Kio

What are you eating today?

Since there seems to be some interest, welcome to our new daily menu thread!  We can use this as a daily check-in, an accountability tool, a research library - whatever we need it to be.  Personally I love seeing what's on everyone's plate - it helps me know if I'm on track or off.  And sharing what I'm eating helps keep me honest!  @cinwa is kindly applying a sticky so we can keep track of this post.

There aren't any rules, and discussion in this thread is fine.  I would just suggest that if it's not in your sidebar or your signature, mention in your posts what surgery you had, and approximately how far out from it you are - maybe whether you're still losing or in your maintenance phase!

I'll kick us off -

I'm still losing, 6 months out from RNY.

Breakfast today:  I was late with it, didn't eat or really drink anything until I got home from the Winter Walk.  I had half a mug of tea and two pieces of bacon.

Lunch:  Is also late.  I'm about to have a protein shake and some "skinny" sushi - I found it at Wegman's.  It's salmon, tuna, and avocado, with a rice paper wrapping (no actual rice, no nori).  I hope it's worth the $$$ it cost!  I'll probably be able to eat two, maybe three pieces.

Dinner:  Is going to be about 3 oz of meat loaf

And I just got some more Dannon Light & Fit greek yogurt at the store, so I'll probably have one of those at some point this afternoon, too. 

Who's next!?  :) 

I'll go! I'm still losing - not quite 3 months out from my bypass surgery. My clinic's plan does not include raw vegetables, ANY high-carb foods (except occasionally beans), fruit, or anything crunchy yet. 

For breakfast, I had a piece of sausage and 1 egg, scrambled. Thirty minutes after that, I had some half caf coffee with a little half and half. 

For lunch, I'm having some pizza I made on a homemade cauliflower crust - which is honestly more cheese and egg than it is cauliflower, so still super high protein. I topped it with Rao's marinara (on super sale at Whole Foods this week and REALLY great quality), mozzarella, goat cheese, and fresh basil. 

For dinner, we're having carnitas made in the instant pot. My husband's actually making them right now to crisp up in the oven for dinner. I'll probably eat some of that with a little avocado. 

Today is pretty low-fiber, so I'm also going to be drinking some Smooth Moves tea. Lol!

I've noticed I have zero desire to eat sweets anymore, which is good because my sweet tooth was my biggest issue. I have noticed, though, that I am eating quite a bit of fat still. However, I get in my protein and still come in under 800 calories. Weight loss has been slowing way down, though it's still well within normal range. I'm not going to worry too much about it just now and see how things go once I incorporate some raw veggies and fruit into my diet. But I may need to make some adjustments if things slow down much more or if my nutritionist expresses concern. 

Edited by Cardamom77

19 minutes ago, Cardamom77 said:

For lunch, I'm having some pizza I made on a homemade cauliflower crust - which is honestly more cheese and egg than it is cauliflower, so still super high protein. I topped it with Rao's marinara (on super sale at Whole Foods this week and REALLY great quality), mozzarella, goat cheese, and fresh basil.

Is the cauliflower crust hard to make?  That's always been what holds me back from trying to make it.  I'd love to try it, but I'm a kitchen wuss - if something is hard, I won't do it.  I've been handling my occasional pizza craving with RealGoodPizza, which is a chicken and parm only crust and then tomato sauce and toppings.  Very high protein, very low carb.  Plus, they're tiny.  :)  I'd prefer making stuff myself, though - I can't walk through the door of the Vitamin Shoppe without spending my whole wallet!

I will start off with one of my favorites.

Recipe and nutritional info included (Nutrition may vary depending on brands used). Cooking and prep time 20-30 min. depending on knife skills.

Chicken Cordon Bleu - 4 servings

• 4 ounce, Cream Cheese
  • 4 fluid ounce, 1% Milk
  • 0.50 cup, Swiss Cheese, Shredded
  • 1 ounce, Ham
  • 16 oz., Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast

Reduce chicken breast into similar sizes and grill evenly, until fully cooked (can also be cooked in a pan with 0 cal cooking spray).

While the chicken is cooking, use a sauce pan on low heat, put milk, cream cheese and shredded swiss in for a slow simmer, stirring frequently. Chop or shred ham and add to sauce. If sauce becomes to thick add water or milk to thin.

Once the chicken is cooked through cut on bias, portion evenly, and ladle sauce onto it.

We also like to serve this with steamed broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots. The sauce is great on these veggies as well. Nutrition Facts does not include veggies.

