Tina1965

Hi everyone!

I have been enjoying reading all of these informative posts!  I have done my 6 months supervised diet and my insurance also requires a cardiac visit and a pysch eval.  I have my cardiac visit coming up Tuesday and my psych eval on March 15th, as that was the soonest I could get an appointment.  I'm really excited and nervous at the same time.  I really need to work on getting more exercise.  It's just hard with the way I feel most of the time.  I have type 2 diabetes and am on 4 diabetes meds.  All I want to do at the end of the day is collapse on the couch.  But I keep telling myself I need to start a walking routine, slow at first, then build upon that.  I am also on medicine for high blood pressure as well as high cholesterol and antidepressants.  I can't wait to come off of these meds.  I will be spending my time between now and my surgery reading more posts on this site!!

Welcome to Thinner Times Tina.

Walking is an excellent pre-op exercise and the more you do between now and your surgery, the easier your recovery should be.

Welcome Tina! :)

Welcome Tina!  I was diabetic and took 3 different meds (6 pills a day, metformin, Actos, and gilipizide), high blood pressure, high cholesterol, kidney issues.. I took 18 pills a day, I’m down to 1 thyroid pill.  I’d been diabetic for 18 years, the surgeon “wasn’t sure how much surgery would help the diabetes”.  I went home on a Friday, on insulin and told to decrease it every couple of days.  I struggled all weekend to keep my blood sugar up.  On that Monday, 5 days after surgery, I was off all diabetes meds.  

Good luck on your new journey.

BTW my name is Lois:):)

Edited by Cheesehead

3 hours ago, Tina1965 said:

I have been enjoying reading all of these informative posts!  I have done my 6 months supervised diet and my insurance also requires a cardiac visit and a pysch eval.  I have my cardiac visit coming up Tuesday and my psych eval on March 15th, as that was the soonest I could get an appointment.  I'm really excited and nervous at the same time.  I really need to work on getting more exercise.  It's just hard with the way I feel most of the time.  I have type 2 diabetes and am on 4 diabetes meds.  All I want to do at the end of the day is collapse on the couch.  But I keep telling myself I need to start a walking routine, slow at first, then build upon that.  I am also on medicine for high blood pressure as well as high cholesterol and antidepressants.  I can't wait to come off of these meds.  I will be spending my time between now and my surgery reading more posts on this site!!

Welcome, Tina!

Honestly, I wouldn't beat myself up about exercise right now. For one thing, right now you're sick and medicated and exhausted from carrying your weight around, and starting an exercise program would just be a constant uphill struggle.  And it isn't going to help you that much anyway - exercise is healthy, but it's not how you lose weight.  So please don't guilt yourself into exercising when that's not where you'll get the best bang for your buck before surgery!

The best thing you can do for yourself before surgery is work on your diet. Exercise is good for you, sure, but after surgery you will be in a MUCH better place, and exercise will be much easier and more pleasant for you.  Right now I would say your best bet is to get used to what your new diet after surgery will be.  Lots of protein, some vegetables, and as few carbs as possible, while making sure you get 64oz of water or more every day. Sleep will help too - the more sleep you get the better your diet will work! 

Like @Cheesehead said - after RNY surgery you'll probably be coming off almost all of your medications for diabetes, blood pressure, and cholesterol pretty quickly - most of us RNY folks do!  That alone will make you feel much better.  And you'll start losing weight fast, and that will make movement easier. After a few weeks you'll have more energy too.  And at that point, exercising will be so much easier and feel so much better than it will right now! 

Welcome, @Tina1965 :) 

I agree with everything @Cheesehead and @Kio said. It’s amazing and very freeing to be off all the diabetes/high BP/cholesterol meds! Like Kio said, exercise is good, but losing some weight before trying to start a regimen is best in some cases. I had my surgery last May, and I’ve lost 159 pounds. I have pretty serious knee and back issues, as well as previous thyroid cancer and potential kidney cancer. I don’t exercise yet. I plan to start trying in the spring, but that’s not on the top of my personal list. Try to get yourself feeling better, then dive into walking/exercising. I’m a diabetic in remission, and was on Lantus and Novalog prior to surgery. You will be amazed at how much better you feel after you are in remission!!

