On 3/27/2018 at 3:21 AM, Blueskies said:

Looks fun.

Lol, when I started riding a bike again I had a Huffy and could not get the kickstand up so I could only make left hand turns but that was ok because 1 or two trips around the block was as much as I could do.  I did a little more everyday until I was barely using mycar. I got the upper body and core strength up and learned how to get the muscles working together. If anyone is discouraged by the bottom pain work on your arms.

Hi Blueskies, how is that cycling going for you now? (I was just in Austin with it being > 100 F and then torrential rain on the 4th July - - - challenging conditions to ride in!)

Lol. The heat is why I like riding more than walking! The road and sidewalk and cloud of radiating heat makes walking hard. On a bike I am off that hot ground.  On the Llano Estacado we have monsoon and flash flooding when it rains so I don't ride those days. Austin has it's unique bike culture. I used to live in Wichita Falls. I will always be a casual rider compared to the many HHH fans!

On 7/7/2018 at 9:38 PM, Blueskies said:

Lol. The heat is why I like riding more than walking! The road and sidewalk and cloud of radiating heat makes walking hard. On a bike I am off that hot ground.  On the Llano Estacado we have monsoon and flash flooding when it rains so I don't ride those days. Austin has it's unique bike culture. I used to live in Wichita Falls. I will always be a casual rider compared to the many HHH fans!

That definitely makes sense. Here the heat isn't nearly as bad when you're riding and there's a breeze. But Northwest Arkansas doesn't get as hot as Austin, so hats off to you. :)

I had to cut my ride home short. Y'all, don't try to ride in the late afternoon when you've only eaten 200 calories because you forgot to pack work snacks. Luckily, my husband was able to come rescue me from a blood sugar nosedive. :( 

But I climbed all the hills today! 

8 minutes ago, Cardamom77 said:

That definitely makes sense. Here the heat isn't nearly as bad when you're riding and there's a breeze. But Northwest Arkansas doesn't get as hot as Austin, so hats off to you. :)

I had to cut my ride home short. Y'all, don't try to ride in the late afternoon when you've only eaten 200 calories because you forgot to pack work snacks. Luckily, my husband was able to come rescue me from a blood sugar nosedive. :( 

But I climbed all the hills today! 

Good for you! Getting up those hills is a NSV for sure!!:D

(if you have one of those little packs that hangs off the back of your saddle, consider putting a protein bar or two or something similar in it for the next time you are low. So here's the funny story: I keep those in my saddle bag, and my local squirrels checked through the bag fabric to eat the bar this spring. I had to replace the bag!! The wrapper around the protein bar must have been accidentally pierced so the scent of the food got out). 

Edited by BurgundyBoy
added sentence

13 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Good for you! Getting up those hills is a NSV for sure!!:D

(if you have one of those little packs that hangs off the back of your saddle, consider putting a protein bar or two or something similar in it for the next time you are low. So here's the funny story: I keep those in my saddle bag, and my local squirrels checked through the bag fabric to eat the bar this spring. I had to replace the bag!! The wrapper around the protein bar must have been accidentally pierced so the scent of the food got out). 

For sure. I ride with one pannier to hold my locks and that is definitely the plan! 

1 hour ago, Cardamom77 said:

For sure. I ride with one pannier to hold my locks and that is definitely the plan! 

Yet more kudos for those hills.  I bet in the future you will routinely handle them and indeed slyly wear polka-dots as your local "King of the Mountains" attire (in the Tour de France, the person with the best times in the Mountains gets to wear this jersey). 

My knees are poster-childs [poster-knees?] for the Woe, Wreckage, Pain and Disturbing Noises linked to knees tormented by too much weight and overuse. I never hit hills without at least a few seconds of thinking about what gearing to use. 

image.thumb.png.d433f9c9be40bb48c5e5dcf8f1b2b73f.png