Rob_VSG

Scheduling a VSG soon

Greetings and salutations,

I have been reading the posts on this site and decided to join in.  My name is Rob and I'm Dallas, Texas.  I'm in month 5 of 6 supervised diet (required by Anthem BCBS) and hope to be scheduling my VSG for some time in March.  I'm both excited and terrified at the prospect.  I have managed to live 57 years without ever having a surgeon cut me open so surgery will be a new adventure for me.  I've done plenty of research on VSG and am using Dr. McCarty who has his own method called "Mini-Sleeve" that requires fewer incisions than typical VSG surgery.  Anybody hear have experience with Dr. McCarty?  Please share your experience.

I have read a lot of posts here that I have found very inspirational as well as informative and hope I will overcome my reticence to share personal information with folks on the Internet so I can give back.

Thank you,

Rob

Welcome Rob!  We are here to support you on your weight loss surgery journey. :)

Welcome, Rob. You and I are in just about the same place right now. This is my 6th month of required supervised diet. I will most likely have my last pre op support/ weigh in class on Tuesday. That was my plan but, I am a little under the weather right now. If I feel well enough by Tuesday, I will go. If not it will be the following Tuesday.

Next I have to complete 4 week Optifast diet. After that will be surgery so I too am looking at a March date. Like you, excited and scared at the same time. Still looking forward to feeling so much better and being so much healthier.

Welcome, Rob! I think you'll find the results of VSG to be soooo worth it. I know I have. I've had 5 major surgeries in my life, and VSG was by far the easiest. I was up and walking laps around the hospital floor within hours. So glad you've joined us.

Welcome @Rob_VSG! I was also a little reticent about sharing my experience online, but it’s turned out to be sooooo helpful to me along the way.

I had RNY, not VSG, but there are so many successful sleevers here in TTF, you’ll find yourself in good company.

Best of luck and let us know how it’s going :) 

Hey Rob, welcome to TT :) I had my VSG DEC 12/2017 and I don't regret it one bit, even though I am one of the lucky ones to draw the short straw and end up with a few complications lol. Great job on your work so far, and it is normal to be nervous. Much like getting anxiety before the 'big game', I consider this journey no different. It will help you get and stay on the ball for the journey ahead. Keep in touch, if you would like. And I wish you the best on your road to a healthy new life. 

Welcome to Thinner Times Rob.

Welcome @Rob_VSG!  I am also in the Dallas area.  I have heard of the mini-sleeve, as a friend of a co-worker had it done.  My BCBXTX insurance is in the Baylor system, so I had my sleeve done at Baylor Dallas with Dr. Davis.  It is normal to feel nervous.  I can tell you I have no regrets whatsoever, I just wish I had had the surgery sooner :) 

As far as incisions, even the non-mini sleeve only requires 5-6 incisions, and I have to say at 7 months post-OP, the scarring is minimal. 

Thinner Times is a safe place with good people.  Glad you found us.  Any questions...just ask away!

Welcome, @Rob_VSG, it took me a bit to posts info but it was so much easier to learn and get down to doing the necessary work and research once I committed to being a real person on here rather than a lurker :)

I had a VSG (not a mini...never heard of a mini) but still my incisions were minimal anyway.  I am so glad I had it (Nov 2017).  Good luck finishing up your diet and getting scheduled.  Once I finished my requirements, it went at break neck speed! :D

I appreciate the warm welcome(s) and encouragement from everyone here.  After tomorrow the Doctor's office will send all the required paper work into the insurance company and a couple weeks after that (with approval) they should be ready to schedule me.  I have my fingers crossed for a March 1 or March 8 date.  The sooner it happens the less time I have to be thinking about it.

I’m also hoping to schedule my surgery in March but mine will be the end of March. I’ll be having gastric bypass. I’m so excited but know I’ll get nervous when it gets closer. Everyone on this forum has been so very helpful with advice and tips. Keep us updated on your progress toward a new improved you! :D