel like barfing. THAT level of no interest. What I *want* is avocado and salad with full fat dressing (which I can't wait to have!), chicharrones, and OMG CHEEEEEEESE. All the cheese. All the different types of cheese. Nothing in this world tastes better than cheese to me right now. Haha! 

I wonder if the fat is helping more than the biotin on my skin. I have not had issues with skin except for a short time because I was very dehydrated. But it makes sense to not worry too much about it. I'm still not getting a ton of calories in, so it's probably not something to freak out too much about. I do need to get a grip on the "habit" foods, though. I really think that will improve once I can eat raw veggies, though. 

Fat won't inhibit your weight loss like carbs will. Foods high in fat tend to also be high in calories so watch out for that. Otherwise, you are fine. I don't eat meat so most of my protein comes from dairy which is high in fat. When I was in my honeymoon I ate a lot of nuts. I still love them but can't eat them like I used to because they are calorie dense and will put weight on me. 

Lots of fat here. Dairy is nearly always full fat in my house and I don't shy away from meat with fat either. I also ate nuts from early out. I can't tell you how much I consume as I don't track......but I do know it's not something I shy away from. No fried foods though.....I just don't seem to like them anymore so can see no reason to eat them.

I'm another who doesn't shy away from fats - I usually eat avocado most days along with cheeses, nuts,  EVOO , olives and the like.  The only concession is that I prefer 2% milk and 2% Greek yogurt over the full fat stuff.  And you'll never find trans fats (aka partially hydrogenated) in my house.

I don't avoid it at all. I eat full fat greek yogurt and drink full fat Fairlife and eat full fat cheeses.  :)  I eat those Parm chips from Whole Foods too (but like you, I rarely buy them, because I WILL graze on them - definitely a trigger for me.)  I also eat nuts whenever I feel the need, and when I have coffee, I add either Fairlife or heavy cream to it, depending on what's in the fridge and how my protein intake has been for the day.  When I buy lunch meat or ground beef, I never aim for the lean stuff.  The Dannon Light & Fit greek yogurts I eat aren't full fat, but I would still eat them if they were; they're yummy and super easy to get down.  I also don't turn up my nose at bacon, ever.

I also eat allll the avocado God sends me.  (And if you're not careful, I might eat yours, too!)

Like @Jen581791, I basically figure if I'm keeping my carbs low and still struggling to hit protein goals, the rest of my calories have to come from fat.  And like @cinwa, they're not coming from any transfats.   I rarely make it to 1000 calories a day, so I don't really worry about it.  I suppose if I saw my calories climbing significantly I would cut some back, but for now I'm good. 

Also, I just want to ask - at three months, are you really sure your weight loss is slowing down?  I had a low-ER month or so around that time, but my weight loss hadn't really slowed; I was just having high months and low months.  Maybe you are, too?

You and I are pretty much date twins, so I obviously don't have any veteran or sage advice, but I definitely don't stress about fat at the moment. I keep my protein high, my carbs low, and my total calorie count within a range I feel comfortable with, and let the fat numbers fall where they may. 

I actually prefer the low fat versions of milk, cottage cheese, and yogurt (although never fat free! ew!), and I do buy block and shredded cheese made with 2% milk a lot, as I get more protein for the same amount of calories (since there's less fat.) I think it tastes just fine. I definitely don't worry about the fat content of my meat, though: if my calorie and protein goals are good for the day, then I'm good with it. 

Also, my desire for crunch has been fairly satisfied with pickles. Mmmm, pickles. I get either the big refrigerated dill halves, or I buy the Vlasic "no sugar added" bread & butter pickle spears that use artificial sweeteners. They're delicious. 

Edited by kristinwitha_k

I eat full fat cheese, but prefer skim milk.  I can’t see dumping full fat/calorie salad dressing on something that is supposed to be good for you.  I go the low calorie route for dressing.  For mayo we use olive oil mayo.  I cannot eat fried foods.  A year ago I’d been out shopping, it was supper time and I stopped at Arby’s, grabbed a roast beef slider and the super small curly fries, ate 4 fries knew if I ate more I’d be violently ill.  I’ve gotten sick eating out because I forget to ask they don’t put additional oil on my food.  So I do have to watch it.  

Im still early out, but I only concern myself with sugar and protein, honestly. I haven't purposely been eating high fat, but Im not concerned about adding a butter to a meal to make it more palatable, and I cook with olive oil. I drink 2% fairlife because Ive never in my life liked skim milk.

Looking back through logs, apparently my average is around 40grams a day (600-800 calorie total). Carbs are also 40ish a day, and protein is 60-80. I think its pretty normal for losses wax and wane a bit. I started off month 3 post surgery with a 10 day stall, so I'm definitely behind this month. 

18 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

I eat full fat cheese, but prefer skim milk.  I can’t see dumping full fat/calorie salad dressing on something that is supposed to be good for you.  I go the low calorie route for dressing.  For mayo we use olive oil mayo.  I cannot eat fried foods.  A year ago I’d been out shopping, it was supper time and I stopped at Arby’s, grabbed a roast beef slider and the super small curly fries, ate 4 fries knew if I ate more I’d be violently ill.  I’ve gotten sick eating out because I forget to ask they don’t put additional oil on my food.  So I do have to watch it.  