Nutrition Facts
Servings 4.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 259
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 14 g 22 %
Saturated Fat 8 g 40 %
Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 90 mg 30 %
Sodium 464 mg 19 %
Potassium 230 mg 7 %
Total Carbohydrate 4 g 1 %
Dietary Fiber 0 g 0 %
Sugars 3 g  
Protein 30 g 59 %
Vitamin A 12 %
Vitamin C 9 %
Calcium 22 %
Iron 4 %
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.
Edited by AustinJ

Yum can' wait to chew !!!

So tomorrow will make 2 weeks out from sleeve to RNY revision (1/29/18). I am currently on the puree phase. So today for Breakfast i had 4oz of banana and cream premier protein with a half scoop of genepro protein powder added. For lunch i had about an 1oz of pureed meatballs with 1oz of ricotta and 1tbs of spaghetti sauce. For an afternoon snack i had 4 oz vanilla premier protein with 1tbs pb2 powder and half scoop of my genepro. For dinner i may do either refried beans or some dannon light and fit greek yogurt. Followed by another 4oz protein shake later this evening. 

51 minutes ago, Kio said:

Is the cauliflower crust hard to make?  That's always been what holds me back from trying to make it.  I'd love to try it, but I'm a kitchen wuss - if something is hard, I won't do it.  I've been handling my occasional pizza craving with RealGoodPizza, which is a chicken and parm only crust and then tomato sauce and toppings.  Very high protein, very low carb.  Plus, they're tiny.  :)  I'd prefer making stuff myself, though - I can't walk through the door of the Vitamin Shoppe without spending my whole wallet!

It's not hard to make - I've used this recipe a few times but it's a bit of a pitta for just me:  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/katie-lee/cauliflower-pizza-crust-2651381,

I like using portobello mushrooms (roasted upside down for a little to get rid of some of the water), zucchini and slices of eggplant as the base for pizza toppings

3 hours ago, Kio said:

I didn't think it was very difficult, but it was a little fiddly - there are several steps. I used the same recipe that @cinwa posted. I did use the frozen riced cauliflower, though. I just used a stick/immersion blender to blend it a bit after it steamed in the microwave. Seemed to work out fine. And you could make these as big as you wanted to. I made a whole smallish pizza last night, but only eat about 1/4 of it and put the rest in the fridge. That's why I had some of the leftovers for lunch today. :)

Edited by Cardamom77

1 hour ago, Cardamom77 said:

I didn't think it was very difficult, but it was a little fiddly - there are several steps. I used the same recipe that @cinwa posted. I did use the frozen riced cauliflower, though. I just used a stick/immersion blender to blend it a bit after it steamed in the microwave. Seemed to work out fine. And you could make these as big as you wanted to. I made a whole smallish pizza last night, but only eat about 1/4 of it and put the rest in the fridge. That's why I had some of the leftovers for lunch today. :)

Frozen riced cauliflower - that I can probably do!  I don't actually have a food processor, and it's not in my budget right now to get one.  I love that idea, I'll totally try it.

And I'll also try @cinwa's mushroom base idea - that also seems super easy!

4 hours ago, ktallon said:

So tomorrow will make 2 weeks out from sleeve to RNY revision (1/29/18). I am currently on the puree phase. So today for Breakfast i had 4oz of banana and cream premier protein with a half scoop of genepro protein powder added. For lunch i had about an 1oz of pureed meatballs with 1oz of ricotta and 1tbs of spaghetti sauce. For an afternoon snack i had 4 oz vanilla premier protein with 1tbs pb2 powder and half scoop of my genepro. For dinner i may do either refried beans or some dannon light and fit greek yogurt. Followed by another 4oz protein shake later this evening. 

It must be so cool for you to be having REAL FOOD, even if it is pureed!  Sounds like you're rocking it.  I haven't yet found a brand of unflavored protein powder that I like even a little bit - I may try out the genepro, even if its' marketing standards leave something to be desired...

In this cold weather, one thing I love to do is make chai tea, and instead of adding milk and honey, I add about a third of a vanilla Premier protein shake.  I can't drink those straight anymore, so a mix with water is a good deal for me.  I just make the tea extra strong so the spices come through.  It tastes just like a chai tea latte!

5 hours ago, Kio said:

Lunch:  Is also late.  I'm about to have a protein shake and some "skinny" sushi - I found it at Wegman's.  It's salmon, tuna, and avocado, with a rice paper wrapping (no actual rice, no nori).  I hope it's worth the $$$ it cost!  I'll probably be able to eat two, maybe three pieces

Update:  Unfortunately, the sushi did not agree with me at ALL, so none of the rest of my meals happened.  I think it's fiiiiiinally clearing out of my system, so I may risk a yogurt around 9, since 2 pieces of bacon and half a protein shake are really not much of a menu for the day!

