On 4/5/2018 at 9:03 PM, kayak19 said:

Hi @Kim M - I just reread this thread altogether; you've been through a lot these past months.

I had a bypass and so far, no issues or complications.  My friend who had a sleeve just before me had a pretty tough time the first couple weeks, unable to keep food down.  She now has issues with reflux and her stomach makes noise all the time.  I have not experienced any of these things.  The sleeve was not an option for me because of having reflux issues before surgery, but I'm pretty happy that I had the bypass over the sleeve.  My reflux is totally gone now, no meds at all for that.  I know some people worry about not being able to take ibuprofen after bypass; I was trying to not take that anymore anyways and have needed pretty much zero pain meds since my surgery.  Besides not wanting another WLS, what are your reservations about the bypass, if you don't mind me asking?

To be honest I do.  I was always frightened of the rerouting of the intestines and the possibility of a leak.  I have an excellent surgeon who had stopped doing bypass as he felt there were better options without the long term complications.    He said he does about 10 sleeve to bypass revisions a year due to GERD.  I think when I meet with the nutritionist and am able to be assured that I can eat real food I will feel better too.  I don't do shakes and any artificial  anything.  I know I will need to get my protein in so this scares me.  I also will have to be more vigilant about my vitamins.  I did start to slack and my last labs were not good.  No Vitamin C, low A and low potassium.  I already stopped talking Advil, because I used to take so much of it for my knees and back I have mild to moderate kidney damage.  

Thanks for your support.  Anything positive you can tell me about bypass surgery would be welcome.

1 hour ago, Kim M said:

Thanks for the kick in the @*#.  I know I need the surgery.  I feel like a cry baby.  Only thought I would have to do WLS once.  I am terrified of getting the bypass.  I know wmillions of people do well without any complications.  I am just scared.  I will do my research on what to expect and I have to schedule an appointment with the nutritionist.  

Right now I am back to work full time after being out for 4 months from bilateral knee replacement.  I was back to work for 1 day and got sick and ended up in the hospital with sepsis from an infection.  This was unrelated to my knee surgery.  I have an elderly father, 99, who is in failing health and still living at home.  My sister and I have been caring for him as he won't let anyone else in the house.  

I will probably get to the surgery in June.  We have 2 grandkids graduating college and one graduating high school.  The youngest one,7, is in her first dance recital.  I don't want to miss the good stuff. 

Glad you are doing so well.  I so appreciate the support.

Ah, Kim, then you are an Adult and have been around the block! A lot on your plate. Never any fun facing into things that have to be done but which are scary, painful, or unpleasant. You must be feeling unlucky these days what with the need for the knee surgeries and the recent infection, but you know the odds are really way in your favor with a revision. "Knowing" and "feeling" are of course not the same things... and fear is not very amenable to rational thought. Sigh. 

FWIW, I used to get bronchitis that turned into bacterial bronchitis and sometimes pneumonia a couple of times a year, which I blamed on my "asthma." This past winter was the first time I did not have it in over a decade. Another unexpected benefit of my WLS....

2 hours ago, Kim M said:

I think when I meet with the nutritionist and am able to be assured that I can eat real food I will feel better too.  I don't do shakes and any artificial  anything.  I know I will need to get my protein in so this scares me.  I also will have to be more vigilant about my vitamins.  I did start to slack and my last labs were not good.  No Vitamin C, low A and low potassium.  I already stopped talking Advil, because I used to take so much of it for my knees and back I have mild to moderate kidney damage.  

Thanks for your support.  Anything positive you can tell me about bypass surgery would be welcome.

Regarding the eating after bypass, I followed a gradual procession back to regular food like anyone else after WLS, but after getting through the stages, I've been pretty much eating real food.  I don't do artificial anything either.  I do pretty well with salads, beef, chicken, seafood, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese.  For me some exceptions include ham, for some reason, it really fills me up quickly and so do egg yolks; I do better with egg whites.  Earlier on it was sometimes hard to get all the protein in through real food.  I wanted to be done with shakes as soon as I could.  I had my own little concoction that provides about 40 gr of protein, but I wanted to be done and just eating real food.  One of the nutritionists said, if you are relying on meat for your protein, it puts a lot of pressure on those meals and sometimes you fill up unexpectedly and then what do you do?  That made sense to me, as I was experiencing that, so now I have a couple shakes a week, especially if I'm going out and unsure of what foods will be available.  I use unflavored Unjury protein powder and mix it with 2 T collagen, 2 oz unflavored kefir, 2 oz unsweetened almond milk and a t. of PB2 powder.  

