CheeringCJ

Meat and measuring

So, I don't really think I have a great NUT....and I feel like I never get enough info. So I'm coming to my expert friends here.

My NUT says to weigh everything with a scale. I hadn't been able to find mine til last week so I have been doing that just recently. Before I was measuring 1/2 cup meals. I'm also always trying to get protein in so the last few days I measured 4 oz of meat and sat down to eat. I could only eat 2-2.5 oz before filling up. I'm chewing a lot and pausing between bites etc but before this I was eating a lot of lightly puréed stuff and now I'm chewing (just to eat like the family). I've heard some ppl mention here they only have 2 oz meat. Was I just being naive to think I could eat 4 oz of meat or can I not do it Bc it isn't puréed?  I'm ok with only eating 2 oz, I just don't know if I'm "doing this right" ;) And silly question, but should I weigh meat pre or post cooking? (Been measuring it after cooking, but it just looks like a huge amount)

So I guess what I'm wondering is, how do you measure your meals, with a measuring cup or scale?  

Both meals yesterday and today I had measured 4oz meat, ate two and was full and had nothing else and I'm thinking my NUT wanted me to fit in 2 oz veggies with it but couldn't possibly. So clearly I can't eat the 4oz of meat (I really feel silly for believing I could) but once I eat the two oz meat I can't fit anything else!

Can anyone share what they are eating and how they measure it (I'm 10 wks out tomorrow)

Edited by CheeringCJ

when I did measure, I was measuring pre-cooked weights. I also didn't sweat it if I couldn't finish it. I did protein supplements. I then realized I could not do meat at all and went vegetarian for 2 years. So that's about all I can do for you on this one! 2-1/2 years out, I don't measure anything. I can tell just by looking at something if it is too much.

You probably already know my answer to this, CJ!  I still can't eat more than about 2 oz of solid protein, and I'm two months ahead of you.  I've JUST now gotten to the point where I can eat an entire container of yogurt (5.3 oz) in half an hour or so! 

However, at my appointment a couple of weeks ago, my nutritionist thought I should be capable of 3-4 oz of meat if I went slow enough and chewed thoroughly enough.  She was mistaken, lol :) 

It took me months (you are less than 3 months!) to get more than 2 ounces.  I’m talking at least 6 months.  Because I eat my meat first I shoot for 4 ounces (there are days when that just doesn’t happen).  I feel I’m doing good with 3.  I’m not a veggie person for the most part so I may have a bite or two of them, or not!  (During garden time it’s different).  Are you getting your protein requirements in?  Whether with shakes or bars?  Protein snacks?  And I was told it post cooking weight, but each NUT is different.  

@Kio, yeah sure!  Like I say it took me forever.  And there are some days that just isn’t happening. I wonder how many of these NUTs have had wls surgery?  Most times I think they are going by what they have read.  I’m not stuffing myself to the “omg I think I’m going to die!  Where’s my papaya enzymes!” Stage.  

1 hour ago, Cheesehead said:

Are you getting your protein requirements in?  Whether with shakes or bars?  Protein snacks?  And I was told it post cooking weight, but each NUT is different.  

I WAS when I was doing puréed, but this weekend I was only in the high 50s trying to eat/chew my meat, so I had to supplement with a shake. I don't mind doing that for a while more, I wasn't expecting to EAT all my protein this early but the shakes (all kinds so far) are making me nauseated so I tried to eat more meat. I can get 3.5 oz of puréed chicken in (not really totally puréed but ground up a bit like this pic)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Mine told me she wanted me to aim for a piece of meat roughly the same size as a pack of playing cards. Rarely can I ever eat that much....but sometimes it goes down. This pouch of mine is completely unpredictable! I don't weigh anything these days but I never weighed meat anyway. 

1 hour ago, Cheesehead said:

@Kio, yeah sure!  Like I say it took me forever.  And there are some days that just isn’t happening. I wonder how many of these NUTs have had wls surgery?  Most times I think they are going by what they have read.  I’m not stuffing myself to the “omg I think I’m going to die!  Where’s my papaya enzymes!” Stage.  

