Texas_Girl

Hey y’all - New to forum

Just a quick note to say “howdy!” I had the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass in mid-November. I lost 55 pounds rapidly before my surgery and have lost 35 pounds since. It’s a little slow going now, but I know that slow and steady wins the race. I have a couple of questions for the group. How much should I expect to lose every month? Is it normal to have post-surgery regrets?

Edited by Texas_Girl

6 minutes ago, Texas_Girl said:

How much I should expect to lose every month? Is it normal to have post-surgery regrets?

While I've had zero regrets, many people do....so yes post-surgical regret is normal.

As for how much you should expect to lose....this varies greatly depending on many variables such as how much excess weight you are carrying, your individual metabolism, and of course your diet and exercise routine. According to what I was told there is an expectation that after RNY patients should lose 70% of their excess weight by 18 months and half of that should be gone within the first 6 months when weightloss is highest. It does slow down the further out from surgery you get, and the closer to goal you get.  if you want exact figures then it's probably best to speak to your medical team at the bariatric clinic. Even then you'll likely just get targets to aim for at best. They aren't with you 24/7 so can't be specific either.....but they will have targets for their success statistics. These are just averages though and there is no reason why you couldn't exceed them. Mind you, they are also averages, so for everyone that exceeds them there will be others that fall short of those targets as well.

38 minutes ago, Aussie H said:

While I've had zero regrets, many people do....so yes post-surgical regret is normal.

As for how much you should expect to lose....this varies greatly depending on many variables such as how much excess weight you are carrying, your individual metabolism, and of course your diet and exercise routine. According to what I was told there is an expectation that after RNY patients should lose 70% of their excess weight by 18 months and half of that should be gone within the first 6 months when weightloss is highest. It does slow down the further out from surgery you get, and the closer to goal you get.  if you want exact figures then it's probably best to speak to your medical team at the bariatric clinic. Even then you'll likely just get targets to aim for at best. They aren't with you 24/7 so can't be specific either.....but they will have targets for their success statistics. These are just averages though and there is no reason why you couldn't exceed them. Mind you, they are also averages, so for everyone that exceeds them there will be others that fall short of those targets as well.

As usual, I totally agree with @Aussie H:)

Welcome to TTF from someone with zero regrets for having a gastric bypass.  It allowed me to become thin, healthy and much more active.  

No regrets here.  Just wish I’d have done it sooner!  I lost all my weight in the first 9 months.  It depends on so many things but above all else stay on your plan!  

2 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

As usual, I totally agree with @Aussie H:)

Welcome to TTF from someone with zero regrets for having a gastric bypass.  It allowed me to become thin, healthy and much more active.  

I'm only in month 5 but so far, zero regrets as well!  I feel so much better, like I've come back to life.  The compliments don't hurt much, either.  ;) 

Welcome!

I had a few “What have I done to myself?!?” moments in the weeks after surgery, but no regrets. A few regrets seem to be fairly common, though. Those will go away when you see some real progress. I am thankful for my decision to do surgery every day. 

You’ll see my monthly losses in my signature line if you are on a computer (as opposed to a phone), but everyone’s journey is different. Your trajectory will depend on so many factors it’s impossible to predict. To give yourself the best chance of getting to where you want to be, follow your surgeon’s guidelines on intake and exercise and be really diligent. Your honeymoon is the easiest time to lose, so take advantage of it :) 

At two months out, you should be starting to get the hang of it, but there are a lot of changes to wrap your head around during the first year! You’ve already lost 90 pounds, which is a really life changing amount! Congrats on that.

Best of luck on your continuing success.

Well done on your weight loss!!!wow  .

Not sure about buyers remorse as pre op but would see that as normal from a psychological view ;  like getting married ,having kids we all may  have a 'what have I done' moment !!! Usually in the wee small hrs xxxx

Try not to over think it my lovely this is going to be an amazing journey and we all have your back :wub:

Welcome to TT! There’s already some great thoughts in the posts above that I wholeheartedly agree with. There’s such a variety of experiences in our weight loss, there isn’t really an average rate of loss. I think regrets are normal, particularly in the early stages after surgery, but I’d wager that the vast majority of us feel like, ultimately, WLS was one of the best decisions we’ve ever made. Some people wish they would’ve done it sooner, but personally, I did mine at the perfect time in my life. My kids were old enough that I could focus more on myself, but young enough that I don’t feel like I really missed out on anything experience-wise. But back to you, I’m guessing you’re still trying to find your new normal, you’re losing steadily enough (even if it feels like it’s slow going) that all the hormones that were stored up in your fat are being released into your system, and your body is beginning to change (and possibly people are beginning to notice & make comments?). Your body and life are in such a massive state of transition that a range of emotions is totally normal and regret could totally be one of them. All this to say, hang in there. Come to these forums for support (there’s so many wonderful, welcoming, kind people on here) and just keep moving forward. It will get better and the weight will come off if you stick with your program. Hope to see you around here more! :)

Edited by athenarose

Welcome to Thinner Times Texas_Girl!

