Five days into a new normal. I feel okay, surprisingly. I am hungry however - which is not what I expected but not excessively hungry. Just had a cup of broth for lunch and will have a yogurt later. Still taking it easy but haven't been on pain meds since day 3. Mostly just tired, low energy, but so far not excessively so. I do have a crazy work life so that is a bit worrisome because I am out of office until Wednesday but still working from home and its not letting up. There is no such thing as letting people heal these days... 

Almost done with 32 ounce G2 which is a major improvement on getting in my liquids. The protein drinks though. So gross and artificial tasting. Any recommendations?? The strawberry Protein Plus is okay. But these Svelte brand drinks are nauseating as are the muscle milks. Is it better to do a powder with skim milk or water? 

Anyway, glad to have a place to turn to for information and advice. 

Welcome to Thinner Times Beckie!

It sounds as if you're off to a great start - try some warm teas - they are often more satisfying than cold ones.  I like Celestial Seasonings fruity ones best.

Protein shakes are very much a personal thing and where possible, samples are the way to go.  My choice is (and always has been) Syntrax Nectar Cappuccino - I can enjoy that warm when the weather is chilly.

Welcome Beckie!  It sounds like you are doing very well.  Congrats on your successful surgery!  I am a fan of the Premiere Protein chocolate flavored.  Honestly, I like it so much I've not tried any others.  Please make time to rest.  Your body needs to heal, and you will feel even better with some good rest.  I hope work leaves you alone soon.

1 hour ago, Beckiewiththegoodhair said:

Five days into a new normal. I feel okay, surprisingly. I am hungry however - which is not what I expected but not excessively hungry. Just had a cup of broth for lunch and will have a yogurt later. Still taking it easy but haven't been on pain meds since day 3. Mostly just tired, low energy, but so far not excessively so. I do have a crazy work life so that is a bit worrisome because I am out of office until Wednesday but still working from home and its not letting up. There is no such thing as letting people heal these days... 

Almost done with 32 ounce G2 which is a major improvement on getting in my liquids. The protein drinks though. So gross and artificial tasting. Any recommendations?? The strawberry Protein Plus is okay. But these Svelte brand drinks are nauseating as are the muscle milks. Is it better to do a powder with skim milk or water? 

Congrats on your new sleeve !!  Your hunger pains could be acid which is common after the sleeve. I take rolaids, or tums when I feel like I may be hungry just in case its acid and 9 out of 10 times especially in the beginning that is what it was.  Good luck

6 hours ago, Beckiewiththegoodhair said:

First off @Beckiewiththegoodhair, your name cracks me up. High five! Congrats on your surgery. Take it easy when you aren’t working. 

Protein shakes are a mixed bag. IMHO, I think the best protein drinks are the ones that you will consistently drink. What tastes great to someone on this forum may be vile to another. Tonight, I made a smoothie with a syntax fruit protein powder and almost threw it out the window. I wish I had a better answer for you because trying different shakes is expensive. I drink Premier Protein shakes in chocolate or caramel. They are eh but tolerable. I also drink the Syntax powder cappuccino flavor and mix it with Fairlife 2% milk. 

Congratulations on taking control of your health!

Hey Beckie! I LOATHED all protein shakes early out, and I still would just rather not. I'm beginning to sound like a broken record because I recommend it all the time, but try Fairlife milk. A cup is 80 calories and 13 g of protein (the skim/fat free variety.) If your local grocery store doesn't carry it, try Walmart or Target. 

Congratulations, Beckie! I know that you must be thrilled to have the surgery behind you.

Sorry to hear that your appetite is not suppressed like many others experience. I have a bad feeling that I will be in the same boat. I am constantly hungry preop it seems.

I like many protein drinks now but, I am still pre op. I would not be the best one to ask.

I wish you luck in finding one that you like.

Hi Become and congratulations on taking the step to have surgery. I've been pretty lucky I think when it comes to protien shakes. They were pretty much all I could manage for over 6 months before my surgery. While I never exactly liked them, they weren't repulsive to me either. Maybe there was a bit of mind over matter happening...I really don't know. The ones I really can't stand are the soy protien ones...no loss given WPI is so much better for you. 

If you really can't stand the commercial blends then there are excellent ways to make protien shakes yourself without using lots of powders. Protien rich milk is a great start, then adding in protien rich yoghurt, chia seeds etc. Many people will add sugared flavoured syrups into the mix as well. My nutritionist was really keen on extra milk powder being added to fresh milk to boost protien.  Just google protien shake recipes as you'll get a myriad of results come up, but you need to ignore those with high sugar additions. The upshot is that you do not need to use commercial blends, you just need to find ingredients that work for you.

Welcome @Beckiewiththegoodhair <-:)  Congrats on your surgery!

Your sense of taste may be a little off for a while, making you more sensitive to artificial tastes, especially sweeteners. All shakes tasted like cr@p to me for the first few months - I was just able to choke them down and move on with my day (it sounds like for some people the aversion is greater than in my case, but I was literally holding my nose while drinking them for a while). Try a wide variety - ordering sample packs is a good idea until you find something you like/can tolerate. My shakes taste fine to me now, so I can tell that my sense of taste has shifted back toward normal. Muscle Milk still makes me gag, but Syntrax chocolate, strawberry, vanilla are all good to my sense of taste. I make mine with 2% milk (Fairlife has more protein than normal milk so it's a good go-to). 

You're just a week or so out of surgery, so being tired is totally normal, and also having a hard time with your protein goals. Right now, they're something to aim for, but don't fret too much if you don't manage to hit them every day yet (that advice will change soon, though!). 

I like Syntrax.  There are sites you can order sample packs to see which flavors you like.  Premiere protein ready to drink is good too.  I think the Carmel is way too sweet.  I make mine with water.  It’s less calories and in the honeymoon phase I squeezed every calorie.  Your hunger could be acid or Head hunger.  Your brain telling you it’s time to eat..

Welcome to the site! i also had a hard time with protein shakes until I found unflavored protein powder and started adding it to foods or almond milk. Best of luck to you!

Nine days out. Those first few days were torture. So much pain I couldn’t imagine that it would end. But I was off meds after three days. Back in my office after five days. And it hasn’t been so bad. Some dumping symptoms - I ate a scoop of yogurt (low sugar) and it had me feeling light headed and dizzy for hours, for example. But I have been conscious about staying hydrated, trying to get down protein shakes - premier caramel and strawberry are good. Chike high protein coffee is a life changer! 

Trying to take it slow but it is hard - I mean that’s what got me fat in the first place! Not just eating slowly but taking these first few weeks slowly. I feel good so I want to move on to puréed foods but my stomach isn’t ready. But it tells me quickly to watch out and I listen  

the pounds are already coming off so fast.  My face is thinner, stomach less bloated, my next official weigh in is on the 28th but my scale says I’m down 30 pounds - but that seems impossible  

It sounds like you're doing all the right things! And you must be in a pretty good place if you're back in the office and doing well. Good for you :) 

I'm glad to hear you're losing quickly - it feels so urgent for it to go fast in the beginning. Let us know how your official weigh in goes. 

sounds like you're doing great, Becky!  Isn't it amazing that weight comes off so quickly?  (it won't always be that way, there will be stalls...the first one around 3 wks....but they will move on and you will get back to losing, just stick to the plan).  Stick around and immerse yourself here and you will become a WLS expert and be successful!