Yeah, I doubt they understand WLS much.  Mine has this video with very healthy foods on it, but like clip art from weight watchers or something....delicious and nutritious but huge portions, VERY unrealistic!!!

image.png

image.png

What’s important to not feeling awful is volume (your stomach is only so big) but what’s important for counting macros and calories is weight, because it’s more precise for most things. Meat, particularly blenderized meat, is probably the same in both cases because it doesn’t vary a lot, I would guess. You need to learn your magic volume (that comes with time and practice) but should probably weigh to track intake. If you weigh things and then just pay attention to how much you can comfortably eat, your brain will eventually figure out your magic volume. I always eat on the same plate or bowl when I’m eating at home (one style of each) so I can easily tell how much is enough and not too much.

Don’t push yourself to eat larger volumes than comfortable! As many have said, 2 or 3 ounces might be it for a while (or forever?). I eat about 2 oz of seafood or fake meat - more is painful. 

It’s topics like this that worry me a little, lol. I always weigh my food, after cooking, and never go over 4-4.2 ounces on the scale. I’d say 5 out of the 7 days per week, I can finish it. I can also eat a full 5.3 ounce yogurt with chia seeds, no problem. It did take me a while to work up to 4 ounces though. Probably 5 months or so. I’ll never forget the day I was cleared to have fish, lol. I was pretty excited about it. I put 3 ounces on the scale. I took my plate to the table, sat down, and started eating it. 1.8 ounces later, I couldn’t have eaten one more bite if I tried lol. I don’t know what I was thinking trying to eat 3 ounces of fish at 8 weeks out :) It took me a while to get all of my protein in though, because my surgeon had me stop the protein shakes at somewhere around 5 weeks, I think. Now I get anywhere from 70-85 grams per day...mostly because I eat mainly chicken, shrimp, eggs, cheese and yogurt. 

The part that worries me though, is that I seem to be able to handle the full 4 ounces most of the time, and some that are farther out than I am can’t. It makes me feel like I’m doing something wrong, when I know I’m probably not. I will probably always weigh my food, because I never want to go over the 4 ounce mark and risk stretching my pouch. I eat a lot of sliced chicken (deli) and cheese sticks, so that’s pretty easy to eat the full 4 ounces. It’s the days that I eat the denser foods that I have trouble getting the full amount down. 4 ounces of food weighed on the scale is more than a half cup of most foods. I find it’s more like 3/4 cup...but I know it sure looks like a lot of food when it’s cut up into little pieces on the plate, lol. It sounds to me like you are right on target for 10 weeks post op :) 

Oh and as a btw, lol, I eat very little veggies. A couple of green beans, one or two cherry tomatoes, etc, when I can fit them in after my 4 ounces of protein.

Edited by Nana Trish

1 hour ago, Nana Trish said:

It’s topics like this that worry me a little, lol. I always weigh my food, after cooking, and never go over 4-4.2 ounces on the scale. I’d say 5 out of the 7 days per week, I can finish it. I can also eat a full 5.3 ounce yogurt with chia seeds, no problem. It did take me a while to work up to 4 ounces though. Probably 5 months or so. I’ll never forget the day I was cleared to have fish, lol. I was pretty excited about it. I put 3 ounces on the scale. I took my plate to the table, sat down, and started eating it. 1.8 ounces later, I couldn’t have eaten one more bite if I tried lol. I don’t know what I was thinking trying to eat 3 ounces of fish at 8 weeks out :) It took me a while to get all of my protein in though, because my surgeon had me stop the protein shakes at somewhere around 5 weeks, I think. Now I get anywhere from 70-85 grams per day...mostly because I eat mainly chicken, shrimp, eggs, cheese and yogurt. 

