Kio

What are you eating today?

Before I forget, Premier Protein has a new flavor that is pretty tasty. It is Peaches and Cream flavor.

32 minutes ago, Readytobeme said:

Yep! lol When I went to pick them up today the dietician said she almost called me to make sure of my choice. Nobody could believe that I did not choose broths, bars or other flavors since I have to do it for a solid month.

Not only was the strawberry the only flavor that I found tolerable, I only liked the premix and not the powder. So, I spent about $40 more for the premix.  I did buy the entire months worth rather than week to week in order to save 10% on $500.00

I am the type that could easily eat the same thing every day if I like it. I think that I will be fine. The bariatric center said that they ave never before had anyone choose one item/flavor for the entire month. Until now.

I must consume 5 shakes each day and they have to be at least 2 hours apart. Should be good practice for getting everything in post op.

Wow, five a day!  That is intense.  I'm glad you get at least one "real" meal each day, too.  My pre-op diet was two shakes and a low carb/high protein meal each day, and I only really had to do it for two weeks.  Lean on us if you need to rant or rave about yours, we've all been through at least some of it!

46 minutes ago, Readytobeme said:

Before I forget, Premier Protein has a new flavor that is pretty tasty. It is Peaches and Cream flavor.

that sounds YUMMY (as long as it isn't a really fake flavor)  Thanks!

Today I had:

Breakfast - Celebrate Iced Decaf Coffee shake mix with 2% milk - I ended up only drinking half because I got distracted and it sat out too long - ew.

Lunch - SALAD (!!!!!) with some roast turkey breast and a tablespoon of olive oil and vinegar dressing 

Dinner - A serving of Real Good brand chicken crust pizza. It was my first time trying it. It was pretty good, but I'm not sure why I wouldn't just make chicken breast with sauce and cheese - it's the exact same flavors just not shaped like pizza. Haha! I also prefer the cauliflower crust. 

Snacks - Parmesan crisps and Quest protein chips (which I didn't like, but still counted the 2 I ate). 

I'm also going to have a little Halo chocolate ice cream, too. It's the only Halo flavor that isn't overly sweet. 

Edit to add stats:

Calories: 615
Protein: 66 g
Fat: 29 g
Carbs: 30 g

Edited by Cardamom77

1 hour ago, Kio said:

Is optifast really that horrible?

The shakes really aren't that bad, and I found the bars quite tolerable. The soups and deserts though.....YUKKKKKK.....forget them. I was supposed to have three a day for 4weeks before surgery. The only food allowed was a plate of green vegetables a day. The reality was though was that I had two a day for 6 months before surgery with a low carb meal at night. My surgeon was more generous with me than his dietician because I was low BMI compared to his normal patients, plus I had been virtually living on the stuff anyway. I still have a shake for breakfast everyday, because they a considered a complete meal replacement with loads of vitamins and minerals that you don't get from a normal protien shake.

43 minutes ago, Kio said:

Wow, five a day!  That is intense.  I'm glad you get at least one "real" meal each day, too.  My pre-op diet was two shakes and a low carb/high protein meal each day, and I only really had to do it for two weeks.  Lean on us if you need to rant or rave about yours, we've all been through at least some of it!

Right. They said that the first week will be SO hard that we are allowed a few "free" foods. Dill pickles, SF popsicles and cucumbers.

The meal is very specific in that we must have equivalent to 1/2 cup fresh fruit, 4 oz low fat protein, 1 tsp of certain fats and two cups raw/ one cup cooked veggie. We must eat it all in one sitting. No grazing allowed.

I am sure that I will have plenty of rants and whines ;)

Forgot to mention this. The dietician said that we need to keep up with getting our shakes in. If we miss one, we can't drink two at once. If so we will experience gastric upset.

Pretty sure that it is all of the vitamins/minerals contained in this stuff that makes it taste so bad.

