I'm struggling to know if the sensation I feel is full or gas pain ...how many sips how often ...iE how long should it take me to finish a shake ???

How should I spread out my litre of fluid ^_^

First, I did not sip because every time you put a cup or glass to your mouth and take a sip, you take in air and that can lead to bloating.  And as for the no straw rule, forget it.  Many of our members will tell you that using a straw (or sippy cup or bottle with a valve) will help reduce the amount of air you take in substantially.

I had no issue drinking pretty much normally straight out of surgery but I have never been a chugger or a gulper.  I just liked a reasonable mouth of fluid at a time and the big tip there is not to wait until you're thirsty because by that time, you're behind the curve ball.

A liter of fluid is 4.2 cups of fluid.  Our goal was/is 64 oz/a day which is 8 cups.  I was lucky - I was able to drink 8 to 10 cups of fluid a day with no problem.

The only issue I ever had was with the temperature of my drinks.  Even now, I have a problem getting anything down that isn't warmer than room temperature.  Warm teas (I like Celestial Seasonings fruity flavours) are still my go-to.

42 minutes ago, Lankyliz said:

I'm struggling to know if the sensation I feel is full or gas pain ...how many sips how often ...iE how long should it take me to finish a shake ???

How should I spread out my litre of fluid ^_^

One of the main differences early out between sleeve and bypass is the ability to take in larger quantities of liquid. With sleeve, you have a lot of restriction, PLUS you're swollen and inflamed from just having your insides jacked up. By my second day post-op (I'm bypass), I was able to meet my 64 oz/ 2 L a day liquid goal, since liquid basically flows right through my pouch, into the intestines.

You still have your valve intact so getting liquid in early on will be a struggle. So especially for you, you will need to sip sip sip all day long to meet your liquid goals.As for as "how long" or "how many", only you can answer that as you pace yourself and see how you're doing. I would not be surprised if you couldn't hit your goals immediately, but try. Dehydration will severely complicate things for you, and many end up in the ER or hospitalized to get IV fluids.

Get yourself a water bottle with a bite valve - it's the only way I meet my fluid goals without a lot of air in my stomach.

You're only two days out, so it's going to take you a loooooong time to drink anything. On my first day home (3 days after surgery) it was taking me an hour to drink 8 ounces, iirc. Be patient. But also, take it easy? If you're experiencing discomfort slow down. I don't remember feeling any sensation of "fullness" from fluids unless I took too large of a swallow. 

I believe the rule of thumb was one ounce of fluids every 15 minutes early on.

Thankyou will get a shot glass and try doing it that way ...I know see what you mean by my new full time job x Presume my bloated belly is going to go down one day ..:oits huge

I did a shot glass, 2 oz every 15 minutes and I set the alarm on my phone.  8 hours and I had my 64 oz in.  The blasted alarm took the clock watching out of it.

My surgeon and nutritionist told me in the beginning to drink one ounce every 5-10 minutes. It would take you about 3-4 hours to get in a liter going that route. I really struggled getting fluids in due to swelling in the first week, so treating fluids like they were my literal job was the only thing that kept me out of the hospital.  I just set a timer and lined up a few little one ounce (medicine cups) on my table :D 

Edited by delilas

On 2/8/2018 at 12:35 AM, Lankyliz said:

Presume my bloated belly is going to go down one day

It took mine a good long time to go away, but it DID go away! It feels really strange, doesn't it? 

@delilas has got a great method - treating it like a job and using a timer. 

I did the same as @cinwaearly on. My body has a "tell" I will burp like a mad man when I do it wrong!