The part that worries me though, is that I seem to be able to handle the full 4 ounces most of the time, and some that are farther out than I am can’t. It makes me feel like I’m doing something wrong, when I know I’m probably not. I will probably always weigh my food, because I never want to go over the 4 ounce mark and risk stretching my pouch. I eat a lot of sliced chicken (deli) and cheese sticks, so that’s pretty easy to eat the full 4 ounces. It’s the days that I eat the denser foods that I have trouble getting the full amount down. 4 ounces of food weighed on the scale is more than a half cup of most foods. I find it’s more like 3/4 cup...but I know it sure looks like a lot of food when it’s cut up into little pieces on the plate, lol. It sounds to me like you are right on target for 10 weeks post op :) 

Oh and as a btw, lol, I eat very little veggies. A couple of green beans, one or two cherry tomatoes, etc, when I can fit them in after my 4 ounces of protein.

I wonder if I (we all) will ever be able to not worry about something! ha!  I worry because I could eat more than 4 oz if I tried (I just don't let myself) BUT if I could only eat 2 oz, I'd worry I wasn't getting enough in...ugh!  I think measuring is a good idea...I can't be trusted to eyeball it (at least not this soon out)

15 minutes ago, CheeringCJ said:

I wonder if I (we all) will ever be able to not worry about something! ha!  I worry because I could eat more than 4 oz if I tried (I just don't let myself) BUT if I could only eat 2 oz, I'd worry I wasn't getting enough in...ugh!  I think measuring is a good idea...I can't be trusted to eyeball it (at least not this soon out)

And *I* worry constantly about my calorie intake!  If I get to 1000 I think I'm way too high.... if I'm around 800 I think I'm too low... and regardless of calorie level I worry I'm eating too OFTEN, because it takes me 4-5 meals to get to 800 OR 1000!

FWIW, I tend to weigh but not to measure, if that makes sense.  I can easily eyeball a teaspoon, a tablespoon, a quarter cup, a half cup... but when it comes to ounces of solid protein I'm totally lost, even with all the cute deck-of-cards guides in the world.

Edited by Kio

58 minutes ago, Kio said:

And *I* worry constantly about my calorie intake!  If I get to 1000 I think I'm way too high.... if I'm around 800 I think I'm too low... and regardless of calorie level I worry I'm eating too OFTEN, because it takes me 4-5 meals to get to 800 OR 1000!

FWIW, I tend to weigh but not to measure, if that makes sense.  I can easily eyeball a teaspoon, a tablespoon, a quarter cup, a half cup... but when it comes to ounces of solid protein I'm totally lost, even with all the cute deck-of-cards guides in the world.

I worry about my caloric intake too. I have this idea in my head that I HAVE to keep it between 650-750 calories a day. 800 seems too high and 600 too low. No one has ever told me I need to stay within those boundaries. I guess that’s just where my brain settled. No idea why. But I do have to weigh my food, because the deck of cards analogy never worked for me either. I plan on adding some calories in once I’m at maintenance, but it’ll be avocado, veggies, etc. 

As far as how many times a day you are eating...I have seen people on the forum say they eat anywhere from 3-6 times a day. I think as long as they are actual meals, and you’re not grazing, it’s however you need to eat to get your nutritional needs met. I eat 4 times a day. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and a yogurt for a snack. I shoot for every 4 hours, because that seems to give me the most energy and I feel the best. I think it’s all a big balancing act and finding out what works best for you is the goal. 

1 hour ago, CheeringCJ said:

I think the farther out you get, the easier it is to relax about some things. I still worry about a lot of things at 8 months out, but it isn’t taking over my life anymore. Once you start trusting the process more, and start seeing results, the need to obsess (at least in my case) starts to loosen up a bit. Even on the days that I’ve screwed up the most, I’m STILL weighing my food, and making the best bad choices possible. So the good habits do become ingrained if you adhere to the plan. 

I dont eyeball anything, lol...I’m always wrong!

Edited by Nana Trish

I gave up worrying about 3 years out.  I stay the same... I eat pretty much the same old thing too.  I am in child nutrition I am good at eyeballing portions; at work everything is measured 1 1/2 oz, 2 oz, 3 oz and 4 oz.  occasionally at home I double check on the scale.  