When I had my surgery I also had a pretty big umbilical hernia repair at the same time.  I felt like any pain was well managed with meds, but according to the hospital staff, they felt that the pain I experienced was due more to the hernia repair than the bypass.  I just sort of felt like I'd had a really big workout for a week or two.  I felt like it was very do-able.  It doesn't sound like it's great timing for you with your work, but if you can get that piece figured out, I think you'll be able to manage the rest.

Thanks guys.  You are the best.  I need to stop reading the stories with complications and focus on all the people that have positive outcomes.  I can wait longer but I then will be forced into doing something as it will move into crisis mode.  So I am trying desperately to be proactive.  

I was looking at my schedule and if the surgeon has an opening I think it will be May 26.  I will miss one of the grandkids graduations but I can stream it.  

My surgeon said the recovery time would be about 5 days.  This will give me the memorial day weekend so I can save a day off of work.  I am not taking any time off and do accrue time off every pay period.   Kayak, do you think 5 days is a reasonable recovery time?  How long were you out of work?  I work out in the community most of the time with psychiatric clients. 

Oh the protein shakes.  I too used Unjury unfavored protein powder with unsweetened coconut milk.  I gagged my way through it.  I can do it again.  

My surgeon's office is saying I won't need to do a psychological work up as the surgery is not for weight loss.  I will call my insurance company to see what I need to do and submit for approval.  I was told by the office staff I will be approved and not to be concerned.  I am an employee of another hospital which is an affiliate. So hopefully no out of pocket expense.  

I will keep everyone updated.  I am letting go of the resistance and moving into acceptance.  

Thanks again to all.  Wishing everyone continued success with no complications. 

3 hours ago, Kim M said:

My surgeon said the recovery time would be about 5 days.  This will give me the memorial day weekend so I can save a day off of work.  I am not taking any time off and do accrue time off every pay period.   Kayak, do you think 5 days is a reasonable recovery time?  How long were you out of work?  I work out in the community most of the time with psychiatric clients. 

Oh the protein shakes.  I too used Unjury unfavored protein powder with unsweetened coconut milk.  I gagged my way through it.  I can do it again.  

I'm an educator so I'm off for most of July.  My surgery was on the 10th, which was a Monday, I was in the hospital two nights.  I was home all that week after that and then worked for a morning or two the next week.  Like I said, I think a significant amount of the pain I experienced was due to the hernia repair, so perhaps without that I may have been okay to be back at work in a sit-down job the following Monday.  People on this forum have certainly done that.  I think you might want to have a plan B just in case though.

For the shakes, if you like peanut butter, I recommend the PB2 powder.  When I add more than a rounded teaspoon, it's too much for me, but the small amount I add just sort of masks the tastes that would make me gag too.  Also, it's a pretty small shake so I can get it down in about six mouthfuls.

Sounds like you've moved into a better place with all this; glad for you and glad they could do your surgery near Memorial Day to give you the extra time.

3 hours ago, Kim M said:

My surgeon's office is saying I won't need to do a psychological work up as the surgery is not for weight loss.  

I had no hoops to jump through either for my revision. Once an endoscopy showed the necessity it was pretty much done and dusted. I just needed the normal pre-surgery bloods EKG etc. I felt a bit guilty doing such a massive queue jump, let alone delaying 5 other patients surgeries because of the time allowed for mine (and the two senior surgeons). 

Glad to hear you're coming to terms with the inevitable... It does make it easier, at least it did in my case.

I called to schedule my surgery today but was told I first need to meet with the nutritionist.  I left a message waiting to hear back.  

I watched a revision surgery from sleeve to bypass last night.  I know I watched a sleeve surgery before and was okay.  This felt very different.  What I also realized is I didn't ask enough questions when I met with my surgeon.  I am going to schedule another appointment as I need more information.  I know I have to do it, but I feel kind of in the dark about things.  

Just need to keep posting to manage some of the anxiety I am feeling. 

