GigiGogo

Two Months Out and I Keep Gaining and Losing the Same 4 pounds

Okay--I need help! For the past month I keep gaining 4 pounds, losing those 4 pounds, then gaining those 4 pounds. I'm eating approximately 600-800 calories a day, protein an average of 80 grams a day, carbs very low-25 carbs a day...I'm walking for 20-30 minutes a day. I'm drinking 64+ ounces of water a day.

What am I doing wrong??? I have never heard of anyone gaining weight when they were just sleeved.

I cannot tell you how down I feel about this. Should I reduce my calorie intake? Thinking about just going on protein shakes for awhile to see if I can lose weight...I didn't do all that I did to be gaining weight on the sleeve.

how are your BMs?  I only have about 2/wk....and i lose weight afterwards then go up a little when i am "collecting" for the next one...then go down again...it is odd but I am used to it.  

@GigiGogo - Can you give us an example of your daily food intake?

2 hours ago, GigiGogo said:

Okay--I need help! For the past month I keep gaining 4 pounds, losing those 4 pounds, then gaining those 4 pounds. I'm eating approximately 600-800 calories a day, protein an average of 80 grams a day, carbs very low-25 carbs a day...I'm walking for 20-30 minutes a day. I'm drinking 64+ ounces of water a day.

What am I doing wrong??? I have never heard of anyone gaining weight when they were just sleeved.

I cannot tell you how down I feel about this. Should I reduce my calorie intake? Thinking about just going on protein shakes for awhile to see if I can lose weight...I didn't do all that I did to be gaining weight on the sleeve.

How much did you lose the first month?  If you dropped a huge amount your body may be just catching up.

Hi @GigiGogo - it sounds like you're in a pretty miserable headspace at the moment. I can't imagine your frustration! Honestly, if you're tracking your intake and it's that low, I don't think there's any way you could be NOT losing - unless your body is just doing something weird holding on to the weight until it will all whoosh away at once. I know it sounds really trite, but I think you have to be patient and let your body do its thing - maybe like @tracyringo said, your body is just holding steady after a big initial month? Just keep doing what you're supposed to be doing and your body will cooperate eventually, I think. Have you let your team know that you've stalled in this way? Maybe they would have some insight?

My sympathies :( 

It turned out to be some kind of weird stall--I'm finally losing again! I also have chronic constipation & I'm sure that contributed in some way. Thank you for all of the replies...still playing phone tag with my bariatric team...and wondering if I am eating too few calories. It would be hard to eat more a day than I'm eating now...

3 hours ago, GigiGogo said:

It turned out to be some kind of weird stall--I'm finally losing again! I also have chronic constipation & I'm sure that contributed in some way. Thank you for all of the replies...still playing phone tag with my bariatric team...and wondering if I am eating too few calories. It would be hard to eat more a day than I'm eating now...

Whew! Thank goodness! 

Constipation sucks - make sure you're being aggressive in trying to take care of it so it doesn't get out of hand (Miralax, senna tea, psyllium in your shake, whatever works best for you). 

You're eating about how much I was for the first 6 months or so. I bumped up to a pretty consistent 800 at around 6 months and stayed there until recently. That's not to say my way is best (who knows why one thing works for some people and not others or what the long term effects of xyz are) but just to say that someone else out there was eating like you at your stage. I agree that at that point, more calories would have been tricky for me, although not for everyone. 

GigiGogo,

I'm with Jen on the Miralax etc.  I used that pretty much every day (in my Crystal Light) with a stool softener for months.  If I didn't I had really hard stools.