Animalrescuer18

Eating meat without liquid

I will be having gastric bypass in 2 months. I’m trying to gather as much information as possible before my surgery. When eating meat, does it have to be puréed or can it be minced to tiny pieces? I know it needs to be chewed well but puréed meat doesn’t sound very appetizing. Lol. Also, is it extremely difficult to eat dry meat since you can’t drink while eating? I would love to hear any tips on getting all the protein in. I know shakes are helpful. Seems the protein bars have a lot of calories, sugar and carbs. Thank you all so much! I love this forum!! I have learned so much already. 

Hi and welcome to TT. I eat meat in small pieces. I can't eat dry meat. Congratulations on your upcoming surgery.

I always put sauce of some sort on my meat or meat like protein. It helps. I didn’t ever actually purée meat, but chose soft ones and chewed the heck out of them. Many purée them or at least chop them up finely for the first couple few months.

As for bars, they tend to vary a lot so you have to be careful when you’re shopping. Quest brand and Oh Yeah One Bars brand are both suitable for post-op WLS patients. They have very low carbs and sugar (mostly sugar alcohols, which give some people problems but not me) and lots of protein. I find them convenient to carry with me for emergency protein when I don’t have access to a proper meal. I eat them maybe once or twice a week. 

Welcome and best of luck!

Im 8 months post RNY and really have no problems with eating most meats without sauces, gravies etc. The only thing I really struggle with is chicken breast or reheated meat. If I eat leftover meat I'll eat it cold and thinly sliced. Everyone is different in what they can and can't eat.....I sometimes wonder if we talk ourselves out of being able to eat certain things.

I couldn't stomach the thought of puréed meat, so didn't eat meat at all until my surgeon cleared it. In my case, that was only day 13.... but my surgeon seems to be very different in that regard. Even the post-op diet given to me by his dietician didn't allow certain foods that he had only problem with me trying. I started my meat eating with minced meat in a spaghetti type sauce.

Edited by Aussie H

Hi there I'm having gb in a month so perhaps we can help each other xx:wub:

In the early stages, meat of any kind can be a bit of a hit and miss affair but finely sliced deli meats seem to go down well and a little bit of mayo can help (fat free if you wish).

Something like Oscar Mayer Rotisserie Chicken Breast has 10g protein per 2 oz, cottage cheese has around 6g protein per 1/4 cup, a cup of milk approx. 8g protein.  All will help but early out it's pretty much impossible to meet your protein requirements from food alone and shakes were (and as a non-meat eater still are) invaluable.

this is what i did/still do at times with my meat....this is chicken breast (I throw a few in the crock pot and cook...do NOT overcook) then I chop it up in my little food chopper (a must-have as far as I am concerned.  I have a kitchen ninja or use this one which is a kitchenaid....it has a chopped or puree switch.)   When I was first allowed pureed foods, I had to puree even my "refried beans" because they were too "solid" for me (I just added some water to help smooth them out)!  As I moved on, i just would chop up the chicken like this then add stuff so it wasn't dry.  (I would add refried beans/taco seasoning/salsa and top with a little plain greek yogurt (like sour cream) and shredded cheese.  OR I would add avocado and a light/healthier mayo (I use avocado oil mayo) and blend it up, OR I would add mayo and pickles and make a chicken salad.  My NUT says to always put something moist w/ the meat so it isn't dry (like a light sauce etc).  You really don't use much sauce on 2 oz of meat so she didn't even say it has to be light, i just get light ranch for dipping etc, but mostly I mixed in the moisture as described)  Here are some pic so you can see the consistency .  (BTW, this looks gross but mixed in with other things, it is actually quite delicious!)

image.jpeg.134df0d96b7797eaa721259d3b789175.jpeg

image.jpeg.c77eae51fcac8d68dd13825fdffc685c.jpeg

Edited by CheeringCJ

1 hour ago, CheeringCJ said:

this is what i did/still do at times with my meat....this is chicken breast (I throw a few in the crock pot and cook...do NOT overcook) then I chop it up in my little food chopper (a must-have as far as I am concerned.  I have a kitchen ninja or use this one which is a kitchenaid....it has a chopped or puree switch.)   When I was first allowed pureed foods, I had to puree even my "refried beans" because they were too "solid" for me (I just added some water to help smooth them out)!  As I moved on, i just would chop up the chicken like this then add stuff so it wasn't dry.  (I would add refried beans/taco seasoning/salsa and top with a little plain greek yogurt (like sour cream) and shredded cheese.  OR I would add avocado and a light/healthier mayo (I use avocado oil mayo) and blend it up, OR I would add mayo and pickles and make a chicken salad.  My NUT says to always put something moist w/ the meat so it isn't dry (like a light sauce etc).  You really don't use much sauce on 2 oz of meat so she didn't even say it has to be light, i just get light ranch for dipping etc, but mostly I mixed in the moisture as described)  Here are some pic so you can see the consistency 

I was hoping you'd post those pictures here, CJ. This is nice and fresh in your memory, so you're a big help for anyone wondering about this stage! :) 

(ignore this post, I posted double and can't seem to delete this!)