4 hours ago, cinwa said:

It's not hard to make - I've used this recipe a few times but it's a bit of a pitta for just me:  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/katie-lee/cauliflower-pizza-crust-2651381,

I like using portobello mushrooms (roasted upside down for a little to get rid of some of the water), zucchini and slices of eggplant as the base for pizza toppings

I don't have a food processor, but @Cardamom77's idea of using frozen riced cauliflower may work for me!  I also really like the mushroom idea!  I'm not really keen on mushrooms on my regular pizzas, but a kind of white pizza... that would basically be like a stuffed mushroom without any breading...

7 hours ago, AustinJ said:

I will start off with one of my favorites.

Recipe and nutritional info included (Nutrition may vary depending on brands used). Cooking and prep time 20-30 min. depending on knife skills.

Chicken Cordon Bleu - 4 servings

• 4 ounce, Cream Cheese
  • 4 fluid ounce, 1% Milk
  • 0.50 cup, Swiss Cheese, Shredded
  • 1 ounce, Ham
  • 16 oz., Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast

Reduce chicken breast into similar sizes and grill evenly, until fully cooked (can also be cooked in a pan with 0 cal cooking spray).

While the chicken is cooking, use a sauce pan on low heat, put milk, cream cheese and shredded swiss in for a slow simmer, stirring frequently. Chop or shred ham and add to sauce. If sauce becomes to thick add water or milk to thin.

Once the chicken is cooked through cut on bias, portion evenly, and ladle sauce onto it.

We also like to serve this with steamed broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots. The sauce is great on these veggies as well. Nutrition Facts does not include veggies.

Nutrition Facts
Servings 4.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 259
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 14 g 22 %
Saturated Fat 8 g 40 %
Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 90 mg 30 %
Sodium 464 mg 19 %
Potassium 230 mg 7 %
Total Carbohydrate 4 g 1 %
Dietary Fiber 0 g 0 %
Sugars 3 g  
Protein 30 g 59 %
Vitamin A 12 %
Vitamin C 9 %
Calcium 22 %
Iron 4 %
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.

@AustinJ does this reheat well?

8 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

@AustinJ does this reheat well?

Yes, I mix the chicken in with the sauce and reheat it on the stove, because I hate Microwave chicken.

Good morning! Happy to see your thread up and running, @Kio!

Today's menu:

Breakfast: 4oz ham and parm omelet (210 cal)

Lunch: 3.3oz sliced chicken and 1 Cracker Barrel white cheddar cheese stick (90 cal)

Dinner: 3.5 ounces taco meat (204 cal)

Snack: 1 Dannon Light and Fit strawberry cheesecake yogurt with a tbsp of chia seeds (133 cal)

Total: 661 calories, 75g protein, 21g carbs, 4g fiber, 8g sugar, 33g fat (7g saturated)

Edited by Nana Trish

11 hours ago, Kio said:

Update:  Unfortunately, the sushi did not agree with me at ALL, so none of the rest of my meals happened.  I think it's fiiiiiinally clearing out of my system, so I may risk a yogurt around 9, since 2 pieces of bacon and half a protein shake are really not much of a menu for the day!

I don’t have a menu for the day. This morning was a very boring Syntax cappuccino shake, Fairlife milk with two shots of espresso. Espresso is a meal! 

I have a friend who uses a low carb tortilla (she freezes the rest between sheets of greaseproof paper):  https://www.101cookingfortwo.com/low-carb-pizza-quick/

I'm on Day Three of trying to up my calories a lot, so I have eaten about 1000 times today. 

Breakfast: Greek yogurt and blueberries (4oz, 2oz)

Snack: Syntrax vanilla shake with 5 strawberries 

Lunch: Greek salad (tomato, cuke, 1 oz feta, olive oil) and egg salad (1 egg, 1T light Hellman's)

Snack: Aged Gouda and sharp cheddar (2 oz) and 2 wheat crackers, 8 pecan halves

Dinner: Fake turkey tikka masala

For a grand total of 1189 calories, 84g of protein.

It feels like consuming food is my full time job this week.

I'm still recovering from last night's sushi mishap, so I haven't eaten enough or had enough water today.  My pouch hasn't quite bounced back yet.

