My dietician is far to vague .how much protein carbs should I aim for ??^_^

I stay under 50 grams of carbs, some folks aim for under 30. I count the carbs from my fiber supplement in that. Protein should be as high as you can get it - as early out as you are, 60 is a good starting goal, but work up to 80 as soon as you can. (I'm almost 12 weeks out and hit between 75-85 g of protein.)

Mine is vague too, but for a good reason :D This early out of surgery, nearly all of your focus should be on just hitting your protein and water goals, or getting as close as possible. 

When all we can have is liquids and mushy purees, carbs are pretty inevitable. Avoid sugar wherever possible, but otherwise I honestly wouldn't overly concern yourself with carb counts for the first month.

2 hours ago, Lankyliz said:

My dietician is far to vague .how much protein carbs should I aim for ??^_^

Yep protein and liquid goals only for you right now.

Try to be getting between 60-80g protein in a day, and at least 64 oz of water/ tea/ liquids with no sugar. Your protein shakes count toward your liquid goals.

So if you were able to get down two Premiere Protein shakes in a day, you'd have met your protein goal, and also met 22 oz toward your liquid goal.

Don't forget that sleeve folks have it a lot harder this early out than bypass. I can imagine that for you at this very early stage, it's probably all you'll be able to do for a little while to just get two protein shakes down in a day. Sip sip sip and keep them cold.  :-)

Farther down the road, aim for 50g carbs a day. YMMV though.

YMMV?

Thanks 

6 hours ago, Lankyliz said:

YMMV?

Thanks 

Your mileage may vary.

I was told to aim for 1g protien per kilogram of ideal body weight....that's after bypass though. So for me that works out at about 70-75g per day. Protien should be spread across at least 3 serves a day as the body can only utilise 30g at a time.

As for carbs...won't go there as my dietician wanted them really, really high!!! 

Thanks you two x

Totally agree with the above posters. At your stage, it's a question of priorities. Your first priority is liquid. Your second priority is protein. When you have those two things taken care of (probably enough to work on for a while for you), you can start to think about calories and carbs and such - but right now, they're the most important thing. I'd try to focus my energies on protein-rich things right now, like shakes, or Greek yogurt, since there's not a lot of room left over for anything else. If you do that, you'll automatically be eating pretty low carb because you just won't have the time in the day or space in your stomach for carbs :) 

Yes, liquids is the top priority.  You don’t want to get dehydrated and land in the hospital.  If you can stomach shakes they could as liquid and protein so you get a double whammy.  Carbs under 50.  And shoot for protein around 75.  I shoot for protein in the 100 gr.  There’s no nutrition in bread, crackers, rice so stay away from them.  They take up valuable space.  

On 2/9/2018 at 12:34 PM, Michael_A said:

Your protein shakes count toward your liquid goals. So if you were able to get down two Premiere Protein shakes in a day, you'd have met your protein goal, and also met 22 oz toward your liquid goal.

My program says not so much.  I like yours better, though!  I was explicitly told NOT to count the shakes in my liquid goals each day.  That's what makes getting all 64 in so hard for me. 

On days when I don't make it that far on water/tea/coffee, I DO add in the shakes... because I know some programs say it's ok.  :) 

2 minutes ago, Kio said:

My program says not so much.  I like yours better, though!  I was explicitly told NOT to count the shakes in my liquid goals each day.  That's what makes getting all 64 in so hard for me. 

On days when I don't make it that far on water/tea/coffee, I DO add in the shakes... because I know some programs say it's ok.  :) 

Well my program has a few weird things too... :-)  But yours is the first I've heard of protein drinks not counting.

11 minutes ago, Michael_A said:

Well my program has a few weird things too... :-)  But yours is the first I've heard of protein drinks not counting.

I just went to look at it to see... because I wondered if maybe I was remembering it wrong.  Not counting shakes is actually explicit in Stage 2  - "Fluid goal: 48-64 oz. This does not include your protein shakes." 

But now I'm wondering if that was maybe meant JUST for Stage 2?  All the other stages just say "Fluid goal: 48-64 ounces."

Then again, when showing sample menus and how to count them for Stage 4 (final stage), they count a scoop of protein powder in a glass of milk as protein, but don't add it into the fluid column...

Ah, well.  I'm staying within SOMEBODY's guidelines... =D

1 hour ago, Kio said:

I just went to look at it to see... because I wondered if maybe I was remembering it wrong.  Not counting shakes is actually explicit in Stage 2  - "Fluid goal: 48-64 oz. This does not include your protein shakes." 

My program was explicitly clear that I should be trying to get 64 ounces of clear fluids (so not including protein shakes) as soon as I could manage it. But naturally that's really difficult in the first couple weeks.