Edited by CheeringCJ

13 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

I was hoping you'd post those pictures here, CJ. This is nice and fresh in your memory, so you're a big help for anyone wondering about this stage! :) 

Yep, these are the kinds of things I need to see (I am a visual learner) to make things make sense! :)

I added water to refried beans.  And taco sauce

I wouldn’t eat puréed anything..  I did use canned chicken but didn’t like the taste.  Many people add a little fat free mayo.  My go to is salsa.  It’s low calorie and adds moisture and flavor.  When eating out I have to ask that they don’t use oil or grease to heat the meat which sometimes leaves it really dry so I ask for a side of salsa (most places have salsa) and itmoistens it just fine.  I also use a little melted cheese.  Marinara sauce is also a good add.  Greek yogurt is a good sour cream replacement.  My fast food meal- I grab a rotisserie chicken from the store and those are pretty moist.  

Theworldaccordingtoeggface.com has great beginning recipes for just pre op.  

I use the quest protein bars.  

I have to say the no drinking 30 minutes before and after eating was the hardest part.  I set the timer on my phone for the longest time and would literally grab a drink when it went off.  It was worse than kicking caffeine!

19 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

I always put sauce of some sort on my meat or meat like protein. It helps. I didn’t ever actually purée meat, but chose soft ones and chewed the heck out of them. Many purée them or at least chop them up finely for the first couple few months.

As for bars, they tend to vary a lot so you have to be careful when you’re shopping. Quest brand and Oh Yeah One Bars brand are both suitable for post-op WLS patients. They have very low carbs and sugar (mostly sugar alcohols, which give some people problems but not me) and lots of protein. I find them convenient to carry with me for emergency protein when I don’t have access to a proper meal. I eat them maybe once or twice a week. 

5 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

I wouldn’t eat puréed anything..  I did use canned chicken but didn’t like the taste.  Many people add a little fat free mayo.  My go to is salsa.  It’s low calorie and adds moisture and flavor.  When eating out I have to ask that they don’t use oil or grease to heat the meat which sometimes leaves it really dry so I ask for a side of salsa (most places have salsa) and itmoistens it just fine.  I also use a little melted cheese.  Marinara sauce is also a good add.  Greek yogurt is a good sour cream replacement.  My fast food meal- I grab a rotisserie chicken from the store and those are pretty moist.  

I have to say the no drinking 30 minutes before and after eating was the hardest part.  I set the timer on my phone for the longest time and would literally grab a drink when it went off.  It was worse than kicking caffeine!

19 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Great advice and ideas! Thanks so much for your reply!

14 hours ago, Lankyliz said:

Hi there I'm having gb in a month so perhaps we can help each other xx:wub:

Sounds great! We can cheer each other on!

14 hours ago, cinwa said:

In the early stages, meat of any kind can be a bit of a hit and miss affair but finely sliced deli meats seem to go down well and a little bit of mayo can help (fat free if you wish).

Something like Oscar Mayer Rotisserie Chicken Breast has 10g protein per 2 oz, cottage cheese has around 6g protein per 1/4 cup, a cup of milk approx. 8g protein.  All will help but early out it's pretty much impossible to meet your protein requirements from food alone and shakes were (and as a non-meat eater still are) invaluable.

I have been trying different protein shakes to find some I like. The Premier RTD Banana and strawberry are both good. 

14 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

this is what i did/still do at times with my meat....this is chicken breast (I throw a few in the crock pot and cook...do NOT overcook) then I chop it up in my little food chopper (a must-have as far as I am concerned.  I have a kitchen ninja or use this one which is a kitchenaid....it has a chopped or puree switch.)   When I was first allowed pureed foods, I had to puree even my "refried beans" because they were too "solid" for me (I just added some water to help smooth them out)!  As I moved on, i just would chop up the chicken like this then add stuff so it wasn't dry.  (I would add refried beans/taco seasoning/salsa and top with a little plain greek yogurt (like sour cream) and shredded cheese.  OR I would add avocado and a light/healthier mayo (I use avocado oil mayo) and blend it up, OR I would add mayo and pickles and make a chicken salad.  My NUT says to always put something moist w/ the meat so it isn't dry (like a light sauce etc).  You really don't use much sauce on 2 oz of meat so she didn't even say it has to be light, i just get light ranch for dipping etc, but mostly I mixed in the moisture as described)  Here are some pic so you can see the consistency .  (BTW, this looks gross but mixed in with other things, it is actually quite delicious!)

image.jpeg.134df0d96b7797eaa721259d3b789175.jpeg

image.jpeg.c77eae51fcac8d68dd13825fdffc685c.jpeg

Wow! Great ideas! Thank you so much for all the help!