My nut has a “sample” plate of plastic food.  There is a huge chunk of chicken, green beans and a half cup portion of mashed potatoes on it.  I laugh and tell her I’d be lucky to get half the chicken down, mashed potatoes (is she crazy?!) and I don’t touch green beans...pre surgery she’d pull it out and I thought that’s fine, now I look and there’s no way!

This thread is a good one, and it caused me to weigh my meat (chicken) that I had for dinner.  To be honest, I have not weighed anything since the first month or two post-surgery.  I started to worry after reading this post LOL.  Chicken was 3.5oz, plus I had several bites of a small salad. 

I worry too about my intake sometimes, since I don't track calories.  And my body seems to like being at 160 pounds.  So I will be more conscious now of weighing again, just in case I am doing anything to cause my body not to want to go into the 150s...

I weigh everything when I am cooking for just myself, or myself plus my wife. When we host dinner parties now I don't, but I know that I trust my eyes now to keep things moderate. We had friend over two nights ago and I must have only had 2 or 3 ozs of swordfish -- and perhaps a glass or two of Fermented Grape Juice -- as well as good cheese and a slice of my sourdough bread,  and had no question I was not straying outside my intake boundaries. My view is I need to weigh things to keep myself honest and to help me to judge the times when I don't or can't weigh my meals. 

When I read this thread my antennae are up -- worried my wonderful friends here with superb weight loss to date will find it 'too hard' an adjustment to go to maintenance caloric intake after they have rationalized very low caloric intake during the acute loss period. How do you go from 800 calories a day to 1600 without it seeming to be too much? Yet that may be the transition that is needed. 

Not sure from day to day that my capacity to eat XXX food stays the same. Maybe some days can eat 6 ozs of grilled fish, another day only 3 or 4 ozs...

@TammyP I think you are doing FINE if you and your body keep at about 160 without measuring things compulsively. Clearly you have internalized and live the maintenance that keeps you there! 

@BurgundyBoy

honestly I know round about what my caloric intake is,  but I really don't care....I only know because MyFitnessPal tells me every day I am like 700-900 calories remaining so I know I am always under the "recommended amount for weight loss for someone my size".  but I really just look at the protein/water intake.  I don't think I will worry about my calories until I have to adjust to maintenance...and really then, hopefully just to figure out the sizes of portions/meals I need.

But honestly how you do it sounds like a great idea....varying things seem to be what keeps the body guessing, so if it is 6 oz one day and 4 oz the next it is probably better for you.

Edited by CheeringCJ

30 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Not sure from day to day that my capacity to eat XXX food stays the same. Maybe some days can eat 6 ozs of grilled fish, another day only 3 or 4 ozs...

@TammyP 

Yep, no consistency with my ability to eat certain amounts either. Somedays I can definitely eat bigger portions of the same foods than other days. There is no reason that's obvious to me either for the differences day to day. I weigh and measure nothing....and haven't since before surgery. To me tracking is something I refuse to do because in the past it became obsessive and really didn't benefit me in any way.  That said I don't believe all calories are equal so why obsess over calories that are chalk and cheese. Instead I choose to be mindful of the nutritional value of what goes in my mouth. For me that is a way to eat that I should be able to stick to for the rest of my life....tracking on the other hand is NOT!!!!

3 hours ago, Kio said:

when it comes to ounces of solid protein I'm totally lost, even with all the cute deck-of-cards guides in the world.

I agree....I've never seen a deck of cards shape piece of meat!  Nor a center of your palm shaped piece!  And I don't cut my cheese into thumb tip shapes either!!! haha!

1 hour ago, BurgundyBoy said:

When I read this thread my antennae are up -- worried my wonderful friends here with superb weight loss to date will find it 'too hard' an adjustment to go to maintenance caloric intake after they have rationalized very low caloric intake during the acute loss period. How do you go from 800 calories a day to 1600 without it seeming to be too much? Yet that may be the transition that is needed. 

