TammyP

My Fitness Pal

Recommended Posts

Do you all buy the premium version of My Fitness Pal?  I hate to sound ignorant, but the free version I have is anything but user friendly.  I'd like to try tracking calories, but this free version is making me crazy. :angry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't - I just use the free web version.  Occasionally I use the app if I'm out and afraid I'll forget something, but I agree it's not the most user friendly...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahhh yes - I have only tried the app!  I will look for the web version thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TammyP said:

Do you all buy the premium version of My Fitness Pal?  I hate to sound ignorant, but the free version I have is anything but user friendly.  I'd like to try tracking calories, but this free version is making me crazy. :angry:

I use MFP like crazy. Is there anything specific you're annoyed by, or is it just the general experience? I use both the app and the web version - they each have their +s and -s. One tip that I think @Michael_A pointed me to was that in the app, if you turn your phone sideways (landscape), you can see all the macros. It drove me nuts for a long time that I couldn't see that in the app... turns out, it was operator error! :lol:

In the app, your recents and frequents pop up more easily, as well as the things you usually eat together - when I put in my Syntrax each morning, it pops up the milk and strawberries I usually have with it, so I just need to poke the circle next to them instead of typing them in. The daily macro charts are easier to access on the app, too. 

The web version is easier to put recipes into. It's also easier to see all of your day's info at the same time. 

I don't think you get much extra by paying. I checked it out once and thought meh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been using the app on and off for years! I use it every day now...and it gets easier once you learn it.  I have my "recipes" and "meals" in there and it is super easy to check off what you are eating.  I keep track of my water intake w/ that too.  So I do use it all of the time and really love it.  I only have the free version, I don't pay for anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a slave to MyFitnessPal free version - app only, no web.  I use it for intake and weight tracking only although I know there are other options.  When tracking intake, I set a calorie goal and macros to give me protein, carbs and fats but don't tend to look at the other nutrients it tracks.  I've been happy with it and haven't felt the need for any additional features to justify paying for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually use a different free tracking app called Baritastic. I prefer it because it puts the tracking of protein, carbs, and water front and center while also allowing you to track calories, exercise, etc. I can also track my supplements. MFP is great and I've used it for years, but for my post-op purposes, Baritastic has been a better fit for me. You may want to check it out too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use MFP on the web and through the app on my iPad (much bigger screen, shows more content) - I would definitely try the web version if you find the phone-sized app annoying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone for your input.  I am liking the web version.  It might be this getting older thing...even though I have the iPhone Plus... :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TammyP said:

Thanks everyone for your input.  I am liking the web version.  It might be this getting older thing...even though I have the iPhone Plus... :)

I was starting to think it was only me lol I too have the Iphone 8Plus. I don't think it is the size of the screen that annoys me. I think it is finding everything that I need. My sister has been using it for months and losing weight. She is not a bariatric patient but she LOVES it. Actually thinks it is fun. HA!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Readytobeme said:

She is not a bariatric patient but she LOVES it. Actually thinks it is fun. HA!

Your sis sounds like my daughter lol.  It has been quite interesting tracking my food/exercise for the last 3 days.  My average intake is around 1000 calories/daily.  My exercise burns 300 - 400 calories daily.  I am getting a LOT of protein - close to 90g!  So I may give some thought to whether I continue with a daily Premier protein drink.  Also, the "sticker shock" is real at the amount of carbs in bananas and grapes.  I know I have been told this, but seeing it in black and white - wow.  I really don't care for berries (unless strawberries with sugar eek), but a fruit lower-carb alternative would be amazing.  And my smoked almonds addiction is real...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TammyP said:

Your sis sounds like my daughter lol.  It has been quite interesting tracking my food/exercise for the last 3 days.  My average intake is around 1000 calories/daily.  My exercise burns 300 - 400 calories daily.  I am getting a LOT of protein - close to 90g!  So I may give some thought to whether I continue with a daily Premier protein drink.  Also, the "sticker shock" is real at the amount of carbs in bananas and grapes.  I know I have been told this, but seeing it in black and white - wow.  I really don't care for berries (unless strawberries with sugar eek), but a fruit lower-carb alternative would be amazing.  And my smoked almonds addiction is real...

She is single and has a little more time on her hands I think. Or maybe just more interested in things like this app. I need to get myself interested and soon though!