I should clarify - I don't like cream dressings - only oil/vinegar based dressings. I also don't like a lot of dressing on my salad. So when I say "full fat" I mean that I want dressing with oil in it, not the ones that have added sugar/etc. to make up for the lack of fat. The exception is if there's a REALLY good balsamic available - I don't need any oil for really good balsamic. Salad is good for me, sure, but I also want it to taste good. I don't like to put a lot of cheese/bacon/croutons/etc. on salads, either. Just a nice bit of greens and some veggies and a maybe a sprinkling of sunflower seeds for crunch. I'm seriously fantasizing about salad right now. I'm probably going to go straight to Whole Foods and get one from the salad bar after my appointment next week. 

I've never been one to like a lot of anything as a dressing/condiment. Whenever you get a salad at a fast food place and they give you two dressing packets, I'll use like half of one. And I use Duke's mayo, but I pretty much never use a whole tablespoon on anything. Blech. Sometimes I honestly wonder how I even got fat and then I remember that I used to eat half a pie at a sitting pretty regularly. So that was probably it. Ha! 

Fat increases the bioavailability of nutrients in stuff like vegetables - so using olive oil on salad makes good sense! :) 

Oil and sugar=flavor.  Take one out you have to add the other is what I’ve been taught.  So important to read labels especial lowsugar and low fat.  

Oh and the last couple of days I've gone back to dropping 0.5 - 1 pound a day, so I'm just a worrywart and I need to CHILL. Haha! 

Edited by Cardamom77

1 hour ago, Cardamom77 said:

Oh and the last couple of days I've gone back to dropping 0.5 - 1 pound a day, so I'm just a worrywart and I need to CHILL. Haha! 

Great! 

Very good data that a diet rich in olive oil, nuts, oily fish leads to less cardiovascular risk. And, a big paper in the Lancet last year, a leading medical journal, found that increasing amounts of fat in the diet led to LOWER mortality - and the study was done in many countries globally in tens of thousands of people, so not one of those studies done in 50 people which claims too much. The paradigm we grew up with, that Fat = Death from clogged arteries and too many calories.... was false. 

2 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Great! 

Very good data that a diet rich in olive oil, nuts, oily fish leads to less cardiovascular risk. And, a big paper in the Lancet last year, a leading medical journal, found that increasing amounts of fat in the diet led to LOWER mortality - and the study was done in many countries globally in tens of thousands of people, so not one of those studies done in 50 people which claims too much. The paradigm we grew up with, that Fat = Death from clogged arteries and too many calories.... was false. 

SCIENCE! 

I also wonder if the fact that I'm incorporating fats into a healthy diet now will help my long term success. I do not miss sweets. Honestly - which is a HUGE shocker for me! I thought for sure that I would pine for them, but I really couldn't care less. But I think that I would pine for fats. I would feel really deprived if I couldn't have bacon or oils or coconut or avocado, etc. So I'm thinking that I should probably chill a bit and just make sure I continue to keep my calories where they should be and my protein high and my carbs low. 

@Cardamom77

Still am eating bacon, perhaps you are using a method like this ... I bake thick cut slices in the oven using a frying pan. They cook down flat and become, as you know, crunchy and the fat is rendered out. Since I like my bacon very crunchy and with very little fat I have to be careful not to burn it... When done and drained it's nearly all protein but of course with the flavor of the bacon fat. It gets crumpled up into my Fish Chowder.

I can't add much to what's already been said. I eat full fat cheese, and I don't put much worry into any of the other fats I eat. My yogurt is fat free, but it's not because I'm trying to reduce the fat. I just like it...Dannon Light and Fit Greek, strawberry cheesecake flavor. I will eat bacon occasionally as well, baked in the oven like @BurgundyBoy, but mine is usually turkey bacon. I eat light mayo, but for saving calories, not fat. I DO, however, on occasion, eat REAL sour cream :o lol :) And that's only when I make taco meat. But that's not happening anymore for a while, because I have suddenly developed an aversion to red meat (?) at 9 months out. I think fat is fine. It doesn't seem to affect my weight loss, and until it does I have no plans to remove it from my diet. 

1 hour ago, BurgundyBoy said:

It gets crumpled up into my Fish Chowder

You're making me hungryyyyyy.........

On 2/15/2018 at 2:32 PM, Cardamom77 said:

I've never been one to like a lot of anything as a dressing/condiment. Whenever you get a salad at a fast food place and they give you two dressing packets, I'll use like half of one. And I use Duke's mayo, but I pretty much never use a whole tablespoon on anything. Blech. Sometimes I honestly wonder how I even got fat and then I remember that I used to eat half a pie at a sitting pretty regularly. So that was probably it. Ha! 

OMG...salad dressing used to be one of my huge downfalls. But it had to be really good dressing. Blue cheese was my favorite, and we have a great restaurant close by that makes their own. It's the best I've ever had. And they gave huge portions of dressing...I would always order an extra side of dressing. I'd put one dressing on the salad, and use the second one to dip the giant, homemade croutons into and crunch away...

