Sign in to follow this  
Lyds85

Hello

Hi, my name is Lydia. I live in northern CA. My surgery in in 1 week on 2/20. I was supposed to have RNY but the dr changed it to VSG for health reasons. My highest weight was 535lbs back in 2015. Ive since lost quite a bit on my own and currently weigh 418lbs. Anybody else get sleeved at that high of a weight? Im getting excited for surgery but a little nervous. 

I'm not a VSG'er but I wanted to send you a warm welcome you to Thinner Times Lydia!

Welcome Lydia!  The sleeved life is glorious, I'm so happy you're getting ready to be healthier!  There is a wealth of knowledge and support here from both bypassers and sleevers; in fact the type of surgery seems to matter less than the commitment to a new lifestyle in terms of success.  Nerves before surgery are completely normal, after all it's major surgery and a complete life change.  Being armed with all the information you can find and a good support system helps; you can find both here! 

Welcome Lydia. My gosh you've done incredibly well to lose so much weight pre-surgery. It augers well for how well you will manage after surgery.i had bypass for medical reasons but my surgeon does lots of vsgs and clearly sees that surgery a a successful strategy. I read an article recently that gave statistics for WLS in Australia that cited something in the vicinity of 75% of all WLS currently performed in Australia is VSGS....which if I recall correctly was up from 5% just 5 years ago. Lapbands were very common here but have now dropped to only around 6%, and are really only performed on this whose BMIs are in the 30-35 range and as such don't qualify got other surgery types. Best of luck with your upcoming surgery.

Welcome to the site! Did they say why they changed your surgery to a sleeve?