So, money be damned. I bought a bike. I found a bike close to the one I wanted, but way cheaper. I'll have to partially assemble it, which means knocking the rust off my bike mechanic skills, but I'm confident I'll be able to do it. Anyway, I got this bike. It's a Raleigh Clubman. It's got a steel frame, but was only 2 lbs heavier than the alloy, so no biggie there. I did not pay the $799 list price for it. I paid $445 for it brand new. I looked up some reviews and the disc brakes are fine, but the pads suck, so I'm going to just replace them with some Kool Stop pads while I'm assembling it. At this price point, I think I did pretty damn good! I plan to put it together this weekend and be going on some short rides next week and then riding every morning for exercise as well as working some rides into my work week. If I don't have client meetings, there is no reason I can't ride it to the "office" (we call the Whole Foods bar our office because we don't have one - haha!). I'm really excited, but feel a little selfish. The ONLY downside to buying it was that we could use the money. But I can find money elsewhere. I really should do this. 

So glad to get back into it! I won't be selling this one. 

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 12.16.05 PM.png

Way to go, what deal! Money well spent, a few bucks now for a healthy forever.

Excited for you!!!

just saw an ad for this...encouraging people to bike

https://peopleforbikes.org

Edited by CheeringCJ

Thanks @AustinJ and @CheeringCJ! I don't know if you could tell from me blabbing on other posts, but I was suuuuuuper sad about not having a bike. There are two types of exercise I actually like to do: cycling and roller skating. Roller skating will require a bit of work on my knees before I can get back into that, but cycling is absolutely doable. I hadn't ridden in a couple of years mainly due to my stomach fat making it difficult for me to lean over (I always ride with dropped bars - if I ride upright everything hurts and I hate it). I had a lot of visceral belly fat that made it hard to ride without my knees pointing outward - which is VERY BAD. I got very very out of shape and when I tried to ride eventually, it didn't go well. I wound up selling my Salsa Vaya to fund medical bills. :( I had planned to get a new one when our tax refund got in, but our refund is not great this year. I decided to do it anyway, though. Fingers crossed that it doesn't put us in the poor house. But I did opt to buy it up front rather than on credit, which I'm glad about. Done deal. :) 

4 hours ago, Cardamom77 said:

cycling and roller skating

I hear you on both of these. Exercise that's fun is so much better. Get on that bike and ride! :) 

glad you love it so much.....next week you will be out there biking!!! Have FUN!!!

Starting to build it tonight! I had to go buy some grease for the pedals and seatpost, but I should be good to go now. It's been a while since I've put any bike stuff together, so I'm both excited and a little nervous. But I should be able to handle it. The hardest parts are adjusting the derailleurs and brakes. 

Meet Mildred! Millie for short. Those fenders are coming off though. I forgot I hate them. They’re cute, but if they’re not juuuuust right, they rub the tires. 

79682A07-118D-42C6-BA31-0E5C6460B0A2.jpeg

Welcome, Millie.....now get to work with our Cardamom and whip her into shape! ;) 

Fenders are off this morning. I'm going to put her on the trainer later this afternoon and see how that is before I go outside on her. My former bike had bar end shifters and this one has brifters, so it's a new shifting situation and I want to make sure I have the hang of it before trying to ride on the street. Excited! 

I think you'll find the shifters on the brake stems pretty handy - once you get used to them it is hard to go back to the bar end shifters! 

It's funny you are pulling your fenders off... I'm going to buy some fenders this weekend for my bike. The weather has finally gotten above freezing here and the road is beginning to call to me....

2 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

I think you'll find the shifters on the brake stems pretty handy - once you get used to them it is hard to go back to the bar end shifters! 

It's funny you are pulling your fenders off... I'm going to buy some fenders this weekend for my bike. The weather has finally gotten above freezing here and the road is beginning to call to me....

Yeah, I think I'll prefer them to the bar-ends. I just need to get the hang of them!

I HATE fenders. I will probably put some different tires on this bike soon and the clearance wasn't great on these fenders - especially given that the front one was already rubbing on the tire. They're just too finicky. I don't mind getting some mud on me. When I used my bike to commute, I always wiped down and changed clothes anyway, so it was no biggie. 

On 2/16/2018 at 1:46 PM, Cardamom77 said:

Yeah, I think I'll prefer them to the bar-ends. I just need to get the hang of them!

I HATE fenders. I will probably put some different tires on this bike soon and the clearance wasn't great on these fenders - especially given that the front one was already rubbing on the tire. They're just too finicky. I don't mind getting some mud on me. When I used my bike to commute, I always wiped down and changed clothes anyway, so it was no biggie. 

I have to laugh at myself. I bought this wonderful bike a few years ago with very wide front and rear forks which allow me to ride with larger tires - now have a set of Schwalbe 32Cs on my bike, which are heavy and essentially puncture-proof tires, which is why I am running them.  But here in Boston I find a long ride in wet weather -->> I get caked in muck. And my super-duper-cool bike does not have eyelets for fenders, so will have to strap on fenders. And I know they are aerodynamic drag. But I weigh so much less now that when I ride I am a gazillion miles faster than I used to be!

We just got 5" of snow at my house. Not quite time for cycling yet...

Looks fun.

Lol, when I started riding a bike again I had a Huffy and could not get the kickstand up so I could only make left hand turns but that was ok because 1 or two trips around the block was as much as I could do.  I did a little more everyday until I was barely using mycar. I got the upper body and core strength up and learned how to get the muscles working together. If anyone is discouraged by the bottom pain work on your arms.