fat2fitrunner

5 years out and impossible to lose weight

On 3/12/2018 at 2:24 PM, Kio said:

Honestly, I would back off the running a bit.  Stress causes your body to hang onto its stores, and between fretting about your health and running 3 miles almost every day, you may just be overdoing it. 

Take a week off from the running, make sure you're getting at least 8 hours of sleep every night, get at least 64 oz of water every day, and at least 60-70 grams of protein a day.  I'd also consider dropping the protein bars in favor of a few ounces of dense protein - chicken, pork, shrimp, beef, whatever.  Sometimes sugar alcohols can stall you out. 

Mainly, rest up and relax.  If you're nervous about dropping exercise entirely, maybe walk your distance instead of running this week.  Your heart is in the right place - you're working hard.  But maybe changing things up a bit will help?

That's really good advice. Thanks!

Have you tried HIIT? From reading studies, it looks pretty promising as a better way to decrease body fat than cardio (running). It’s worth a look, if you haven’t tried it, anyway.

Ugh. Sorry you're still not getting the results you want. That's very frustrating. Jen's recommendation of HIIT is a good one. You probably already know this, but you want to be working out in your target heart rate zone, which you can calculate here: https://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/heartrate

You're doing everything right. Maybe talk to your PCP about doing some bloodwork to see if this could be a thyroid issue or something.

9 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Have you tried HIIT? From reading studies, it looks pretty promising as a better way to decrease body fat than cardio (running). It’s worth a look, if you haven’t tried it, anyway.

No, I haven't tried it. I'd give it a shot, but I really enjoy running. I have noticed that my legs are like rocks, and my abs are tightening, and my love handles are shrinking. So even if the scale isn't moving, things are happening.

1 minute ago, fat2fitrunner said:

No, I haven't tried it. I'd give it a shot, but I really enjoy running. I have noticed that my legs are like rocks, and my abs are tightening, and my love handles are shrinking. So even if the scale isn't moving, things are happening.

That's good news!

My personal trainer was telling me just this week that running is NOT the answer for weight loss. Weight lifting that incorporates cardio is the most efficient way to tackle the weight, from what he says. Maybe run 2-3 times a week - if you are still enjoying it - and do weights 1-2 times a week? Can you treat yourself to a personal trainer? Even once a week would be wonderful and he/she would have some great insight on switching up your routine. I just ordered Indian Clubs from Amazon and plan to do exercises using Youtube videos. Just trying something different might surprise your body and metabolism. 

You've got this! Keep up the good work! And put your scale away and only get on once a day, at most. I push mine under the cabinet so I can't get on it. I weigh twice a week. 

Hello, I've done extensive study on what excessive dieting, yo yo dieting, WLS, etc.., does to the body, AKA yours truly. From WLS surgeons to non ones, nutritionists and just scientists who study the brain for obestity. Collectively what I've read is this, after ANY major weight loss, be it WLS or just watching calories, our bodies go thru a traumatic change, (medical starvation if WLS), keep in mind that our metabolism is already damaged from all the years of dieting. After a while, could be 2 years or 6 years, the brain tries to repair the body from starving and it seems no matter what we do (unless you go back to starving), it starts holding on to every pound and actually re-gain some....and this is where it gets hard...according to study if we eat healthy, not necessarily keto, (80% of the time) for about a year, our brains will find a number (it may be a number you don't like) that it is happiest at and will begin trying to "repair" the damage that it THINKS we have done. Remember healthy is NOT a number, it's a condition, being married to a man for 39 years  who has NEVER been obese, I will say that his advice does NOT work! LOL

Work SLOWLY and STEADILY every day to make good decisions but don't STRESS over it if you eat "bad" sometimes. I'm not perfect by no means, I am 3 1/2 years post op and TRY  to maintain a 5-10 regain, it's NOT easy and gets so frustrating, but, it's my life and how my body does. I will say this, it's getting harder to just gain a lot of weight so I think I'm doing something right, fingers crossed :-)