Please do keep posting @Kim M It will help relieve some anxiety but it also may help others if they ever need to take the same path. I try to learn everything I can because we really never know what may come up later on down the line.

2 hours ago, Kim M said:

I called to schedule my surgery today but was told I first need to meet with the nutritionist.  I left a message waiting to hear back.  

I watched a revision surgery from sleeve to bypass last night.  I know I watched a sleeve surgery before and was okay.  This felt very different.  What I also realized is I didn't ask enough questions when I met with my surgeon.  I am going to schedule another appointment as I need more information.  I know I have to do it, but I feel kind of in the dark about things.  

Just need to keep posting to manage some of the anxiety I am feeling. 

Kim, we may be different kinds of people, but when I'm in the situation you are in, I keep a running list of anxieties and questions written down. The act of writing forces me to think more about things, and I end up feeling more confident that I asked everything I need to ask. 

We're with you...

21 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Kim, we may be different kinds of people, but when I'm in the situation you are in, I keep a running list of anxieties and questions written down. The act of writing forces me to think more about things, and I end up feeling more confident that I asked everything I need to ask. 

We're with you...

Wait!!! That's what my partner said.  LOL  Good idea.  I heard back from the nutritionist and I have an appointment on Tuesday.  After I see her, I can schedule the surgery.  As I mentioned, I also want to see him again.  I'm on my way.  

Edited by Kim M

1 minute ago, Kim M said:

Wait!!! That's what my partner said.  LOL  Good idea.  I heard back from the nutritionist and I have an appointment on Tuesday.  After I see her, I can schedule the surgery.  As I mentioned, I also want to see him again.  I'm on my way.  

Kim I am just curious to know if you have had any or much regain?

22 hours ago, tracyringo said:

Kim I am just curious to know if you have had any or much regain?

High weight- 310

Surgery weight-266

Were I landed after 15 months-132 and maintained for the most part until 41/2 years out.  This is when the regain started and I let it continue. 

Regained overtime until Oct 2017  ( yes there is some give in the sleeve but my weight was all emotional eating) 

Current weight- 165

I feel more comfortable at a lower weight.  Honestly I don't know at this point if I can maintain 132.  I would be happy at about 140-145.  I have extra skin that probably accounts for at lest 10 pounds. No plan to have it removed so I live with that.   I discussed with the surgeon if he thought the regain contributed to the more severe symptoms of GERD.  He said it could as this is a pressure surgery.  I am not going to waste my time judging myself.  I take responsibility for the regain and know why. Each day I try very hard to give my body what it needs and to eat only when I have physical hunger.  

14 minutes ago, Kim M said:

High weight- 310

Surgery weight-266

Were I landed after 15 months-132 and maintained for the most part until 41/2 years out.  This is when the regain started and I let it continue. 

Regained overtime until Oct 2017  ( yes there is some give in the sleeve but my weight was all emotional eating) 

Current weight- 165

I feel more comfortable at a lower weight.  Honestly I don't know at this point if I can maintain 132.  I would be happy at about 140-145.  I have extra skin that probably accounts for at lest 10 pounds. No plan to have it removed so I live with that.   I discussed with the surgeon if he thought the regain contributed to the more severe symptoms of GERD.  He said it could as this is a pressure surgery.  I am not going to waste my time judging myself.  I take responsibility for the regain and know why. Each day I try very hard to give my body what it needs and to eat only when I have physical hunger.  

You have done so well !!  I would love to weigh 165... So you will be able to afford to lose a little weight now and you wont have GERD anymore !! Its probably a good thing you don't weigh 132 anymore.

I have had to postpone my revision surgery.  I was suppose to have it May 31.  I am really not bummed out about it as I really don't want it anyway.  I keep hoping that this will resolve itself.  (wishful thinking)

I continue taking 2 PPI, so 4 pills a day.  Some days are better than others.  I am eating a very bland diet and this will have to due for now.  

Unfortunately, my 99 year old father is in failing health.  After working all week, I am with him on the weekends.  My sister does the week days as she does not work. We just got someone in to help and so there is some peace of mind knowing someone is there all the time.  I am very conflicted about this and cried a lot about it today.  

I also found out last week that I cannot go out on FMLA as I already used my 12 weeks for my knee replacement surgery.  This would leave my job unprotected.  We have merged with a larger hospital and there have been many changes.  I just can't take the chance at this time.  