I started using Spark People years ago and same thing happened. I get frustrated finding the foods that I need to add and it was just so time consuming. I know that once I get the food that I typically use in there it will be much easier. I also know that this is mandatory if I am to be successful at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Readytobeme said:

 

I started using Spark People years ago and same thing happened. I get frustrated finding the foods that I need to add and it was just so time consuming. I know that once I get the food that I typically use in there it will be much easier. I also know that this is mandatory if I am to be successful at all.

It really isn't mandatory at all. I don't track anything. I did in my past weightloss attempts and this time decided I wasn't going to. I roughly watch for my necessary protien each day and that I'm getting adequate fluids. Other than that....zero tracking of calories, fats, carbs etc. I refuse to be a tracking nazi and take all the joy out of my life ever again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Aussie H said:

It really isn't mandatory at all. I don't track anything. I did in my past weightloss attempts and this time decided I wasn't going to. I roughly watch for my necessary protien each day and that I'm getting adequate fluids. Other than that....zero tracking of calories, fats, carbs etc. I refuse to be a tracking nazi and take all the joy out of my life ever again.

Great! Thanks for sharing that. Maybe I will be able to get by without tracking. That part has been stressing me out a bit. Only because I know that I won't keep up with it. I will probably start out tracking and see how it goes from there. At least until I get to the point that I am familiar with portions and eyeballing them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Aussie H said:

It really isn't mandatory at all. I don't track anything.

I agree with Aussie.  I am 7.5 months out, and I was not a calorie watcher.  I had just watched my protein/fluids until this week.  I guess you could say I was in a mini-stall, so I really wanted to look at the data/numbers.  I will say the numbers did stick in my mind though, especially in the evening when I am prone to snack on more almonds that I don't need.  LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to track, or I dont meet goals. I was using LoseIt, and I like the interface of it more, but it was lacking in a lot of ways. Its much harder to add recipes and stuff to, which is a necessity for me. So I'm back to MFP :D I have the app on my phone mostly to quick add when Im out and about, but I use the browser interface the most. I love that its easy to make things a "meal" - or like Jen says, it remembers what you tend to eat together, and there are tabs for "frequent" items - so it makes it a lot easier to add my protein shake each day, or the yogurt and pom arils I eat regularly.

I do have the paid version, but I used it for years on the free version and never had problems. It just takes a little getting used to :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, delilas said:

I have to track, or I dont meet goals. I was using LoseIt, and I like the interface of it more, but it was lacking in a lot of ways. Its much harder to add recipes and stuff to, which is a necessity for me. So I'm back to MFP :D I have the app on my phone mostly to quick add when Im out and about, but I use the browser interface the most. I love that its easy to make things a "meal" - or like Jen says, it remembers what you tend to eat together, and there are tabs for "frequent" items - so it makes it a lot easier to add my protein shake each day, or the yogurt and pom arils I eat regularly.

I do have the paid version, but I used it for years on the free version and never had problems. It just takes a little getting used to :D 

Something in the back of my brain keeps telling me that I will easily not meet goals or eat too many calories if I do not track as well. I have MFP on my phone and feel that it will get much easier as I start tracking since common to me foods will be easy to find. I am thinking that I will end up as a life long tracker in order for me to be successful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My biggest problem with using it (and I did in past weightloss attempts) is that I make everything from scratch, and it's never the same as last time I made it. I would be forever having to put in new recipes....and I would also have to weigh and measure every ingredient that I used everytime I cooked something. It's just not for me to live my life always tied to a tracker. If I started to regain....or started having less than stellar blood test results.....then I'd likely try it again for a while. For now though that isn't the case, so I won't be tracking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I fall in the middle. I track if I’m in a stall, or if I think I haven’t been hitting goals lately. But most days I just keep,rough track of protein and a closer count of h20. My concern is never really too many calories, but too few. Days I don’t plan out ahead of time, or days I let get away from me, I rarely eat enough. Like yesterday I had like, half a one egg omelette in the morning because Leah made it for me....and one skewer of chicken satay around 6pm. I tried to drink a protein shake but it tasted a bit off so I didn’t finish it. Not a great eating day for me. 

I’m 6 months out in 3 days and still don’t really get physical hunger. Most days my love of food keeps my calories in the 800-1000 range, but if I get busy or distracted I put things off until it’s too late. Too many days like that in a row and I fire up the tracker. It helps me get back to protein basics!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now