Welcome to the site! Zero regrets here, but some people have them. Surgery allowed me to live again and become a very healthy person. My only regret is not doing it sooner. Best of luck to you.

On 1/27/2018 at 10:16 PM, Kio said:

I'm only in month 5 but so far, zero regrets as well!  I feel so much better, like I've come back to life.  The compliments don't hurt much, either.  ;) 

That is exactly what I can’t wait to feel! Like I’ve come back to life and have energy again. My GB will hopefully be the end of March. Can’t wait!

13 hours ago, Animalrescuer18 said:

That is exactly what I can’t wait to feel! Like I’ve come back to life and have energy again. My GB will hopefully be the end of March. Can’t wait!

One thing I have to say - I do totally have energy again!  But I was also under the impression that after surgery, as I lost weight, I would sort of suddenly become not-a-couch-potato.  ;)  Unfortunately, while the surgery and weight loss have given me a ton of energy and the ability to do more than I ever thought would be possible again... they did not magically change my personality. 

Alas, I am still lazy; it's my nature.  But the difference is - now when I am trying to convince myself that I need to get up and go for a walk or do some other exercise, I have FAR fewer excuses not to!  For instance, I can't tell myself it will hurt; I can't tell myself I might fall and sprain/break something; I can't tell myself I'll be exhausted for the rest of the day.  None of those things are true anymore!  I can head out for a walk and come back pleasantly tired out, but not stiff and sore, not exhausted, not incapable of say, cleaning the kitchen or doing my laundry or any of those other things you have to do in life. 

And I find myself doing weird stuff like... bouncing around when I have to stand still to talk to somebody.  Fidgeting because I just want to move.  Randomly doing calf-raises or knee-bends or whatever when I'm waiting for the dog to come back inside!

It's just that I still have to have that internal conversation:  "You should really..."  "But I don't WANNA..."  :):):) 

I have long been an exercise avoider .....am thinking I will have to find something I may like but have no idea !!!

On 1/27/2018 at 7:16 PM, Texas_Girl said:

Just a quick note to say “howdy!” I had the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass in mid-November. I lost 55 pounds rapidly before my surgery and have lost 35 pounds since. It’s a little slow going now, but I know that slow and steady wins the race. I have a couple of questions for the group. How much should I expect to lose every month? Is it normal to have post-surgery regrets?

re: regrets: Nope. I suppose I 'regret' not being able to eat an entire pizza at one go or a full rack of ribs... but that was just gluttony when I did it in the past, and it led to bad health and obesity. Regretting that would be analogous to regretting that you can't smoke after successfully quitting smoking. :rolleyes: 

Pace of loss? Pretty individual, depends on intake, level of exercise and capacity for sloth, ... there is pretty good data that even modest exercise will help you to end up 2 full BMI points lower than if you  had not exercised. That is based on aggregating about a dozen studies that showed a lot of benefit to exercise; here on the Forum, there are people who exercise for more than an hour a day, and often they attain complete loss of their excess weight and have a normal BMI. 

6 minutes ago, Lankyliz said:

I have long been an exercise avoider .....am thinking I will have to find something I may like but have no idea !!!

Walking is and has been my main source of exercise since my WLS.  But because of our weather up here in the PNW and the fact that we have no made-up roads or sidewalks, I had to invest in a treadmill and I do at least 3 miles every day.  I also do some yoga and/or pilates daily but I can't say that I enjoy that too much.

Just following up on @cinwa

If you have not been in the habit of exercise before surgery then the key is anything you can keep going back to - when I travel for work, I always walk for an hour a day; at home I mix things up with swimming, cycling, recently some rowing in the gym, some weight training too, off and on again yoga... in some sense what's most important is not the exact form of exercise, but rather making it an habit. I used to fit exercise into my work day; now I try to plan out my exercise and make work fit into my exercise needs. Not always successful but it's a different orientation!

I was thinking treadmill as we are in the hills and weather can be a problem ....are they very expensive ??

2 minutes ago, Lankyliz said:

I was thinking treadmill as we are in the hills and weather can be a problem ....are they very expensive ??