I thank everyone for the support I have been given.  I will continue to stay connected.  

Love to all. 

You're in a tough place, not having the FMLA days and having a parent who needs care.  I was a little worried for you with not having many days to take off to recuperate from surgery.  Maybe it will be better in the long run to wait a bit.  Hang in there - keep yourself on the list of people you take care of.  :rolleyes:

On 5/13/2018 at 9:23 PM, kayak19 said:

You're in a tough place, not having the FMLA days and having a parent who needs care.  I was a little worried for you with not having many days to take off to recuperate from surgery.  Maybe it will be better in the long run to wait a bit.  Hang in there - keep yourself on the list of people you take care of.  :rolleyes:

Thanks so much for the support.  Keeping myself on the list of people to take care...what a concept.  Thank you for the reminder. 

@Kim M how are you ? I see your surgery date is in 5 days.  Let us know how it goes.  Good luck .

@Kim M how are you doing, have you had your revision yet?

7 hours ago, tracyringo said:

@Kim M how are you doing, have you had your revision yet?

I had to postpone it for now.  I can't get FMLA time and my Dad is very ill.  Some days are better than others with the GERD.  Today not so good.  I think all the stress does not help either.  Thanks for thinking of me.  Hope you are doing well.  

I just looked at my stats and realized my surgery date has come and gone.  I guess after 6 years other things just take priority. 

9 hours ago, Kim M said:

I had to postpone it for now.  I can't get FMLA time and my Dad is very ill.  Some days are better than others with the GERD.  Today not so good.  I think all the stress does not help either.  Thanks for thinking of me.  Hope you are doing well.  

I just looked at my stats and realized my surgery date has come and gone.  I guess after 6 years other things just take priority. 

Sorry you haven't been able  to get the time off to have it done. Hopefully you will be able to soon.  Happy 6 year surgerversary.

On 6/12/2018 at 7:48 AM, tracyringo said:

Sorry you haven't been able  to get the time off to have it done. Hopefully you will be able to soon.  Happy 6 year surgerversary.

First time I have been online in quite sometime.  Thanks.  

Awe, (((Kim))), I am so sorry to know that you have had to postpone and prolong your suffering. I do hope that your dad recovers quickly from his illness as well.

On 7/2/2018 at 9:05 PM, Readytobeme said:

Awe, (((Kim))), I am so sorry to know that you have had to postpone and prolong your suffering. I do hope that your dad recovers quickly from his illness as well.

Been a very hard time for my family.  My Dad passed away last Saturday.  It was difficult and there was literally no time to do anything but care for him.  He was 99 and was a fortunate man blessed with family that loved him.  

I went back to work today despite not feelings ready.  I need to accrue time so I can take time off for my surgery.  I won't qualify for FMLA until October.  I am coping the best I can with the GERD.  On way to many PPi meds and am very limited to the foods I can eat.  

I need to refocus now on taking care of myself.  I am going to a workshop next week, that I had signed up for months ago, which focuses on gentle movement and breathe work to get out of my head and into my body.  

Hope all are doing well.  As always, thanks for your support. 

Very sorry to hear about your dad. It does sound as though you are heading in the right direction now.

15 hours ago, Kim M said:

Been a very hard time for my family.  My Dad passed away last Saturday.  It was difficult and there was literally no time to do anything but care for him.  He was 99 and was a fortunate man blessed with family that loved him.  

I went back to work today despite not feelings ready.  I need to accrue time so I can take time off for my surgery.  I won't qualify for FMLA until October.  I am coping the best I can with the GERD.  On way to many PPi meds and am very limited to the foods I can eat.  

I need to refocus now on taking care of myself.  I am going to a workshop next week, that I had signed up for months ago, which focuses on gentle movement and breathe work to get out of my head and into my body.  

Hope all are doing well.  As always, thanks for your support. 

Oh my, you have had more than your share to deal with! 

Wow, 99, that is truly amazing!  I pray that in time the pain of loss grows softer and thoughts/memories of your father bring smiles and joy.

You're right, it is now time to slow down and refocus on you.  You deserve to be healthy and while it may not happen overnight, you have a plan in place to make it happen.  You have been through difficult times before and you can do this next few months like the rock star you are!