Ladybugzzz86

In need of some food ideas plz

OK so I am on my Stage 4 - smooth diet now, and am having a very hard time keeping things down since leaving the hospital. So this stage is moist, cubed, mashed, basically easy to swallow foods, nothing raw, and no potato, bread, pasta, flour. My problem being the only thing that seems to settle my stomach is soda crackers (with a tiny bit of tuna or egg salad, as tolerated), which, I know, is flour. 

So I am looking for any hints, tricks, or tips you might have, especially if you went through something similar. The problem is my body, not the stage (even soups are my enemy ATM). It feels like Rocky trained on me instead of the side of cow in the movie, my front and backsides are very very sore. Even water hurts to drink. 

So if you have a favorite recipe that got you through a hard time, please share :) I am avg 300cal per day with less than 30g protein. Thanks for taking the time to read my post, and hope to hear from you ;)

Egg salad, chicken salad, cottage cheese, refried beans...buffalo chicken dip..

Ricotta cheese is great. You can sweeten it with stevia and eat it cold or make it hot & savory with garlic powder and salt. Some people love yogurt (I am not one of those people). I ate a lot of pureed turkey chili and split pea soup with ham at this stage (which also required me to take gas pills. Ha!). You may want to swap the flour crackers for Quest protein chips or Whisps (parmesan crisps). I also ate really thinly sliced deli meats and string cheese.

It sounds weird, but pork rinds (in the chips/pretzels/snack food section) is pretty mild and may work in the place of soda crackers also.  They are only protein...but they crunch and are bland like crackers.  Also, sometimes yogurt helps settle the stomach...pick greek yogurt which is packed w/ protein!  Cottage cheese might help too....if you hate the lumps, try blending it (and if you hate the taste, try blending it and adding sugar free instant pudding mix!)

Honestly... I also had some trouble advancing my diet, so I just didn't for a while.  All of my stages lasted a couple of weeks longer than my surgeon's plan required.  My nutritionist agreed that if I were having trouble getting into the next stage, spending another week or so healing before moving on was better than trying to force it. 

So I only needed to be on yogurt/ricotta/shakes for about two weeks, but I was actually on them for five.  And it wasn't bad - it was certainly better than throwing up.  When I did start advancing my diet, I went super slow, adding in only one "sure thing" per week.  For instance, I was able to add in shredded chicken (dark meat only) well before I was able to add in anything else.  And I'm 6 months out in two days - and still can't really eat tuna, which should be among the easiest of foods.

So instead of a food idea, I guess my suggestion is to stick with the stuff that works - stuff that isn't crackers, probably.  :)  Especially since you've had such a hard road since your WLS, maybe stick to yogurt and cheese and shakes for a while longer?

I would take laughing cow cheese and roll it up in lunch meat at your stage. The cheese is soft and makes the meat more tolerable. I had problems with food feeling like it was stuck. I still don't eat meat that is dry for this reason.

Everyone has already added so many good ideas. I think not pushing too fast and finding substitutes for crackers, like Whisps or Quest chips, are pretty solid, along with all the suggestions for easy mushies. I lived on ricotta bake and Greek yogurt for a while. 

I hope you're feeling better soon! 

I do hope that you are able to figure something out soon, Bugzzzy. I have no ideas at all for you though.

Another thumbs up for Ricotta & Cottage cheese. I also eat a metric ton of Greek Yogurt.

I'm another Greek Yogurt fan - you'll always find several containers in my fridge.  I like it plain but there are loads of things you can add to it it to switch the flavour from savoury to sweet.  Right now, I'm on a Hidden Valley Spicy Ranch Dip binge .... again!

Tyvm my friends, I am making up a grocery list now. :D Lots of wonderful suggestions, and it is great to know that others had similar problems along their road to recovery. I will let you guys know in a day or two what worked best from the suggestions given. Merci! :)

I mixed unflavored protein powder into sugar free pudding for 'breakfast' every day for nearly a month. It got something in my stomach (I found mornings the hardest with queasiness) and jumpstarted my protein for the day.

I also kept deli meat in the fridge, as it was super easy to measure out a half ounce and slowly eat it, and I found it more satisfying than purees. That and chicken salad were my main "meals" for what seemed like forever at the time! Upside, one can of chicken for salad goes a really long way :D 

On 07/02/2018 at 1:57 PM, delilas said:

I mixed unflavored protein powder into sugar free pudding for 'breakfast' every day for nearly a month. It got something in my stomach (I found mornings the hardest with queasiness) and jumpstarted my protein for the day.

I also kept deli meat in the fridge, as it was super easy to measure out a half ounce and slowly eat it, and I found it more satisfying than purees. That and chicken salad were my main "meals" for what seemed like forever at the time! Upside, one can of chicken for salad goes a really long way :D 

Thanks for the ideas! I especially love the pudding one, going to give it a try tomorrow :D

I mixed chocolate protein powder with milk, then used that to make chocolate sugar free pudding. Then add 2 TBSP Sugar free cool whip. It gives a different texture than regular pudding and hides the protein powder taste. I still have it sometimes.

Edited by AustinJ

On 08/02/2018 at 11:35 PM, AustinJ said:

I mixed chocolate protein powder with milk, then used that to make chocolate sugar free pudding. Then add 2 TBSP Sugar free cool whip. It gives a different texture than regular pudding and hides the protein powder taste. I still have it sometimes.

For the record, tried this yesterday and lovvved it. Thanks for the tip! Forgot how much I looove cool whip.  XD