meltingmagnolia

If slow and steady win the race....how do you keep the pace?

I have accepted that I'm not going to be one of those for whom the weight "falls off".  I'm at 6 weeks out and I've lost 3.5 pounds a week (on average with a week one loss of 10 pounds) since my surgery and, for the past month, hitting 2 pounds lost has been the norm.  As much as would have liked to be in the "magical few", I'm good with this as long as the scale keeps moving!  

For those of you that were slower losers, how were you able to keep it moving?  I understand the need to "stay on plan", but were there other things you focused on to keep weight loss going? I'm just now getting to work out for real, did you find it made a big difference?

I know exactly how you are feeling. I lost 3 lbs the first week and it never sped up.  Month one I lost 14 lbs and my surgery weight was 296.  I have stuck to the plan and the last 2 months I have managed to lose 10 lbs each month which is my goal now. The only thing is for me now is that I stall the first 2 to 3 weeks then I drop over 7 to 10 days its pretty weird and I get anxiety every month waiting  for the drop to start. To be quite honest I have not been working out regularly but I have heard it helps.  Good luck on your journey

Edited by tracyringo

12 minutes ago, meltingmagnolia said:

I have accepted that I'm not going to be one of those for whom the weight "falls off".  I'm at 6 weeks out and I've lost 3.5 pounds a week (on average with a week one loss of 10 pounds) since my surgery and, for the past month, hitting 2 pounds lost has been the norm.  As much as would have liked to be in the "magical few", I'm good with this as long as the scale keeps moving!  

For those of you that were slower losers, how were you able to keep it moving?  I understand the need to "stay on plan", but were there other things you focused on to keep weight loss going? I'm just now getting to work out for real, did you find it made a big difference?

It sounds to me like you're doing really well! It's hard to say in the early days whether you'll be a fast loser, a slow loser, or like most people, somewhere in between. 3.5 pounds per week is fast. 2 pounds per week is pretty normal, I think! If you keep going at 2 pounds per week, that's 100 pounds in a year (just about your GW). That's pretty quick - it'll make your head spin!

If you look at my signature line, you'll see my monthly losses, just to give you an idea of how quickly they mount up to be something pretty crazy. My losses were at an average of about 3 pounds per week for much of the time I was losing quickly. I just about have whiplash from how fast it happened - but that's a feeling I have in retrospect. At the beginning, I despaired at my slow losses. It's a matter of perspective, I guess. 

Fast or slow, it'll come off. It's hard to be patient, I know, but soon you'll be cheering your losses.

4 hours ago, meltingmagnolia said:

For me, I believe working out made a difference. I started working out a month after WLS and then, two weeks later, I had surgery on my elbow so I was back to recovering and not working out again for a few weeks. I still lost weight during that time but not as quickly. 

Here is my advice, stick to plan, exercise and most of all, trust the process. Trust that if you stick to plan you will lose weight. Easy for me to say now that I'm 4+ years out from surgery but it doesn't really matter if it takes you 6 months or 18 months to get to goal. You will get there!

I'm a slow loser, but slow losses add up! I exercise a ton. It doesn't seem to move the scale, but it makes my body look and feel good, and I fit into smaller sizes than I would if I didn't exercise. 

I am considered a fast loser, but if you really look at it as an average, I lost about 3.5 pounds a week the first year. "Don't focus on the scale" is the best advice I can give you! You got this!

Very definately don’t focus on the scale.  Each pound adds up.  Watch your carb and proteins.  And liquids.