My inner fat girl is trying to escape just thinking about it!! :D

On 2/14/2018 at 4:28 PM, Kio said:

I also eat allll the avocado God sends me.  (And if you're not careful, I might eat yours, too!)

This!!! ^^^ I haven't eaten much avocado since surgery (with the exception of a bite here and there when I'm feeding Harper his lunch, lol) and this is the first food I plan to add back into my diet once I'm in maintenance :D I can't wait...I LOVE avocado!!

4 minutes ago, Nana Trish said:

I can't add much to what's already been said. I eat full fat cheese, and I don't put much worry into any of the other fats I eat. My yogurt is fat free, but it's not because I'm trying to reduce the fat. I just like it...Dannon Light and Fit Greek, strawberry cheesecake flavor. I will eat bacon occasionally as well, baked in the oven like @BurgundyBoy, but mine is usually turkey bacon. I eat light mayo, but for saving calories, not fat. I DO, however, on occasion, eat REAL sour cream :o lol :) And that's only when I make taco meat. But that's not happening anymore for a while, because I have suddenly developed an aversion to red meat (?) at 9 months out. I think fat is fine. It doesn't seem to affect my weight loss, and until it does I have no plans to remove it from my diet. 

You're making me hungryyyyyy.........

I thought we were immune from head hunger!! :P

1. Make fish stock using bones/heads from haddock cod or similar fish. Delicious, concentrated stuff. 

2. Dice a potato (no bigger than 1/4" pieces), some celery, garlic, and some cherry tomato halves into some stock and boil until the potatoes are cooked. An interesting twist is to use Navy beans or cannelloni beans instead of the potato, which obviously means a lot longer cooking time. 

3. Crumble bacon cooked as above, some diced fish or mussels or shrimp or squid tentacles... or all if you can... and cook through but not over cooked. Then the secret ingredient: a lot of clipped fresh parsley leaves stirred in at the last minute. If you diet allows, a little butter. 

Just now, BurgundyBoy said:

I thought we were immune from head hunger!! :P

1. Make fish stock using bones/heads from haddock cod or similar fish. Delicious, concentrated stuff. 

2. Dice a potato (no bigger than 1/4" pieces), some celery, garlic, and some cherry tomato halves into some stock and boil until the potatoes are cooked. An interesting twist is to use Navy beans or cannelloni beans instead of the potato, which obviously means a lot longer cooking time. 

3. Crumble bacon cooked as above, some diced fish or mussels or shrimp or squid tentacles... or all if you can... and cook through but not over cooked. Then the secret ingredient: a lot of clipped fresh parsley leaves stirred in at the last minute. If you diet allows, a little butter. 

Oh...Y U M!!! Thanks for the delish recipe!! (Except the squid tentacles :wacko: lol)

I'm not immune from head hunger, unfortunately...never have been, probably never will be....hahaha :lol:

Oh, oh...and I really like cannelloni beans. I use them in my turkey chili and they are great :) 

Edited by Nana Trish

1 minute ago, Nana Trish said:

Oh...Y U M!!! Thanks for the delish recipe!! (Except the squid tentacles :wacko: lol)

I'm not immune from head hunger, unfortunately...never have been, probably never will be....hahaha :lol:

... and it's totally filling. Lots of twists and turns you can make to the basic recipe.

Made this on Friday night - steamed mussels using a bottle of Very Refined Fermented Grape Extract beverage (one of those 750 ml bottles ;)) instead of water - then added the reduced wine and mussel juices to the stock. We cleaned the steamed mussels and added the meat to the fish stock+wine+mussel juice. 

Just now, BurgundyBoy said:

... and it's totally filling. Lots of twists and turns you can make to the basic recipe.

Made this on Friday night - steamed mussels using a bottle of Very Refined Fermented Grape Extract beverage (one of those 750 ml bottles ;)) instead of water - then added the reduced wine and mussel juices to the stock. We cleaned the steamed mussels and added the meat to the fish stock+wine+mussel juice. 

I'm about as far from a chef (or even a line cook, lol) as one can get, so I have never cooked with wine. What kind of flavor does the wine give to the fish stock? Just curious if it's sweeter (which was my obvious first thought) or does it just enhance the seafood flavors? And are you talking sherry? 

Edited by Nana Trish

1 minute ago, Nana Trish said:

I'm about as far from a chef (or even a line cook, lol) as one can get, so I have never cooked with wine. What kind of flavor does the wine give to the fish stock? Just curious if it's sweeter (which was my obvious first thought) or does it just enhance the seafood flavors? And are you talking sherry? 

It's a good question! For this I used a bottle of 2015 Chablis (real Chablis, from Burgundy) - I would say it made the stock more aromatic and a bit richer rather than sweeter.

If I cook this with Sherry, I don't use one of the "cooking" sherries but rather a bottle of Fino sherry - costs only $1-$2 more than cooking sherry, but cooking sherry is not anything you want to drink, and my rule is that the wine has to be something you would want to drink if you are going to cook with it!