Elisa

Protein shakes suck

I simply can’t get em down, they are revolting.  I’ve even bought some protein water, which was worse!

im one week out from my sleeve, and today I feel weak and pathetic and it’s all down to the fact that I can’t drink the bloody shakes!

yesterday I had some chicken broth, which was nice, but I’m not getting the recommended 60-80 g of protein a day hence I feel weak.

im sick to death of sweet things too. So I’m mainly drinking water, no juice, again lack of calories meaning I feel woozy.

any advice?

Roll on purée time!

I love Unjury's chicken broth protein powder and their unflavored protein powder. Those are the only things that saved me during my first few weeks, because I can't tolerate the overly-fake-sweet protein powders or the ready-made protein drinks - even Premier, which a lot of people love. 

The unflavored is easy to mix 1/3 a scoop with sugar free pudding, or even mix it into jello as youre making it (it settles in the jello but doesnt change the taste). 

Now that I can tolerate a bit more, I mix a full scoop of the Unflavored into 1/2 cup of milk with a 1/2 cup decaf coffee, a bit of erythritol, and a bunch of ice each morning. Kinda like my own frappucino, only between the powder and the fairlife milk, it ends up at 30 grams of protein :D 

If for some reason I dont feel like my frappucino that day, I drink a nice hot cup of water with their chicken broth powder in it. I like to add Mrs. Dash to it for a little seasoning, but it does taste like normal chicken broth. 

I was just telling @ubergirl that you can use bonebroth which is broth w/ higher protein, and also if you have Fairlife milk over there it is regular milk but filtered differently and has more protein in it.  There is also unflavored protein you can add to something....I bought it but never have used it.  One thing I did that made my protein shakes more tolerable was to make ice cream out of it.  

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2008/08/protein-ice-cream.html

How much longer do you have to be on liquids?

Edited by CheeringCJ

2 weeks :(:(:(

urgh.

I found it impossible to get the full amount of protein in the first few weeks. All that matters is that you are trying to. At 1 week out, nothing tastes good. Just keep trying things and tweaking them. I found if I poured small amounts of the shake over ice and sipped on them I could get in 2 a day if I worked on it all day.

I use an unflavored protein powder made by Genepro i add it to my broth and jello. Its 30g of protein for 1 tablespoon. You can get it on Amazon or at a GNC if you have one near by. I do like premier protein but i find that the unflavored is the best way to go when i need a break from the overly sweet shakes. 

I absolutely love the unflavored Unjury Genepro that @delilas and @ktallon mentioned.  I am not a big fan of sweets so I didn't last long on the other types.  ALTHOUGH, I recently discovered a peanut protein that I'm enjoying as a change.  I put the unflavored Unjury in lots of recipes to up the protein content.  You can't add it to very hot liquids or it will curdle (so cool the soup before stirring in a scoop) but I like to boil water with a salt-free veggie bouillon cube, add a splash of vinegar and then whisk in a scrambled egg.  Once that has cooled down a bit, I add the scoop of genepro and right there it's 36g protein and easy to sip on.  Kinda like an egg drop soup.

Lately I've been using TruLemon in a bottle of water with a scoop of the unflavored protein powder and sipping on that all day (in addition to just water).  The lemon masks any whey flavors that may come through (yes, it is unflavored but there is a flavor naturally) and helps me get to 80g, no problemo.

Keep at it @Elisa!  Fatigue and hair loss (among other issues) await if you can't get those numbers up!

I, too, hate protein shakes. That early on, I had to use a 4 in 1 supplement shake in either orange cream or chocolate, which I hated but choked down anyway. After that first two weeks, I mixed unflavored protein powder (I used Celebrate 20) with Fairlife milk and - if I wanted it - either some sugar free flavored syrup or sugar free pudding mix until I could eat more protein in my food. 

Now, I REALLY try to get all my protein from food. When I think about drinking a protein shake, I literally gag. If I can't get all of it in, though, I put one scoop of the unflavored protein (10 grams) into a cup of Fairlife (13 grams) and drink that before bed. With just one scoop of protein in it, it just tastes like milk. 

Good luck! It really sucks when you're struggling with protein. :(

I had this problem, too! I switched to Fairlife milk which you may not be able to get where you live, but you could also try making your own high-protein milk by mixing powdered milk into regular low fat milk. It's in my programs nutrition guidelines, so it's a real option and not some crazy thing I made up. Ha. 

At 10 weeks out I'm down to between 1-1.5 cups of the Fairlife as my only liquid supplement. Hang in there, it gets better. 

For the first couple of weeks they realize you won’t get the recommended amounts in..do the best you can.  Greek yogurt when you reach that stage.  

Have you tried the premier protein drinks?  How about Syntrax powders?  

I hate protein shakes, except for the Premier Protein chocolate flavor shake.  That shake is rather tasty (like drinking chocolate milk) and comes pre-mixed in four packs (at Walgreens and other stores) and in larger packs (at Costco).  It has 30 grams of protein and 160 calories.  I have one almost every day as a snack or meal replacement.

It is very hard in the first few months after surgery to meet protein goals without a daily protein shake.

On 1/25/2018 at 9:18 AM, Elisa said:

2 weeks :(:(:( urgh.

fortunately it goes quickly (well it doesn't feel like it when you're in it).... for me it seems like months and months ago but it has only been 11 wks since i finished my liquid only diet!  

you only have a few more days, right?  how are you doing?

I begged to start puree  They said yes!

Thank goodness because i still can't get the shakes down. 

I'm eating about a tablespoon of food and drinking about 47oz of watered down juice and water. Its not enough and i feel weak and tired still.

I move onto soft foods on Tuesday, ive just got to keep trying to eat. Its not much fun to be honest, I'm scared im not eating enough  and when i do eat I'm scared I'll overeat.

:unsure:

Don't forget about egg whites, often you can add them to whatever your having for some extra protein without noticing. Just be sure to blend it in very well, otherwise its runny and nasty lol. You can also get the dehygerated egg whites too! I haven't tried them yet, but I plan on getting some soon because I am having lots of trouble keeping anything down lately. Hope you find something you enjoy soon that will suit your nutritional needs :)

Edited by Ladybugzzz86