Edited by Readytobeme

5 minutes ago, Aussie Bear said:

The shakes really aren't that bad, and I found the bars quite tolerable. The soups and deserts though.....YUKKKKKK.....forget them. I was supposed to have three a day for 4weeks before surgery. The only food allowed was a plate of green vegetables a day. The reality was though was that I had two a day for 6 months before surgery with a low carb meal at night. My surgeon was more generous with me than his dietician because I was low BMI compared to his normal patients, plus I had been virtually living on the stuff anyway. I still have a shake for breakfast everyday, because they a considered a complete meal replacement with loads of vitamins and minerals that you don't get from a normal protien shake.

Sorry but the bars were some of the worst things that I ever tasted. Super raunchy to my tastes. The soups were just horrid to me.

I did a medifast diet back in the 80s and could at least tolerate their soups and bars. Just not the case at all with optifast.

It was funny because there was another guy having surgery the same ay as me there today. He is getting his optifast by the week but, he wholeheartedly agreed with me about how bad they are. He opted for all premix strawberry as well. :lol:

Edited by Readytobeme

36 minutes ago, CheeringCJ said:

that sounds YUMMY (as long as it isn't a really fake flavor)  Thanks!

I can't have the premier post op but, my husband is doing the pre op diet with me. He is going to use Premier shakes. I stopped in at Sams today to get his chocolate and some caramel for my mom when I saw the Peach. The clerk said that they literally just came out with that flavor.

I looked at the Premier Clear and thought that they were out of their minds wanting $20 for a 12 pack. Not that interested in trying them.

On 2/11/2018 at 3:47 PM, Kio said:

Is the cauliflower crust hard to make?  That's always been what holds me back from trying to make it.  I'd love to try it, but I'm a kitchen wuss - if something is hard, I won't do it.  I've been handling my occasional pizza craving with RealGoodPizza, which is a chicken and parm only crust and then tomato sauce and toppings.  Very high protein, very low carb.  Plus, they're tiny.  :)  I'd prefer making stuff myself, though - I can't walk through the door of the Vitamin Shoppe without spending my whole wallet!

I’ve never heard of RealGoodPizza. Where do you buy it?

1 hour ago, Readytobeme said:

Oh! I need to try that!:)

1 hour ago, Animalrescuer18 said:

I get them at my local Vitamin Shoppe - but I think they can also be ordered frozen online!

10 hours ago, Animalrescuer18 said:

I bought some at the Walmart Supercenter near my house! 

10 hours ago, Animalrescuer18 said:

They have a store locator here:  https://realgoodfoods.com/store-locator/

On 2/21/2018 at 10:09 PM, Animalrescuer18 said:

I posted a $10 off coupon here somewhere that should still be good. I order directly from their site but Walmart carries them as well.

Some Walmarts carry them now. I am also able to get them local from health food store.

Edited by Readytobeme

2 hours ago, Animalrescuer18 said:

Thank you @Readytobeme !!:)

Almost forgot to mention. Of course everyones tastes are different but, the beef enchilada was not good at all to my taste. The supreme pizza is excellent IMHO

Also, Real Good has $2 off coupons for buying them at walmart.

First Day of Optifast Today

M1-M3 = 8 oz Optifast Strawberry Flavor

M4 = 4 oz 93% lean grilled HB Patty with mustard

1 plum

2 cups salad with Skinny Girl Poppyseed Dressing

M5= 8 oz Optifast Strawberry Flavor

Fluid Intake = 102 oz

Vitamins= n/a

exercise = none today

What happened Thursday and Friday? Did everyone give up on this thread already?

Edited by Readytobeme

A day in the life of trying to maintain.

Breakfast: Syntrax strawberry shake with a few strawberries blended in (2% milk)

Snack: Greek yogurt and pomegranate seeds (or arils, as @delilas recently taught me)

Lunch: Greek salad - 1/4 tomato, 1/4 cucumber, 1 oz feta, 1 tsp olive oil, 1 tsp vinegar

Snack: peanut butter protein balls (my new snack - peanut butter with Syntrax vanilla powder mixed in, rolled in shredded coconut)

Snack: 1/2 cup tabbouli and 2T hummus (tabbouli in this part of the world is like 99% parsley, so good leafy greens!)