Welcome @Tina1965 :) 

You are going to experience so many amazing changes in your life in the next year! I wish you the very best outcomes on your health issues. RNY is a great way to turn around so many of the issues you mentioned. 

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:05 PM, Cheesehead said:

Welcome Tina!  I was diabetic and took 3 different meds (6 pills a day, metformin, Actos, and gilipizide), high blood pressure, high cholesterol, kidney issues.. I took 18 pills a day, I’m down to 1 thyroid pill.  I’d been diabetic for 18 years, the surgeon “wasn’t sure how much surgery would help the diabetes”.  I went home on a Friday, on insulin and told to decrease it every couple of days.  I struggled all weekend to keep my blood sugar up.  On that Monday, 5 days after surgery, I was off all diabetes meds.  

Good luck on your new journey.

BTW my name is Lois:):)

Hello Lois and thank you all for taking the time to reply to my post!!  How on earth do you come off that many meds in five days??  I don't doubt your word, it just seems too good to be true.  Who took you off the meds?   Your surgeon or your diabetic doctor?

Welcome to TT Tina!

6 hours ago, Tina1965 said:

Hello Lois and thank you all for taking the time to reply to my post!!  How on earth do you come off that many meds in five days??  I don't doubt your word, it just seems too good to be true.  Who took you off the meds?   Your surgeon or your diabetic doctor?

@Tina1965 Hi and welcome!

I promise what @Cheesehead said is true. I am a Type 2 diabetic in remission. On my surgery date, I was on Trulicity, Humalin N, glipizide and another injectable that I forget. I’ve been on so many meds for diabetes that I forget when I took which meds. I stopped taking meds nine days after my RNY. My A1c was tested two weeks ago and my results came back at 5.1!

I’m thankful every single day that I was able to have WLS surgery. Trust the tool.  It works!

Just before surgery my husband was worried about how I would be able to fit that many pills in my new stomach.  I literally took a handful and slammed them back; God forbid if I dropped one-i didn’t know which one it was..  My diabetes was still uncontrolled on those 6 pills.  My A1C was usually in the 8’s.  Last summer it was 4.9.  I think I ditched my last pill 6 months later (a high blood pressure pill they forgot I was on.  I went in complaining of things going black when I stood up.). The diabetic educator took me off the diabetes meds.  And my surgeon and pcp took me off the rest.  I went into this hoping to get healthy, and healthy I got.  My pcp doctor recently told me they didn’t think I’d have lived another 5 years, yet no one recommended wls.  I really didn’t even think about losing a good chunk of weight.  I went sledding with the grandkids this weekend.  We have a scuba diving trip coming up (wasn’t healthy enough to get certified before- my hubby is a scuba instructor and lives to dive.  Our trip last fall I made 36 dives!  Something I would never have dreamed possible!).  This is a tool that opens many doors!  

Welcome, Tina!  You will find so much valuable info and support here....my advise is to immerse yourself here and learn what you can.  I have learned more from here than from any website/dr etc!

I had the sleeve and love it!  I've had it just over 3 months and I have lost 50# and am so much happier/healthier....(with not a second of regret)

Hi Tina, I’m new here too. Welcome! It is a great place to get info. Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. I’m hoping to have gastric bypass surgery the end of March. I’m on quite a handful of pills myself. I have Diabetes, high cholesterol, high bp, and on an antidepressant. I have learned so much from the people here who’ve already been down the road I’m traveling. Please post your updates:)

Welcome Tina. I wouldn't beat myself up over exercise right now. Walking is a nice gentle lead in, but I'm living proof that even that isn't necessary for successful post surgery weightloss. I lost all my excess weight while being pretty much immobile due to a foot injury and later surgery. It's been roughly 2 1/2 years since I could just go for a walk. Finally starting to get more mobile only now.

I should also add I did my journey without exercise.  I do get 10,000 steps a day in but that is it.  Due to diabetes I have Charcot joint syndrome.  I have extremely bad ankles and cannot do anything that puts stress on them.  I tried an elliptical machine a couple years ago and thought I’d broken something and my ortho gave me holey heck..even water aerobics don’t cut it..so I guess what I’m saying is that I believe my journey was 100 per cent what I put in my mouth..