You can pay as little as $90.00 at Walmart (but I would not recommend that).  Best advice I can give is to do your homework and go to a sports shop and try them out.  For walking, you'll need at least a 50" walking surface (which is what I have because I don't run).  I bought a second hand incline trainer for just over $1,000.

I have a non-folding one because I have the room but there are plenty of good folding machines available.  Big tip though, if it's folded up and out of the way, you're less inclined to bother to use it.  

18 minutes ago, Lankyliz said:

I bought this one from Amazon because at the time I needed something with a higher capacity: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NHM8TY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It's relatively inexpensive as far as treadmills go, but is really meant for walking alone. The speeds don't go high enough for it to be a running treadmill at any point in the future. 

I found it was important for me to examine my own resistance to exercise and find ways around that: what is it I didn't like? What are my personal challenges? I have a tendency to not push myself, so I find that classes are a better option for me. Someone leading the class and keeping me going from move to move keeps my boredom at bay, and forces me to keep going. Some people do better with the convenience of a home workout like a treadmill or an exercise video. There's no one right way to get in your exercise, but you do have to find YOUR "right" way, the way that keeps you motivated and engaged in it. 

I got a recumbent stationary bike for Christmas, and bikes are less pricey than a treadmill ($130).  I also just picked up a used treadmill from an officer at work.  He and his wife paid over $3K for it new (Landis L7).  His wife was training for an ironman, and she broke her ankle in 3 places (ouch!).  So she is going in another direction exercise wise - and he sold it to me for $600!  This is a good time of the year to be looking for exercise equipment, since many have already fallen off the "resolution wagon."  :(

Edited by TammyP
typo!

48 minutes ago, cinwa said:

You can pay as little as $90.00 at Walmart (but I would not recommend that).  Best advice I can give is to do your homework and go to a sports shop and try them out.  For walking, you'll need at least a 50" walking surface (which is what I have because I don't run).  I bought a second hand incline trainer for just over $1,000.

I have a non-folding one because I have the room but there are plenty of good folding machines available.  Big tip though, if it's folded up and out of the way, you're less inclined to bother to use it.  

I have room for non folding will have to save up a bit first x thanks for the advice have jotted it down x

41 minutes ago, TammyP said:

I got a recumbent stationary bike for Christmas, and bikes are less pricey than a treadmill ($130).  I also just picked up a used treadmill from an officer at work.  He and his wife paid over $3K for it new (Landis L7).  His wife was training for an ironman, and she broke her ankle in 3 places (ouch!).  So she is going in another direction exercise wise - and he sold it to me for $600!  This is a good time of the year to be looking for exercise equipment, since many have already fallen off the "resolution wagon."  :(

That is a good point will have an eBay UK look around xx

49 minutes ago, TammyP said:

I have a slightly different personal perspective on the issue of working out after weight loss surgery.

I do not exercise in any formal way as I simply do not like working out at a gym or at home on a treadmill, etc. 

Instead, I live a fairly active lifestyle - for example, I take about 5 long (50 minute) walks a week, I take the stairs rather than an elevator or escalator when going up 3 or fewer flights of stairs, I voluntarily do active things around the house (stacking firewood, taking out the trash, bringing in the grocery bags, etc.) and otherwise try to keep my body moving.  I have found this to work great for me.

2 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

I have a slightly different personal perspective on the issue of working out after weight loss surgery.

I do not exercise in any formal way as I simply do not like working out at a gym or at home on a treadmill, etc. 

Instead, I live a fairly active lifestyle - for example, I take about 5 long (50 minute) walks a week, I take the stairs rather than an elevator or escalator when going up 3 or fewer flights of stairs, I voluntarily do active things around the house (stacking firewood, taking out the trash, bringing in the grocery bags, etc.) and otherwise try to keep my body moving.  I have found this to work great for me.

that is really the way life SHOULD be lived, @Res Ipsa !  We didn't have gyms back when we were hunting/chopping wood/washing things by hand on washboards etc...and they weren't morbidly obese!  incorporating activity in our everyday life isn't as "normal" because we've gotten so many modern conveniences.  So we actually have to THINK of ways to get more movement in, but you have done wonderfully in incorporating it into your life as the new normal!

2 hours ago, Lankyliz said:

That is a good point will have an eBay UK look around xx

actually if you have something like we have (Craigslist) where you can find local people selling things and you go pick them up that is even better....because if you find one on an auction site it will have to be pick up only anyway since it is too heavy to ship in a cost effective way.  We have places on line (even facebook has local "yard sales") that you can fine something (and exercise equipment is plentiful on them bc it takes up a lot of room and when ppl want to part w/ them, they just want them GONE so they usually give you a bargain)