BB, 

I worry about upping my calories at maintenance too. But I won’t be going that high during maintenance. I think 1,600 will be well over what I’m shooting for. Obviously, I don’t know yet what my needs will be. But I truly can’t see myself eating over 1,100-1,200 at that point. Who knows though, right? :) I think it’s going to be a matter of adding calories in slowly...kind of like immediately post op when we were adding new foods in each week. 

I know for a fact that my capacity to eat certain foods changes as well several times a week. I don’t really know what that’s about.  I eat the same things during the week for the most part, and some days I can’t finish the exact same meal I had no problem eating the day before.

47 minutes ago, Aussie H said:

Yep, no consistency with my ability to eat certain amounts either. Somedays I can definitely eat bigger portions of the same foods than other days. There is no reason that's obvious to me either for the differences day to day. I weigh and measure nothing....and haven't since before surgery. To me tracking is something I refuse to do because in the past it became obsessive and really didn't benefit me in any way.  That said I don't believe all calories are equal so why obsess over calories that are chalk and cheese. Instead I choose to be mindful of the nutritional value of what goes in my mouth. For me that is a way to eat that I should be able to stick to for the rest of my life....tracking on the other hand is NOT!!!!

I totally get what you’re saying here. In the past when I dieted, I would obsess over tracking. Even when I was first post op I was obsessed with it. But now, I do it as part of my regular routine. Not just for the sake of keeping track of calories, but also so I can actually remember what I ate. And especially my water consumption. My memory is THAT bad. I don’t know if I’ll always have to, or want to, do it. But I admire the fact that you don’t have to and you’re as successful as you are :) 

1 minute ago, Nana Trish said:

I admire the fact that you don’t have to and you’re as successful as you are :) 

Thanks Trish. Unfortunately it is due to years (if not decades) of tracking obsessively in past diet attempts. I vividly remember one of my sisters saying after her lapband surgery that her nutritionist said she never wanted her patients to consider themselves as "dieting" again. While my sister took this rather literally and never lost another ounce post surgery, I decided it meant more a lifestyle change to nutritional/ mindful eating. I mean seriously what else could it mean. My sister did tell me yesterday that she is scheduling an appointment with her surgeon to talk about having her lapband removed and having a bypass done. I certainly hope her nutritionist makes this "no more dieting" theory a little more specific this time!!!!

Yeah, @Aussie H, the ‘no more dieting’ theory can be dangerous without an explanation behind it, for sure!! I think the whole point to everything we do post op is that it results in a healthy, permanent lifestyle change and mindful eating. You’ve done that, and you don’t have to diet anymore!!

Edited by Nana Trish

55 minutes ago, Aussie H said:

Thanks Trish. Unfortunately it is due to years (if not decades) of tracking obsessively in past diet attempts. I vividly remember one of my sisters saying after her lapband surgery that her nutritionist said she never wanted her patients to consider themselves as "dieting" again. While my sister took this rather literally and never lost another ounce post surgery, I decided it meant more a lifestyle change to nutritional/ mindful eating. I mean seriously what else could it mean. My sister did tell me yesterday that she is scheduling an appointment with her surgeon to talk about having her lapband removed and having a bypass done. I certainly hope her nutritionist makes this "no more dieting" theory a little more specific this time!!!!

wow, that is a DANGEROUS thing to say!  Even my cardiologist said when he was doing my preop clearance "don't even think of doing this if you are NOT willing to change your entire lifestyle!"  he went on to tell me that he had 3 girls in his office all have the surgery.  all 3 lost 75-100 pounds.  two gained it all back bc they didn't change and one is still successful after 5 yrs bc she changed everything!  my dr/NUT kept saying the same thing....CHANGE is necessary!  My psych eval talked all about mindful eating....I was surrounded by people that told me over and over CHANGE was ESSENTIAL!  I guess I am not really "dieting" but I guess it is a "dietary change"  but still not the same as it was beforehand!  and I accepted that long before I let them cut me and take out by stomach! :)