Animalrescuer18

Getting enough protein

I haven’t had surgery yet. It’s not scheduled until March. I’m just curious about protein intake. Between drinking 64oz’s of liquid and taking in all the needed protein, does it seem like you spend the entire day eating and drinking? Especially since you have to wait 30 minutes after eating before you can drink something. I know I will learn how to do it but I’d love input and suggestions for getting all the nutrients and liquids in. Thanks!

This may not be the answer you want to hear, but... yes. Ha. :-) Especially at first - it felt like drinking, and then eating my purees at that stage was my JOB. It took a lot of energy and focus. At eight weeks now it's much better, since I can drink faster. I still have to start early on fluids to get them all in. 

At first, you can typically count your liquid protein as part of your 64 ounces of fluid. It took me 4 weeks at least to be able to separate them and get 64 oz of clears. 

My best advice is to sip slowly and constantly. You won't need to wait the 30 minutes until you start purees, so just stay focused on fluids at first. 

Edited to add: I had a sleeve, but I think my advice still applies. 

Edited by kristinwitha_k

55 minutes ago, kristinwitha_k said:

This may not be the answer you want to hear, but... yes. Ha. :-) Especially at first - it felt like drinking, and then eating my purees at that stage was my JOB. It took a lot of energy and focus. At eight weeks now it's much better, since I can drink faster. I still have to start early on fluids to get them all in. 

Yup. This. 

It’s kind of like a job for a while! 

Yep! Timing fluid intake, protien consumption...... And don't forget about the vitamin timings....seems like you spend your entire day just timing everything you need to consume.

I Agree with what everyone has said. It becomes a full time scheduling job! But, the payoff is priceless!