Jessreed

Three months until my surgery

I am three months or so until my surgery. My surgeon's office told me that I needed to lose some weight but not allot and not fast. It is so hard as a fat person to be told to make all these dietary changes and not lose allot of weight! I get freaked out and binge. I am afraid I may even gain, eek!  The thing is I know I can lose weight. I have lost one hundred pounds more than once.... And various amounts lots of times.... I just haven't been able to keep it all off.... So, I just want to get off of this roller coaster ride. 

Did anyone else have this experience?

Hi @Jessreed and welcome! Your fears are totally normal and very common to hear on this forum - we have all had unpleasant experiences with working so hard to lose and then just gaining the weight back - it's heartbreaking. The good news is that your surgery will allow you to lose, and then also help you to keep the weight off in the future (goodbye rollercoaster). The effects of WLS on your whole system are really interesting and worth reading about if you haven't already. Here's a link to a post where I collected some of the stuff I read that was really reassuring and helpful: 

As for losing in a the way your surgeon's office has asked you to, I suspect that their advice to lose some weight and not a lot and not fast comes from dealing with people who have a lot of experience crash dieting (some of us are practically professional dieters, am I right?). Your surgeon should have a plan they'd like you to follow - and you should ask for it. That might make you feel less panicked about failing. If for some reason they don't have a specific plan for you, your best bet is probably to try to eat in a way that's good training for after surgery. That would mean: measure your portions, track what you're eating (My Fitness Pal or other tracking mechanism), cut carbs (especially limit sugar, bread, pasta, rice, etc), eat more protein, take small bites, and eat more slowly. Increase your water intake. Cut out soda and other drinks with sugar and/or carbonation. All of these things are going to help you get ready for life post-op, and any pounds you lose between now and then are pounds you don't have to lose later. They'll stay off this time :) 

Best of luck - let us know how you're doing. 

Thank you so much for the reassurance! I appreciate it. My surgeon's office mentioned that they needed me to keep my BMI at a certain level for the insurance company. That was one of the reasons I was and am so nervous. Because I know I can lose but maintaining especially a higher weight on purpose is freaking me out. When I am up I usually don't pay attention to where I am with wise. It is only when I am down or losing.... 

3 hours ago, Jessreed said:

Thank you so much for the reassurance! I appreciate it. My surgeon's office mentioned that they needed me to keep my BMI at a certain level for the insurance company. That was one of the reasons I was and am so nervous. Because I know I can lose but maintaining especially a higher weight on purpose is freaking me out. When I am up I usually don't pay attention to where I am with wise. It is only when I am down or losing.... 

Best of luck losing a little :) Sorry you have to keep your BMI at a certain level for insurance purposes, but we have to do what we have to do, right? Insurance companies :angry:

You might want to check out Milla K on YouTube - she actually had to GAIN in order to qualify :blink: But she did, and that's now several years in the past. Her videos are great, btw. 

Depending on how much you have to lose, maybe your doctor’s office would prefer you do what my doctor had me do.  Because I was so close to the minimum BMI, they didn’t have me lose any weight until insurance approved my surgery. Then, I had to lose 5% before my final pre-surgery appointment. That was like 13 lbs, which I easily dropped in less than two weeks by just going super low carb.

Though, I wonder why they said not to lose it fast. Weight always comes off fast at first. I mean, it’s mostly water weight but that seems to practically fall off when you’re heavy and haven’t been dieting. How much do they want you to lose in all?

@athenarose from what they were saying to me they only want me to lose very minimal weight. My BMI is 41.5 according to the doctor's office.... (That did not match my chart) and they do not want me to lose below 40. Which is what freaks me out. I know I can drop below forty in a finger snap... But I also know I can gain that fast too!

Edited by Jessreed
Poor spelling