Dr. Gupta,

Thank you for all the advice and assistance you give to the members of this forum, I have read so many of your replies and was wondering if you could chime in on my question.

A little background, I had skin removal surgery Jan 12, 2018. I was in surgery for 7-1/2 hours. Roughly 8 pounds of skin was removed. I was 485 pounds before RNYGB in June of 2015. I am currently around 160 pounds. My plastic surgeon had me home the same day of the surgery. I had my abdomen done as well as a breast reduction with nipple grafts. My question is on the drains and compression. I left the hospital with 5 drains. 2 on the left side at my waist incision, 1 at the right of the waist incision, 1 at the left breast and 1 at the right breast. I was sent home with an abdominal binder and some ace-bandages and told to keep the binder tight around my abdomen and the ace bandage tight around my chest. I was told to only take it off for a half hour at the most to help expedite drainage. Well, 10 days on and I have the chest drains removed (they were removed 7 days after the surgery). The abdominal drains are not draining much anymore and I imagine they will be removed Tuesday the 23rd at my followup visit (my 3rd followup since the surgery). I am getting some serious itching and a bit of a rash on my ribs, lower back, shoulders and my chest above the nipples. I moved to a compression vest to keep a constant compression across the abdomen and the chest. My question is this: how long should I keep the compression garments on? Is 23-1/2 hours a day really what I should be doing?

Here is a picture from about an hour ago:

10days.thumb.jpg.da256c02dc21161122bcd5f436c50e58.jpg

I shower every other day and have had no issues except the pain when they removed the left chest drain, it was excruciatingly painful and I felt I was going to pass out at one point.

Thank you for any advice you can give.

Sincerely,

Tom

Hello TP1210,

Thanks for your question but I think it would be best if you asked your plastic surgeon this question, especially so early in the postoperative period.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Sincerely,

Abhay Gupta, MD, FACS