Breakfast: This didn't happen until around 10, and it was - drumroll please! - a banana cream Premier Protein shake!  I thought I'd risk it since I knew I'd be unlikely to get a lot of protein in today.  It actually went pretty well!  So that was 30g of protein down.

Lunch: First attempt - Greek yogurt with some blueberries and cut up strawberries.  Something about it was too challenging, so I only ate about a spoonful of that before figuring out it wasn't going to work today.

Lunch: Second attempt, a few hours later - Half a small Joseph's low carb pita with about an ounce of cheese on it.  I was able to basically puree that with my teeth, so it was pretty successful.

Dinner:  A taco salad - which for me is about 2 oz of taco meat, a sprinkle of lettuce and tomato, some greek yogurt, and about a spoonful of black beans.

For fluids, I'm almost through 33oz of water, and I'll try to drink another 17 later this evening.  I doubt I'll make it to 64 oz total though!

Breakfast: 14 roasted almonds (unsalted) and a boiled egg (I got crazy with it today) and a cup of coffee.

Lunch: sliced chicken breast with sriracha and provolone wrapped in lettuce and a cup of coffee

Dinner: 4oz of cod with provolone and sriracha on a corn tortilla in the panini press, kind of my own fish taco.

I snacked on some roasted almonds at work as well.

Hmm...this was not a good food day for me.  Someone has gotta be the first bad eater today though! :)

Premiere Protein chocolate drink

1 boiled egg

3/4 oz. cheddar cheese block

G2 Fruit punch 12oz (x 2); lots of water

1 Cutie (small tangerine thingy)

3-4 ounces of blackened chicken, with a bite of diced tomatoes

1 Hersey kiss

1/3 of a chocolate chip cookie

Less than 10 smoked almonds

1 Dove dark chocolate (40 calories)

1/4 of a Southwest Chicken wrap from Sam's Club

One tortilla chip with salsa

The sweets are not typically on my menu.  Last week at work, one of my co-workers (police officer) was killed in the line of duty - so there is food everywhere in the building.  While the generosity of the community is amazing, I have an issue avoiding these tasty treats.  Definitely tells me I need to continue to keep the sweets out of my house!

19 minutes ago, TammyP said:

Hmm...this was not a good food day for me.  Someone has gotta be the first bad eater today though! :)

Premiere Protein chocolate drink

1 boiled egg

3/4 oz. cheddar cheese block

G2 Fruit punch 12oz (x 2); lots of water

1 Cutie (small tangerine thingy)

3-4 ounces of blackened chicken, with a bite of diced tomatoes

1 Hersey kiss

1/3 of a chocolate chip cookie

Less than 10 smoked almonds

1 Dove dark chocolate (40 calories)

1/4 of a Southwest Chicken wrap from Sam's Club

One tortilla chip with salsa

The sweets are not typically on my menu.  Last week at work, one of my co-workers (police officer) was killed in the line of duty - so there is food everywhere in the building.  While the generosity of the community is amazing, I have an issue avoiding these tasty treats.  Definitely tells me I need to continue to keep the sweets out of my house!

@TammyP I’m sorry to hear of the loss of your coworker. All my best to you. 

I don’t think you’ve been a bad eater today. Had there been access to treats before surgery, I think it’s safe to say that you would have done a lot of damage. Don’t make grazing a habit and you’ll be fine. 

I probably have a square of chocolate every day. A small square, not a bar :) 

@AustinJ, thanks for the recipe!  My husband loves Chicken Cordon Bleu and he's doing low carb now that he is diagnosed w/ Diabetes so he will LOVE this! (me too!)

Today I had:

bfast: 30gm EAS protein powder mixed w/ unsweetened Almond milk

lunch: tuna/avocado/onion/carrot/celery (all blended in kitchen ninja then mixed w/ a little avocado oil mayo

snack: light string cheese

dinner: 1 oz chicken (couldn't tolerate more) so I will have to eat more to make up for it

snack: almonds

I have to check w/ My Fitness Pal to see how much deficit I have so I can have enough protein

So today has not been a very good day. I was on the low side with my protein and moderate on my fluids. I have been experiencing a lot of pain around my infected incision so that was a contributing factor. For breakfast i had 4 oz of a dannon light fit strawberry cheesecake greek yogurt with a 1/2 scoop of unflavored protein powder. For lunch i did pureed meatballs with 1tbs of sauce. For dinner i had 2oz refried beans with a 1/2 tbs of sour cream. Fluid wise i had 2 grape propels (16oz bottles) and now working on an 8oz mug of hot tea. Tomorrow my goal is to up my fluid intake and my protein.