Sign in to follow this  
Nana Trish

5 day pouch test questions

Ok guys...I’ve been back on track for a couple of weeks, and I think it’s time to try the pouch test to get things moving again. I read through the link that @Res Ipsa posted in a thread on post op gastric bypass, and just have a couple of questions. 

I understand that it is all liquids for the first two days. The info says that if I need more than 3 protein drinks (or other liquid meals), it’s ok to have more. Do I stop drinking water before and after these liquid meals, or just keep drinking as usual? I know the same concerns don’t apply with liquids as solid foods, but I didn’t know if we need to let the liquid meals “sit” in the pouch...even though I know liquids don’t really sit too long. Also, am I supposed to take the full 15 minutes to drink the shakes? I only ask about this because I can now drink as much and as fast as I could prior to surgery, and if I have to take the 15 minutes, I’ll just be sure to time it :) 

Creamy soups. This is something I’ve never eaten post op. I assume that straining the soup is a must. But what kind of cream soups are the best? Is it just a matter of taste? The idea of eating a cream based soup makes me want to run screaming, lol, but I might want to try it during the liquid stage. Any thoughts on this? 

Any other suggestions or liquid meal ideas would be a huge help! Thanks in advance ❤️❤️❤️

I have never done the pouch test Trish but I was told (and I don't know that it actually matters) to wait 30 minutes after drinking a protein shake before resuming fluids.

In looking at the 5DPT recipes page, the soups for days 1 & 2 are not strained:  http://www.5daypouchtest.com/recipes/recipes.html

Days 1&2: Page 2
Ham and Cheese Soup
Low-Carb Pumpkin and Sausage Soup
Ham and Split Pea Soup

Days 1&2: Page 3
Beans and Barley Soup
Black Bean Soup
Hot and Sour Soup (that is amazing - I make it all the time in the winter).

7 minutes ago, cinwa said:

I have never done the pouch test Trish but I was told (and I don't know that it actually matters) to wait 30 minutes after drinking a protein shake before resuming fluids.

This was what I figured, but wanted to be sure. Thanks, @cinwa!

If the soups don’t need to be strained, do they need to be puréed? You know, the whole eating and liquids thing.

Thank you, thank you for the help!!!

Edited by Nana Trish

There's no mention of being pureed Trish and I guessing that they'll be more satisfying (and palatable) if they weren't because they're likely to stay in your pouch longer too.

@cinwa, Have you eaten soups post op, besides the hot and sour? (Sounds yummy btw) I was just wondering if they sit well in the pouch. It’s weird that I’m worried about this, lol. 

The only soup I’ve done is just broth

Edited by Nana Trish

I eat a lot of soups (vegetable and beans mostly) and if it's got meat in it, I cut it up pretty chunky because I have never been able to get meat down - regardless of how it's prepared so I leave that in the pot for my DH).

But I still stick to not eating and drinking at the same time so my soups are generally on the thicker side and always have beans, peas and lentils of some kind in them (a  quick blitz with a stick blender to some of it works for that).

Thanks for the info, @cinwa...as always, you’ve been a huge help!! ❤️

I'm just paying it back Trish.

23 minutes ago, cinwa said:

I'm just paying it back Trish.

:):wub::rolleyes:

Soups are my go-to when I eat out (rarely). In the winter, I eat them at home as well.

20 minutes ago, tmcgee said:

Soups are my go-to when I eat out (rarely). In the winter, I eat them at home as well.

That’s good to hear coming from you, Tom! Do you eat cream based soups? What is your favorite?

I still find soups not worth my time.  My NUT told me to either eat the solids and wait 30 minutes then the liquid portion. Or visa versa.  Unless it’s thick based like chili or stew.  I’ve been craving chili but I’m the only one in the house who will eat it and one or two meals and I’m done with it.  I ordered chili at Panera this fall and it came with garbanzo beans (gag).  

Only 5 pounds til your goal!  Yay!

Most days - especially in the winter, I eat soup for at least one meal a day but in fairness, this is the stuff you'd eat with a fork.  I guess I should probably call it stew.

1 hour ago, Cheesehead said:

I still find soups not worth my time.  My NUT told me to either eat the solids and wait 30 minutes then the liquid portion. Or visa versa.  Unless it’s thick based like chili or stew.  I’ve been craving chili but I’m the only one in the house who will eat it and one or two meals and I’m done with it.  I ordered chili at Panera this fall and it came with garbanzo beans (gag).  

Only 5 pounds til your goal!  Yay!

@Cheesehead, I wouldn't normally even think about soup...but since it's part of the 5DPT, I'm going to eat it as part of this for 2 days. It's going to be thick soups, and probably only once a day for the next 2 days. I do like chili, and for a while was making a lower carb version with white beans. It was pretty yummy. I'll have to get back to things like this after the pouch test is completed. I think I need to shock my system into losing again since this lovely stall I've started for myself doesn't want to go away. Still maintaining, but not really losing. 

I did try some broth with Unjury protein powder earlier today, and it was pretty tasty :) 

And thanks!! I'm so close to goal and very excited about it!:D

Do keep us posted on it, Trish.  I've read about the 5DPT so i am interested to see how it works....you can be our guinea pig ;)

I can't believe you are so close to your GW....this might just be what pushes you over it! (or under it i guess!)