5 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

Thanks for the website link! I’ll check it out for recipes. You guys are so much help!

Besides thin-sliced deli meats, my program only allows, as far as meat goes, ground beef or turkey for the first 6 mos, and it has to be chewed well. At the bottom of your new pouch, the stoma (the opening into the intestine) will only be the size of an M&M, so you want to make sure everything is well chewed. So far I've tolerated most "soft" beef very well, although I've only had ground, and the kind in canned chili.

Chicken has been horrible for me, all three attempts have been miserable and I've given it up for a number of months.

I can  have quality cuts of steak at 6 mos, but in all honestly I'm in no hurry to get there.

4 hours ago, Michael_A said:

Besides thin-sliced deli meats, my program only allows, as far as meat goes, ground beef or turkey for the first 6 mos, and it has to be chewed well. At the bottom of your new pouch, the stoma (the opening into the intestine) will only be the size of an M&M, so you want to make sure everything is well chewed. So far I've tolerated most "soft" beef very well, although I've only had ground, and the kind in canned chili.

Chicken has been horrible for me, all three attempts have been miserable and I've given it up for a number of months.

I can  have quality cuts of steak at 6 mos, but in all honestly I'm in no hurry to get there.

Wow that sounds harsh to me. I had scotch fillet steak at about three weeks. My surgeon lifted all restrictions at my two week post-op check. I really have no problem with any meats other than chicken breast. My surgeon did tell me my stoma was going to be made larger than normal because firstly my pouch had to be smaller, and secondly the stoma I had in my first WLS scarred over completely. He didn't want that to happen again. I guess that might well be why I tolerate foods others seem to have problems with. It's weird at times that I feel food lower in my intestines pretty soon after eating them.

44 minutes ago, Aussie H said:

It's weird at times that I feel food lower in my intestines pretty soon after eating them.

I think it's all around weird that we can feel these kinds of things at all! 

@Animalrescuer18

You might check out how people make pulled pork or other shredded BBQ. This goes to the use of some sauce as both @Jen581791 and @Cheesehead suggest, as well as nice soft itsy-bitsy pieces of meat.

@Michael_A Sorry to hear you are not eating chicken / poultry. FWIW I am still making batches of confit chicken and duck legs and it literally falls apart (plus it tastes, um, worthwhile). If you have the time, salt and herb your chicken legs the day before and refrigerate them; wipe don't wash the salt off the next day and then submerge in an inexpensive olive oil (or whatever, traditionally it was duck fat) and then oven cook for 3-5 hours at 200-250 F to bring the leg temp up to 160F. I vacuum bag the legs with a little fat and store in the fridge, they are cook for months this way from a food safety view. 

Edited by BurgundyBoy

I have made Barbecue Chicken with the chicken I chop up.  Also someone here suggested I make buffalo chicken dip with extra chicken in it and i made it a little lighter and with lots of chicken (see pic above) and it was delicious!  You can mix that chicken with most anything!  (and I do!)

11 hours ago, Michael_A said:

At the bottom of your new pouch, the stoma (the opening into the intestine) will only be the size of an M&M

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the stoma is changed only for Gastric Bypass, and it is not changed for Sleevers.  Personally, I have had no issues with meat.  I could not stand the idea of puree meat either, so I never pureed.  I believe my plan allowed meat at 6 weeks ish, and I started with thin deli turkey/shrimp/salmon/ground beef.  I was a little worried at first and chewed the heck out of everything.  In the beginning, 2 ounces of finely sliced deli turkey was SO much to eat!  I love meat so I am very thankful to not have issues there.

16 minutes ago, TammyP said:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the stoma is changed only for Gastric Bypass, and it is not changed for Sleevers.  Personally, I have had no issues with meat.  I could not stand the idea of puree meat either, so I never pureed.  I believe my plan allowed meat at 6 weeks ish, and I started with thin deli turkey/shrimp/salmon/ground beef.  I was a little worried at first and chewed the heck out of everything.  In the beginning, 2 ounces of finely sliced deli turkey was SO much to eat!  I love meat so I am very thankful to not have issues there.

You are correct :-)  I was directly addressing the OP, who indicated in their profile that they are Gastric Bypass. 

I could always eat chicken and pork, but if I made shredded chicken or pork it was a no go for quite a long time.  If you do make pulled meat add lots of broth.  I could have chicken on week 4 or 5.  But chew very well.  My nut had suggested applesauce (sf) with pork but I don’t like my food mixed.  I cook for a living and love to cook but I’m the pickiest person!  Probably why I live on pretty much the same things;).  

10 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

I have made Barbecue Chicken with the chicken I chop up.  Also someone here suggested I make buffalo chicken dip with extra chicken in it and i made it a little lighter and with lots of chicken (see pic above) and it was delicious!  You can mix that chicken with most anything!  (and I do!)

That sounds delicious!