Animalrescuer18

My thanks to those who share

I would like to say thank you to so many of you who have shared your knowledge and experiences regarding your weight loss stories. I had no idea when I joined this forum that I would learn more information than could ever be learned from a book. I feel more than ready for my gastric bypass surgery coming up in March. I know I will have many questions as I go through the process and I also know exactly where to get the answers! I log in here at least once or twice a day to see what’s new and I always learn something.  Even though I don’t know any of you personally I feel like we’re friends. I look forward to my new healthier life and to sharing my experiences as I go. Thanks again!:D

I can totally relate to your post and could have posted it myself in Sept/Oct!  The trick is once you have learned so much about it, keep coming back....don't try to go it alone!  The support here is invaluable and I couldn't do it w/o being here!  

Thanks CJ! I plan to be here a long long time! The support and knowledge here is awesome:)

That’s the way I look at it-we are all friends who have been in the same sinking boat.  Wls was our life preserver out..  I was never told to expect stalls, hair loss (I was lucky and didn’t experience that), I found out about my dannon light and fit Greek yogurt, was told to take measurements on here.  We all get it.  Something many of our family and friends don’t.  

@Animalrescuer18..I'm so glad you have found "your peeps" in all of us - we all feel the same way, I can assure you! This group of people are the most incredible, sincere, caring, encouraging, and the nicest tough love group I have ever met. I definitely wouldn't have made it through my rough patch on TPN and my PICC line along with my numerous stalls without each one of them. Besides my husband, they are my biggest cheerleaders and broadest shoulders to cry/whine on. I guarantee you will get the same royal treatment. We all realize that this adventure full of peaks and valleys that can not be done with out the support of those who just completely 'get it'. Everyone journey is different,zanax and you will find that you're not alone as there is usually someone who has experienced that same thing who can offer sage advice and/or support. I'm happy you made the choice to have the surgery. Some day's (even weeks) are easier than others, but rest assured we are on the journey with you- if you want us! :)

As good as my bariatric programme was, unlike this forum, it wasn't available 24-7 and not one of the staff had gone through WLS.

6 hours ago, cinwa said:

As good as my bariatric programme was, unlike this forum, it wasn't available 24-7 and not one of the staff had gone through WLS.

couldn't have said it better myself!

8 hours ago, cinwa said:

I've never even been involved with the "bariatric program" at the hospital where I had my surgery. My surgeon fast tracked me through their system, and I don't even know if they have a support group. Even if they do, I live too far away to ever attend a support group.

Locally they could definitely use one because many locals have had bariatric surgeries. Everyone here that I know of has regained the majority of the weight they lost. I've spoken to some, and I'm not at all surprised by their regain given their attitudes. Many believe that when their regain gets high enough they'll just have a revision....and a couple of those have already had one revision and are now talking about going in for a third WLS.....like it is just a walk in the park. This attitude would stop me from attending any group they had or tried to start!!!! I only want to take advice and surround myself with successful losers and people who take this surgery with the seriousness I believe it warrants.

22 hours ago, Animalrescuer18 said:

I would like to say thank you to so many of you who have shared your knowledge and experiences regarding your weight loss stories. I had no idea when I joined this forum that I would learn more information than could ever be learned from a book. I feel more than ready for my gastric bypass surgery coming up in March. I know I will have many questions as I go through the process and I also know exactly where to get the answers! I log in here at least once or twice a day to see what’s new and I always learn something.  Even though I don’t know any of you personally I feel like we’re friends. I look forward to my new healthier life and to sharing my experiences as I go. Thanks again!:D

I visited this forum for nearly 2 years before I had my surgery. By the time surgery arrived, it was fairly underwhelming, and I had no questions at all. Knowing the people here and finding TT has been an amazing blessing to me. I feel like in most cases, the collective knowledge here-- the real life, day to day advice from real life people struggling in the trenches, is far superior to anything in a book, or even the handouts and advice from most programs and their Dr's and surgeons.

The advice from those places is usually from a single point of view, or a few people's, and is almost never from someone who has lived the WLS life! I'm amazed at how many times people bring advice here from their programs, that most of us know is actually contrary to successful post- WLS living! My own program and surgeon included!

Congrats to you on making your decision for WLS and I look forward to cheering you on when you get your spot on the loser's bench. Ask all your questions, at least you'll know they'll be answered here by someone who's most likely had the exact same problem. 

@Animalrescuer18

This forum has been my saving grace, and I too have been greatly helped and inspired by everyone here during my WLS journey. The collective experience and wisdom here is crazy amazing, and as far as I'm concerned, this is the most amazing place to be pre or post op WLS...ever!! You'll be quite surprised that one day you too will be the one giving advice to a new member who is terrified and needs advice :) We are always here to help and support you ♥️

I truly don't know what I would have done without TTF and the wonderful people that are willing to share their knowledge and experiences. I knew two people prior to my surgery who'd had wls. One had the sleeve and the other rny. I don't know what either of their goal weights were/are, but I'm certain neither one is within 40 pounds of it. My bariatric team is pretty much non-existent in my journey. None of them were wls patients, they're nearly impossible to get a hold of, and   I put more stock in the feedback I get here than they would give me anyway. I know staying grounded and plugged in to TTF is going to be instrumental to my future success in achieving and maintaining my weight goals. Thanks to all of you from the bottom of my heart!

This was my lifeline after my surgery.  I realized I wasn't alone in this journey.  Ask any question you want.  There will be someone who has an answer.  Best of luck on your upcoming surgery