Heather27nyf

New, 3 days post op and nervous

Hi. I'm Heather.  I'm a 38 year old mom to one.  I just had the roux en y January 31. I was discharged on February 1. I think maybe a little too early,  as I unfortunately needed to visit a dehydration clinic yesterday.  I definitely feel better today. I am curious if what I feel is normal.  Hot and cold spells? Dizziness? A gurgling belly?  Thank you in advance

Get used to the gurgling belly....that is definitely normal....and your new life. The hot and cold spells are probably just hormonal changes and should settle. If not then talk to your surgeon about them. Also keep an eye out for signs of wound infection. Dizziness was something I definitely experienced for the first few weeks. I even get it now when my sugar levels go out of whack.

Congratulations on your surgery. Life does settle eventually, but it does take a few weeks before your body really adjusts to what's happened.

Welcomed and congrats, @Heather27nyf

Gurgles are totally normal - make peace with them :) 

As for dizziness, I had a fair amount of that in the beginning, but it tapered off after the first few months. I still get lightheaded when I stand up sometimes, but nothing worse. It might be from the drastically reduced caloric intake, or blood sugar stuff, or dehydration, or low sodium intake, or blood pressure changes - keep your surgeon posted if it’s concerning and definitely try to keep yourself hydrated as best you can (try a variety of temperatures of water if it’s bothering your pouch). 

Best of luck and keep us posted on how you’re doing. 

Edited by Jen581791
Autocorrect is making up new words

I had the gurgling stomach, and still have it if I eat the wrong thing.  Some people develop lactose intolerance after gastric bypass, so you could look into that if the gurgliness is just too much. 

About two weeks after my RNY I had some lightheadedness and fatigue that was bad enough that I went to see my GP and get some blood tests done to see how my sugar/sodium/vitamins were.  Everything was fine.  After about a week, that passed.  Depending on what your diet was like immediately before surgery, you may be experiencing something known as "keto flu", which sometimes happens when people suddenly drop most of the carbs from their diet.  Adding in a little more sodium can help with this - like drinking some chicken broth, that sort of thing.  (If you're on a doctor recommended low-sodium diet, check with them first!)

editing to add - you can also just suffer through it, keto flu usually passes in a few days whether you add in more sodium or not.  :) 

Edited by Kio

1 hour ago, Kio said:

Some people develop lactose intolerance after gastric bypass

Totally good point. It took me about 2-3 weeks to figure this out, I think, and things got a lot better when I switched to Fairlife for a few months. There are gurgles, and then there are ***GURGLES***

Welcome to the forum! Are you in NY? Your screen name made me curious.  Gurgling...yes...it happens. 2-1/2 years on and I can hear my food moving through my system. Lightheaded sometimes if I stand too quick, like @Jen581791said. I think it has to do with the reduced sugar and calorie intake.  Keep your surgeon posted and go to him with any concerns. We are always here to help! Best of luck to you!

Hi, yes I'm in New York. What  about sweating, I woke up during the night covered in sweat! Yuck! Not sure if that's normal or anesthesia and things passing out of my system possibly. Thank you so much for the help!! 

I honestly do not think I have sweat a single drop in the past 2 years, but that's me. I am ALWAYS cold. I even went to the doctor about it early on and was told I am fine, nothing to worry about. Right after surgery, though, I really do not recall.

I posted this on your other thread Heather:  https://www.livestrong.com/article/487499-im-on-a-low-carb-no-sugar-diet-can-this-cause-night-sweats-being-really-sleepy/

You may sweat more on a low-carbohydrate diet for more than one reason. As your glycogen, or sugar levels deplete, you lose your ability to store water. Each gram of stored glycogen retains 4 g of water. As you must consume as much or more water while dieting than you did before you started your diet, you are going to expel water quickly, and some of this may be via sweating. At night, you may still have ketones to burn, and burning this form of energy can raise your temperature slightly in a rested state. This may also cause a slight increase in sweating at night.