Dinner: Sri Lankan soy "meat" curry with coconut milk and some veggies, plus 2T coconut chutney

87g protein, 1145 calories, 64g carbs <--whoa. But all veggie, nut, and dairy carbs, so OK.

Thank you, Jen. I know that I will be looking back at this thread many times over the coming years. Maintenance ideas will indeed be very helpful to me and i feel sure others as well.

So far today: 

Breakfast: 4 oz meat sauce for spaghetti (without the spaghetti!) plus 2 tbsp grated parm

Snack: 1 oz Blue Diamond dark chocolate almonds (6 net carbs, 5g protein... not bad for a movie snack but definitely not suitable for a daily staple!)

Lunch: Strawberry Premier Protein shake

Dinner:  ??? *

* We have a friend over and will probably order out.  I don't know where they'll decide to order, but we have a pretty small stable of go-to options, and there's something good and proteiny available at all of them.  Or possibly salad-y, since I'm already at 64 g protein for the day! 

Today has been an off day for me but tomorrow will mark 4 weeks out from revision surgery. 

B: 4 oz dannon light and fit greek vanilla with a 1/2 scoop unflavored protein powder (24 g protein 7g net carbs) 

L: 2 oz tuna pureed with 1 tsp of mayo and 1tsp sugar free relish 

D: 2.5 oz pureed turkey chili

Since i am only at 42g of protein for today i will be having a premier protein shake shortly as a snack that should put me at 53g of protein for the day (i know slightly on the low side) and i am at 56oz of fluids so far. When i go for my one month check up on the 6th i should get to transition back to regular food (except no raw veggies or fruits and as much as i wish i could have steak its on the no list as well until 3mos)

I still have one last shake that I have to get in. I wil before going to bed though

M1-M3 = Optifast Strawberry Shake

M4 = 3 egg (only 1 yoke) plain omelette

1 cup broccoli, cauliflower, carrots

1 cup blueberries

1 tsp unsalted butter

M5-M6 = optifast strawberry shake

Fluid intake = 96 oz

No exercise - they are so going to bust me for this.

3 hours ago, Kio said:

So far today: 

Breakfast: 4 oz meat sauce for spaghetti (without the spaghetti!) plus 2 tbsp grated parm

Snack: 1 oz Blue Diamond dark chocolate almonds (6 net carbs, 5g protein... not bad for a movie snack but definitely not suitable for a daily staple!)

Lunch: Strawberry Premier Protein shake

Dinner:  ??? *

* We have a friend over and will probably order out.  I don't know where they'll decide to order, but we have a pretty small stable of go-to options, and there's something good and proteiny available at all of them.  Or possibly salad-y, since I'm already at 64 g protein for the day! 

I ended up ordering a BLT, then taking off the bread.  Also got a side of guacamole - so basically it was a tiny breadless BLT with guac in a bowl.  It was lovely!  Kind of hard to eat, though - I think my BLT needs in the future will be better served by making my own, so I can just put a slice of bacon in a lettuce leaf with some diced tomato.  Much easier to handle.

1 hour ago, ktallon said:

Today has been an off day for me but tomorrow will mark 4 weeks out from revision surgery. 

B: 4 oz dannon light and fit greek vanilla with a 1/2 scoop unflavored protein powder (24 g protein 7g net carbs) 

L: 2 oz tuna pureed with 1 tsp of mayo and 1tsp sugar free relish 

D: 2.5 oz pureed turkey chili

Since i am only at 42g of protein for today i will be having a premier protein shake shortly as a snack that should put me at 53g of protein for the day (i know slightly on the low side) and i am at 56oz of fluids so far. When i go for my one month check up on the 6th i should get to transition back to regular food (except no raw veggies or fruits and as much as i wish i could have steak its on the no list as well until 3mos)

Turkey chili is AWESOME.  =D 

Also - are you only having part of a Premier Protein shake?  A full one has 30g protein, which would put you at 72g - not bad at all.  :)  And it would put you at 67oz of fluids!!!  That's better than I do most days at 6 months out...

Edited by Kio