4 minutes ago, CheeringCJ said:

Do keep us posted on it, Trish.  I've read about the 5DPT so i am interested to see how it works....you can be our guinea pig ;)

I can't believe you are so close to your GW....this might just be what pushes you over it! (or under it i guess!)

I'll definitely keep you posted, @CheeringCJ :) I'm interested to see how it works too, lol. The stall I'm in is totally self induced, so I deserve not losing weight despite being back on track for a couple of weeks. I'm ready to get this party started, though...completely renewed resolve to crush my goal and beyond. I can't believe I'm so close either! Ready to kiss the 180's goodbye!!!

Cream of Chicken Soup is delicious, which is great!  It is also delicious which... is not great.  It goes down very easily, too - which is also great and not great.  It's something I only have occasionally, because I like it a bit tooooo much. 

I wouldn't be doing this while still in the honeymoon phase. Apart from being unnecessary,  my surgeon would kick my butt from here to Christmas if he caught wind of it. You've done so well this far @Nana Trish, you don't need to do this. Sure you fell off the wagon for a bit, but your back on it. Your losses slow drastically the lower your BMI drops. The point is though that they haven't stopped, and as you well know stalls are normal. They get longer as well unfortunately. It's up to you of course if you want to put your body through this, but personally I know my body is struggling enough to fight off infections etc, that dropping more nutritional food at this stage has the potential to be disastrous. You're not gaining woman.....give yourself a break and treat your body to the dietary requirements your surgeon would want!!!.... end of lecture....sorry for being so blunt!!!

Edited by Aussie H

I did a lot of cream based soups when I was in that phase and I quite enjoyed them. I think cream of shrimp was actually my favorite. You do you and don’t look back. Best of luck getting over the hump. 

14 hours ago, Kio said:

Cream of Chicken Soup is delicious, which is great!  It is also delicious which... is not great.  It goes down very easily, too - which is also great and not great.  It's something I only have occasionally, because I like it a bit tooooo much. 

I actually had cream of chicken soup last night, and it WAS delicious. I’m allowed 1 cup portions at one sitting, which was plenty. I really liked it, but it’s not a trigger food for me so I’m good. I also had broth with protein powder in it, protein shakes, chamomile tea, and lots of water. Over a gallon, lol. I felt good when I went to bed last night, and so far today I’m doing well. Tomorrow is on to soft solids, then close to my regular diet on Tuesday. I’m already noticing a decline in cravings, which was a large part of me wanting to do this. It’s not bad at all :) 

Great job, @Nana Trish! I really appreciate all your updates on this. So glad it's reducing the cravings already.

13 hours ago, Aussie H said:

I wouldn't be doing this while still in the honeymoon phase. Apart from being unnecessary,  my surgeon would kick my butt from here to Christmas if he caught wind of it. You've done so well this far @Nana Trish, you don't need to do this. Sure you fell off the wagon for a bit, but your back on it. Your losses slow drastically the lower your BMI drops. The point is though that they haven't stopped, and as you well know stalls are normal. They get longer as well unfortunately. It's up to you of course if you want to put your body through this, but personally I know my body is struggling enough to fight off infections etc, that dropping more nutritional food at this stage has the potential to be disastrous. You're not gaining woman.....give yourself a break and treat your body to the dietary requirements your surgeon would want!!!.... end of lecture....sorry for being so blunt!!!

Thank you so much for worrying about me, @Aussie H. I’ll be fine, I promise. It’s only 2 days of liquids, and I got 90g if protein yesterday. Tomorrow I get to go back to soft solids like eggs, fish, tuna, yogurt, cottage cheese. Two days of liquids certainly won’t kill me and after the abuse I heaped on my pouch, it really needs the rest. No worries about being blunt :) I’m always open to hearing peoples thoughts and opinions, especially if it’s coming from a place of concern.

And my honeymoon period...I’ll be lucky if I didn’t kill it during my hiatus from my plan. I hope not, but I wouldn’t be surprised. 

Edited by Nana Trish

3 minutes ago, Gretta said:

Great job, @Nana Trish! I really appreciate all your updates on this. So glad it's reducing the cravings already.

Thanks, @Gretta :) I’m pretty surprised that the cravings are reduced so much after only one day. Maybe it’s the placebo effect, or maybe it’s actually the liquids, lol.  Either way, I’ll take it!

Great news that the 5-DPT is doing its job Trish.

12 hours ago, Chefman77 said:

I did a lot of cream based soups when I was in that phase and I quite enjoyed them. I think cream of shrimp was actually my favorite. You do you and don’t look back. Best of luck getting over the hump. 

I haven’t done anything but broth post op up until yesterday. I enjoyed some cream of chicken soup very much. I didn’t know they made cream of shrimp. Does it taste anything like a seafood chowder? I won’t be doing any soups after today, but I may try that sometime in the future. 

I’m doing me, lol...day 1 of liquids went well, and so far today it’s going well too. Soft solids tomorrow :)